Bollywood films revolve only around love and sex

ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:09am | IP Logged
Bollywood films revolve only around love and sex: Ashutosh Gowariker
Published: Thursday, Jan 13, 2011, 15:12 IST
By Pallavi Kharade | Place: Pune | Agency: DNA

Noted film-maker Ashutosh Gowariker; make-up artiste, Vikram Gaikwad; and film scholar, Samar Nakhate participated in a seminar on the declining importance of historical films in Bollywood on Wednesday. The event marked the completion of 50 years of the landmark film, Mughal-e-Azam.

The seminar-cum-discussion was held on the sidelines of the Pune International Film Festival (PIFF). Gowariker said that in the early years of cinema, films were expected to present larger than life subjects and grand sets. That made historical films the popular choice.

"Even Dadasaheb Phalke chose a larger than life subject for his first film Raja Harishchandra instead of a normal father-son story. But in the next few decades, the fad died down because such films need a huge budget and our society was changing too," he said.

Gowariker said while digitalisation is an important aspect of historical films, it is the subject that decides the final outcome.

"Many big budget Hollywood films like Troy failed despite digitalisation and grand sets because they lacked the core story," he said.

Talking about the debacle of his latest film, Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey, Gowariker said, "It's not that we failed to communicate with the audience. The audience failed to come to the theatres. The film didn't have much entertainment value, but since it was about a revolutionary, I had to be true to the story. I could not take creative liberty and show romance instead. We also fell short on marketing. Now I am looking forward to the DVD and satellite release. In fact, I would like to do a period film again and also do a
murder mystery."

Expressing concern about Bollywood film-makers' and actors' apathy towards historical films, Gaikwad said, "In Hollywood, China and the European film industry, big budget historical films have brought about a revolution. Even Marathi films like Sant Tukaram and Telugu films in the same genre have a great sense of creativity, but Bollywood films revolve only around love and sex."

"Make-up and costumes are very important aspects of historical films, but sadly, most of the producers don't keep aside enough budget for both. Most of the young actors have nothing to do with history. While I want them to look like the characters, they just want to look good," he added.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_bollywood-films-revolve-only-around-love-and-sex-ashutosh-gowariker_1494012

Chippeshwini IF-Sizzlerz
Chippeshwini
Chippeshwini

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged
I've gotta give this one to him actually.
I can't explain how many times I've watched an angrezi movie and after finishing it, be like "damn.. why hasn't anyone tried this at home base?"

the answer to that question is not a mystery though. Filmmakers limit themselves to sex or love because sex and love sell, WONDERfully. aisa business kisi aur genre mein nahin hain.

whenever a director tries to go a little hatke, those films AUTOMATICALLY go into the "parallel" slot. even Vishal Bharadwaj's stuff, which, from the way he promotes them, I don't think he wants to happen. 

films like Udaan, Ishqiya, Rakhta Charitra, even Aag, are all cateogorized as "serious stuff". these movies will never make outstanding BO performances, because, sadly, people know that it's a content-based movie, and not necessarily a paisa-vasool, full on affair.

JUST IMO.

and I know some people might read this and think of certain examples that go against my stand, but I've gotta say that for every 1 succesful non love story, there are 10 equally or more successful love stories.

Edited by rachna_5 - 13 January 2011 at 3:20am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ruky786

ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged
Do we always have to put up with his historical movies? Not that there is anything wrong with it.
Gobsmacked IF-Rockerz

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:29am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ruky786

ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:53am | IP Logged
I wish i could have the title longer but it wont let me lol too long
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top