Posted: 04 June 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice
Originally posted by return_to_hades
Where were you and your ethical highness when people call homosexuals perverts & sexual deviants & medically abnormal people? Would it be acceptable for me to call anyone here perverted, deviant or abnormal? Would I not be expected to prove it rationally and scientifically that you do suffer a perversion, deviant or abnormal? Without that I am nothing but a liar and slanderer?
Why is it that such name calling explicit or implicit is perfectly acceptable? A practice known in most societies as bullying and hate speech perfectly acceptable to you all?
But then all of a sudden when someone points out that repeatedly presenting the research of a total bull organization as scientific backing is dumb - then its all of a sudden against the rules?
You were a mod...u know the IF COC better than anyone else...calling names directly to members is not acceptable...I don't know if that has changed...calling a section of people as weird or perverted is somebody's OPINION...its different from calling a member a name directly...Regarding my stand on calling the gays as weird/perverted...you can go and read in the previous pages...I am totally against it...I have said that they are normal/nice people...I am not going to go over the same thing again and again...I had expressed my opinion and I am out of the debate...my only concern as a member is that name calling is becoming too common on this forum and nothing is being done about it...as a result people like me who have no interest in calling others names...have to resort to the same at times when provoked and I absolutely hate that...I have raised this point just as a member who is concerned of this becoming a trend...this has nothing to do with this debate...I hope u understand that
- There was no direct name calling. If so one ought to report.
- In my opinion it was not a serious breach of COC, but something that can be sorted off in smoother way.
- In my opinion I think you tend to take these things more seriously, for me its more roll it off the shoulder.
- If you were genuinely concerned about what people say, you would have called out people not to do so when they make statements like that.
- Everyone knows in most social and legal situations, disparaging comments against race, gender, religion, sexual orientation are way more serious that a rhetorical question to a generic person. Because these comments foster "hate crime" and "hateful society". In this case it was especially wrong because there was an attempt to pass of these disparaging comments as "scientifically backed" facts.
I would only hope that people would take a stand and call out people when they make disparaging comments that constitutes hate speech, than call out a minor breach. But in the end its your choice what you feel you ought to call out, its completely your choice what ethical stance you choose to take. I personally am more concerned about DM becoming a place that fosters discrimination and looking down on groups, and less concerned about the fact that people loose their cool or show bad judgment at times.