Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: .Arjun

has there been any conclusive answer if same-sex attraction is natural or not ? I have read some articles stating its in our genes but again no conclusion as such.

While the actual genetic cause is unknown, majority of scientists accept it as a natural phenomenon.

http://www.nhm.uio.no/besokende/skiftende-utstillinger/againstnature/index-eng.html

It is usually religion that considers it unnatural. Even religious scientists are compelled to accept that its natural - so they view it as a curable disease.

The APA and AMA do not consider it as a disease though.

In today's world, where we are promoting equal rights/freedom  for everything, it is going to be challenging to stop/ban same sex marriages / relations. And if the same-sex attraction is a natural feeling, how can one even stop it ? Are you gonna ask people to stop their feelings ?

Only ten countries in the world do offer same-sex marriages. Although there are dozens of countries recognizing civil unions, domestic partnerships and other arrangements. There are still several countries that consider it illegal even punishable by death.

So people are expected to curb their natural feelings and desires and not act upon it. Its similar to clergy or monks being celibate, its curbing of natural human tendencies. Except in one case it is out of choice and in the other it is by force of law or society.

This is clearly very sensitive issue that needs to handled maturely. In today's world same-sex acts are encourage thru movies and all ....utterly nonsense IMO !

Movies only portray or reflect societal behavior. While they do influence and impact to a certain extent it does not have the power to change natural human behavior. Ask the dozens of straight people who watched Brokeback Mountain or followed seasons of Will & Grace if they turned gay.

Society has had the tendency to accuse media of causing things, for example saying violent movies and games caused gun violence. Michael Moore completely rubbished that theory in Bowling for Columbine. It has more to do with the natural disposition of a person rather than a movie. A person inclined to violence will take even scripture to encourage violence.

Similarly gay people will tend to lean towards their preferences and straight people to theirs.
Originally posted by: lalixlili

Sorry but I know a guy who's into 3somes because he likes wtaching po*n movies a lot -- they give him daring "ideas" in trms of sexuality...it bcomes an obssession for him....So Videos may have an impact on people's sexual activity - let's face it/./////

You cannot compare mainstream media to po*nography.

po*nography serves a completely different market and purpose. This is a very narrow section of the media that is actually intended to titillate, cater to deviant sexual behavior and pander to fantasies.

At the same time even po*nography does not change behavior. Literally thousands across the world watch po*nography that shows a lot of violent and deviant sexual behavior but their actual personal behavior is never influenced by it. Secondly, a person who does not like something will not watch it.
ROH .... wonderful post ...loved it ..am not quoting your post here to keep this short.

I looked at the link. Its still difficult to conclude if its natural. I don't know if there is something in DNA that is different for homosexual . I mean there should be a way to prove it. I kind of believe that homosexuality is natural but taking a skeptical view at whole issue as well.

Also about equal right, the world has advanced far more than what it was 50 yrs ago. Many contries have not legalized same-sex marriages but they do not reject such relationships either.

About movies, I did not mean to say that movies change orientation of someone but it changes the audience's perception. In today's world, it is hardly surprising to find gay couples in india. (such concepts were shown in movies like dostana or fashion) . Audience is now confortable with it.

Its been long since i watched bowling for columbine ...but I will see it again ..it was fun :)  I still believe that video has a major impact on mass. Let me gather some info for us to discuss this further.
Edited by .Arjun - 13 years ago
@ Arjun: I would not deny the influential power of the media. The media definitely influences people in many ways. However, influencing is not the same as causing. This is a major distinction. 

Many people, especially certain conservative groups accuse the media of 'causing' homosexuality in people. What the media does do is 'influence' people to tolerate or not tolerate homosexuality depending on the media source.

The genetic or biological cause for homosexuality has not been determined. However, there are many biological occurrences that have not been explained but deemed perfectly natural. It is estimated that 10% of the human population is gay or bisexual. That makes it more common (natural?) than polydactyly (extra thumb).

It has also been disproven that conditioning causes homosexuality. Gay parents have raised straight kids (both biological and adopted), while straight parents have ended up having gay/bi kids. Having gay friends, gay siblings, gay relatives has not resulted in straight people turning gay or having gay tendencies while gay people do come out in extremely conservative anti-gay towns. It has been proven that society can suppress/repress sexuality not alter/change it.

Hence, unless other factors are shown of primary cause it is more likely that it is natural than otherwise.

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: tulipbaby53

Okay, so back to this topic: Why should same sex attraction be stopped? I mean, attraction is normal phenomenon, so how can one control whether they are attracted to the same sex or opposite? 

i think personally, people need to take some action against PDA! I don't want a homosexual or a heterosexual couple having scene in public. One kiss is fine, but no more than that, please!

because when you unlock a padlock the key should fit in... you cant just shove it in teh lock to open the door....😆😆... Got made his set of locks and keys.. and remember just two key open no lock....this is the truth...
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

because when you unlock a padlock the key should fit in... you cant just shove it in teh lock to open the door....😆😆... Got made his set of locks and keys.. and remember just two key open no lock....this is the truth...

Ah, yes, DNA transcription, it is quite amazing.😛
qwertyesque thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

While the actual genetic cause is unknown, majority of scientists accept it as a natural phenomenon.

http://www.nhm.uio.no/besokende/skiftende-utstillinger/againstnature/index-eng.html

It is usually religion that considers it unnatural. Even religious scientists are compelled to accept that its natural - so they view it as a curable disease.

The APA and AMA do not consider it as a disease though. motivated by liberals and  polictical lefts..... i think it can be cured with proper psychotherapy and rehab...hormones and drugs.. drs just dont want to waste time on perversions if its not harming the society at large.. so they are not addressing them often...

Only ten countries in the world do offer same-sex marriages. Although there are dozens of countries recognizing civil unions, domestic partnerships and other arrangements. There are still several countries that consider it illegal even punishable by death.

So people are expected to curb their natural feelings and desires and not act upon it. Its similar to clergy or monks being celibate, its curbing of natural human tendencies. Except in one case it is out of choice and in the other it is by force of law or society. Pedophiles, kleptomanics, all have natural feelings for their targets and thats where they find themselves.....in jail or rehab... lgbt should all land up there...

Movies only portray or reflect societal behavior. While they do influence and impact to a certain extent it does not have the power to change natural human behavior. Ask the dozens of straight people who watched Brokeback Mountain or followed seasons of Will & Grace if they turned gay.

Society has had the tendency to accuse media of causing things, for example saying violent movies and games caused gun violence. Michael Moore completely rubbished that theory in Bowling for Columbine. It has more to do with the natural disposition of a person rather than a movie. A person inclined to violence will take even scripture to encourage violence. You or moore who is another nut... disregard power of influence from all sources... everybody can be driven to teh point of crime.. there is nothing a natural disposition.. its just what you think is right  and wrong....

Similarly gay people will tend to lean towards their preferences and straight people to theirs. all perverts have that same leanings.. doesnt mean they are right.. just like alcoholics... and other....liberal talk in this context is sheer BS....

Edited by qwertyesque - 13 years ago
How did I get the feeling that I am going to see your face here, Qwerty. 😆 And I wasn't proven wrong either. 😆
qwertyesque thumbnail

Moderator's Note:

Edited unnecessary argument and provocation

Edited by return_to_hades - 13 years ago
*edited by DT*
Edited by return_to_hades - 13 years ago