Only SONAM or VIDYA shld do my PYAASA role:WAHEEDA

-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Sonam or Vidya can reprise my 'Pyaasa' role: Waheeda Rehman

Mumbai, Jan 12: The veteran actress and the heroine of the 1957 classic "Pyaasa" Waheeda Rehman feels that certain films should be kept from remake. If, however, the film is re-made, Sonam Kapoor or Vidya Balan would fit best for her character, she says.

Reacting to actor Aamir Khan's wish to remake "Pyaasa", Rehman said, "It shouldn't be made. I don't have right to stop people. If it's made, then my role should be done either by Sonam Kapoor or Vidya Balan."

Remade version of certain classics lose the original drama and thus its impact, Rehman told reporters at Sa Re Ga Ma office here on Tuesday night where she was honoured with the release of an album 'Sitare Zameen Par', comprising her best 40 songs.

"Classics shouldn't be remade because if you make the remake of such films, comparisons are inevitable. The new version might be better, but the impact of the original version is difficult to replace from the mind of artistes and audience of our generations," she said.

"Some films look better in black and white only. The coloured version can't retain the same drama or impact of many black and white films made in our time. If 'Kaagaz Ke Phool' is remade in colour, it would be a disaster. It goes same for films like 'Pyaasa', 'Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam' or Nutan's 'Sujata'," she added.

Most of the songs in the album are of her choice, said the 74-year-old actress.

"Before compiling this album I was asked about my favourites, so I gave my list of choices, others they added of their own."

Asked if she still relishes the memories of shooting her favourite songs, she said, "Not all. But there are a few songs which take me back to those days when I had shot for the songs. Like 'Jane Kya Tune Kahi, Jaane Kya Maine Suni' from the film 'Pyaasa' is one of my favourite songs and with that I had got huge popularity."

"The lyrics, music and picturisation were fantastic. Even 'Waqt Ne Kiya' was excellently picturised."

Rehman being one of the finest dancers of her time doesn't find much varied choreography in today's films.

"Due respect to the artistes and the choreographer, because it's today's trend, there are more item numbers. In our time the songs were the part of the story. That's what I feel. I don't find much varied choreography in today's films," said Rehman. (IANS)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
it shouldnt be remade.

but then again, if there was a way we could infuse sonams looks with vidyas talent then we might have got somethign going, until then ..yeahh i don't think so
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Never liked the idea of remakes anyway
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
If they did then maybe I would have chosen Sonam because she does remind me a bit of Waheeda
naadanmasakalli thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Waheeda ji said it all 

What a slap on the faces of those who bash sonam & vidya Left right Center and don't leave any chance to bash them 

Ofcourse waheeda ji can see something that others can't 

But i agree with Her on not to remake it 
AreYaar thumbnail
Lovely interview....liked what she said about choreography not having that artistic sense to it much anymore....same way ab music bhi waisa nahin raha the way it was in the classic days....so yes, those classics shouldn't be touched....no remakes, please.

Sonam is just not there as an actress to play this role even if she physically fits the appearance of the role....and Vidya is a fine actress but I don't see her in this role either.....No current actress can recreate Waheeda Rahman's charm.
Edited by nureat01 - 13 years ago
Nuktaacheen thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
^^   like the rest, she'll also get there...!  

most of the actors and actresses learned on the job.... she needs a good director though, to bring out the best in her... although, i don't think they should remake pyaasa, but then again, it would be nice to have a remake of it... i don't think many of the youngsters have seen that movie... i only saw it because my mom loved to watch old movies... and well, i am old myself...!  πŸ˜³πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nuktaacheen

^^   like the rest, she'll also get there...!  

most of the actors and actresses learned on the job.... she needs a good director though, to bring out the best in her... although, i don't think they should remake pyaasa, but then again, it would be nice to have a remake of it... i don't think many of the youngsters have seen that movie... i only saw it because my mom loved to watch old movies... and well, i am old myself...!  πŸ˜³πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I'm not saying that she'll never get there......but as of right now.....4 films down, she's not there....so let's see if Pankaj Kapoor has worked a miracle with her in Mausam and Sonam will finally surprise me pleasantly acting-wise too. Pyasa shouldn't even be anywhere on the horizon for her.....a photoshoot is fine....playing that character in a movie is a whole another ballgame.....everyone's a work in progress.....hope to see Sonam improving in the future as well.
Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Waheeda Rehman has mentioned Sonam and Vidya for the consideration. Then it's a huge compliment for Sonam, she would be in tears by reading thisπŸ˜† For her it's no less than winning a filmfare Award. Since waheeda has mentioned Sonam, then i think she see something in sonam for the reason she took her name for the consideration. Even some actresses were horrible in the beginning of their career, i really do believe sonam has so much potential to become a better actor only if she tries harder. Let's hope Mausam will prove her critics wrong.

Originally posted by: Zareena

Waheeda Rehman has mentioned Sonam and Vidya for the consideration. Then it's a huge compliment for Sonam, she would be in tears by reading thisπŸ˜† For her it's no less than winning a filmfare Award. Since waheeda has mentioned Sonam, then i think she see something in sonam for the reason she took her name for the consideration. Even some actresses were horrible in the beginning of their career, i really do believe sonam has so much potential to become a better actor only if she tries harder. Let's hope Mausam will prove her critics wrong.

Obviously Sonam has potential, otherwise filmmakers wouldn't be investing in her
For me, she just needs to stop saying one thing and then doing the complete opposite...it's kind of hard to keep track what she agrees with and what she doesn'tπŸ˜†