India-Forums

Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai

personal issues and Indian homes

Polki_Zofi Senior Member
Polki_Zofi
Polki_Zofi

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged
I wonder what wrong that man said when he claimed that having a baby was his and his wife's personal issue! Is it a crime to have a personal life in a traditional Indian family? So terrific this was Confused. The way this girl is treated, and how timid and helpless she has become due to such treatment, is a pain to watch.

I sometimes watch this serial and just wonder in amazement at her condition. She sometimes adds to her problems with her frequent lies and siding with her inlaws while keeping her husband at bay when he tries to bring some form of liberty into her life! Confused

I wonder how one can live in such a life. She is also so much malnourished Ouch

By the way I am not an Indian, I am a Polish girl (its in Eastern Europe Embarrassed, more into the center Embarrassedfor some time and watch serials here with my husbands family LOL) ... I remain at awe and everything is so new to me. This kind of family still exist in your country Shocked , you like this?
now in India

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

SM28smrthMadhavi_Diblack.swanApoorva_22moonlight08beautiful16manasi_31_Dipsi__charu_iViews_Divya_remosalsa

Blukitten IF-Sizzlerz
Blukitten
Blukitten

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged
Hi polki,
            I know families depicted in indian TV shows would give you a cultural shock :).Everybody dosent live like tht in India infact I have never seen such tradition family as in YRKKH maybe coz I live in a metro city.India is still a male dominated society so tradition families do exist specially in small towns and villages.
India has got societies with different lifestyles....There a section of people whos lifestyle is not much different from any western society...there are conservative traditional families also.It depends on which part of society one belongs to.
I definitely would hate to be in Akshara'a place.Even I am married but thankfully my inlaws are not conservative.I dont live in a joint family and I am a working women so I am pretty independent to do whatever I feel like.
In case of YRKKH even if Akshara wants to live in her own way she wont be able to do tht.1st of all she's been conditioned to live in a traditional way.She's hardly 18-19 without a college degree so she's got no choice she's destined to live in that setup.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

moonlight08_Divya_

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged

@ Polki_Zofi

Very apt observations and relevant post. But as you must have had first hand experience living in India, nobody actually lives the way these illogically scripted T.V. serials are portraying. Actually most of them are portraying only a stereotype and artificial 'idealism' which is not even 'ideal' anymore, in reality, or no one is perusing it in actual practice. I agree with your POV and that is the logic in real life.

But in their convoluted logic of soap world, what they are showing is Heroine's resilience and strength to surpass so many adversities in old 'traditional' ways and her ultimate triumph in winning over her adopted family. By their standard, she is actually rejoicing at keeping her 'flock' together and happy- over and above the inevitable compromise of her own 'personal' comforts. For her, that is the duty which she has taken a vow about, the day she married and entered this household. And towards this, she will move on unwaveringly- many a time even at variance with the helpful Husband whose proclivity towards personal freedom will often clash with her sense of duty. What is more, in the end, even Husband will stand gratified at his wife's unfaltering discharge of 'duty' towards his family and will applaud her. For them this is the strength of the lead character- not her weakness. Only digression from this stereotype 'Bahu' of Indian soaps is her frequent lies in this serial. By even soap standards they are way too frequent and not at all reflecting any reality either.

Edited by smrth - 12 January 2011 at 10:25pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

d.y.Madhavi_Dimoonlight08Apoorva_22beautiful16_charu__Divya_

_charu_ IF-Sizzlerz
_charu_
_charu_

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Polki_Zofi

I wonder what wrong that man said when he claimed that having a baby was his and his wife's personal issue! Is it a crime to have a personal life in a traditional Indian family? 

this, he said to akshara, not his family...all of them wud have jumped a 100 ft above the ground ,if ever, naitik says this...in a joint family, you have to ask for privacy or either take it forcibly..slow and steady everyone will adjust if they understand..now parents r more understanding bec. children demand privacy at a very young age..toh they dun create a fuss when they get married......We have progressed a lot but when it comes to making babies, we r still living in 20th century..the moment couples gets married, their parents start demanding grandchildren..they say "you have to do it in future toh why not now?? ........if the first child is a girl, they say "the family should be complete", toh they r forced to have a 2nd baby (of course a boy)..if 2nd is a boy , fine, otherwise they say plan a third child ! it happened with me...i've seen a lot of couples who don't plan a family soon..toh their parents go in depression !!!! very few cases i heard that parents r fine with their childrens decision to raise a family...my bro.  was married for 6 yrs and he didn't plan a baby..my mom never asked my bhabhi once as to when she will do it or is there any problem bec. of which they r not planning...

So terrific this was Confused. The way this girl is treated, and how timid and helpless she has become due to such treatment, is a pain to watch.

she's not timid or helpless..this is her way of life and she's happy with it...have u ever seen her complaining abt any family member or any tradition or demand ?? 

I sometimes watch this serial and just wonder in amazement at her condition. She sometimes adds to her problems with her frequent lies and siding with her inlaws while keeping her husband at bay when he tries to bring some form of liberty into her life! Confused

exactly !  

I wonder how one can live in such a life. She is also so much malnourished Ouch

By the way I am not an Indian, I am a Polish girl (its in Eastern Europe Embarrassed, more into the center Embarrassedfor some time and watch serials here with my husbands family LOL) ... I remain at awe and everything is so new to me. This kind of family still exist in your country Shocked , you like this?
now in India

i dun know whether such families exist or not..def. not in metros...if they do, God bless those girls who get married into these families...again, if she's akshara, she'll adjust..

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

black.swanmoonlight08_Divya_

_charu_ IF-Sizzlerz
_charu_
_charu_

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by smrth

@ Polki_Zofi

Very apt observations and relevant post. But as you must have had first hand experience living in India, nobody actually lives the way these illogically scripted T.V. serials are portraying. Actually most of them are portraying only a stereotype and artificial 'idealism' which is not even 'ideal' anymore, in reality, or no one is perusing it in actual practice. I agree with your POV and that is the logic in real life.

But in their convoluted logic of soap world, what they are showing is Heroine's resilience and strength to surpass so many adversities in old 'traditional' ways and her ultimate triumph in winning over her adopted family. By their standard, she is actually rejoicing at keeping her 'flock' together and happy- over and above the inevitable compromise of her own 'personal' comforts. For her, that is the duty which she has taken a vow about, the day she married and entered this household. And towards this, she will move on unwaveringly- many a time even at variance with the helpful Husband whose proclivity towards personal freedom will often clash with her sense of duty. What is more, in the end, even Husband will stand gratified at his wife's unfaltering discharge of 'duty' towards his family and will applaud her. For them this is the strength of the lead character- not her weakness. Only digression from this stereotype 'Bahu' of Indian soaps is her frequent lies in this serial. By even soap standards they are way too frequent and not at all reflecting any reality either.

and it's shown that there is only one way of  keeping the adopted family happy..to agree to whatever they say...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

smrthMadhavi_Dimoonlight08_Divya_

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _charu_

@ Polki_Zofi

and it's shown that there is only one way of  keeping the adopted family happy..to agree to whatever they say...

Hey Charu- long time not seen!Big smile

I was trying to point out the serial maker's one dimensional, far from reality, linear way of scripting. Only things they borrow from the reality is a set-up (two three families), ambience and some plausible character sketches. Then on, after some initial brilliance or some occasional flashes in the pan, nothing stays real and we are stretched to find relevance-which we do, after allowing for these fables' soap drama nature.

Madhavi_Dimoonlight08_Divya_

_Dipsi_ IF-Rockerz
_Dipsi_
_Dipsi_

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 2:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _charu_

@ Polki_Zofi

well said....

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

moonlight08

moonlight08 IF-Rockerz

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

smrthMadhavi_Di_Divya_

Go to top