Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 6

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 6
Page 4 Page 6

Eventide

Eventide

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 5:43am | IP Logged
You need to think practically about whether you are passionate enough about writing full-time and would like to follow it through. If not, would it be okay if you need to pursue it as a hobby. There are a few avenues available for creative writing. Sailing in two boats would really not get you anywhere. You may work on becoming a doctor, but your heart would not really be in it.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Passion or Profession? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

U-No-Poo

IF-Sizzlerz

U-No-Poo

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

I think people really need to be practical when they try to venture into a non-traditional profession........because life is not all that easy.....otherwise we wouldn't be having any cashiers at walmart....we would all be happily pursuing our passions but let us not forget that for every...JK Rowling there are a million writers who did not succeed...

Not to discourage u or anything but I think one should always have a relaible profession and the passion can be continued on the side...as and when time permits

Best of luck to u in the field of ur choice.....I hope u get enough time to be a writerThumbs Up

what makes you think pursuing one's passion is easy and a cakewalk? it's 10x tougher because now you have to endure the disagreement of the society as well (in general). the point is, everyone has to struggle. if, for every JK rowling there are millions of other writers struggling, then for every ambani there are millions of other MBAians struggling too. I don't see every person with an MBA degree sitting in the CEO cabin of an MNC. I don't see every person with an MD degree sitting comfortably as a well known doctor in a private hospital. I don't see every person with a BTech/MTech degree working as a top class engineer in Tata motors. and I don't see everyone with a LLB degree being touted as the next ram jethmalani. 

bottomline is, nothing can guarantee you success. no amount of formal degrees and no amount of 'practical' thinking can give you a comfortable and problem-free life. at the end of the day it all boils down to whether you're hard working and determined enough to be able to walk towards success in spite of all the problems. but if you're working in a field where your heart doesn't lie, then all the struggle doesn't feel worth the effort, does it? if I like to cut grass in my lawn and I feel extremely passionate about it, then I'd be willing to endure whatever it takes to become the best grass-cutter in the world. but if I think 'practically' and decide to do engineering instead, I'll be sniffing around for a job like everyone else out there. I'll be a part of the petty rat race that exists in every system. I don't understand how this scenario is better.

the point is, there is no 'reliable' profession in today's world, unless one opts for a 9-5 government job. no private job guarantees lifetime employment, either you're cutting-edge or you're out. it's as simple as that. then why not pursue something that you're actually cutting-edge in? 

Edited by CZ.. - 14 January 2011 at 5:06pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

casper2return_to_hadestulipbaby53

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged
My goal is to become an out of work MBA. Write a book at Culvers and publish it. As an MBA I will do my own PR as well as promote Culvers. I will hold book signings at Culvers and invest all income earned in Culvers stock. Then I will get a deal for free meals at Culvers for life. Then I will buy a trailer in which I can live and park it in Culvers parking lots.

Then I will retire and spend the rest of my life traveling from Culvers to Culvers eating burgers and enjoying the sites. Hopefully, gas will be paid by my stock investments.

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged

Edited by blue-ice - 15 February 2011 at 10:15pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

My goal is to become an out of work MBA. Write a book at Culvers and publish it. As an MBA I will do my own PR as well as promote Culvers. I will hold book signings at Culvers and invest all income earned in Culvers stock. Then I will get a deal for free meals at Culvers for life. Then I will buy a trailer in which I can live and park it in Culvers parking lots.

Then I will retire and spend the rest of my life traveling from Culvers to Culvers eating burgers and enjoying the sites. Hopefully, gas will be paid by my stock investments. 
What an idea sir ji...but Khane ke liye mat jiyo......jeene ke liye thoda khavoo.......LOL 

epiphany.

IF-Sizzlerz

epiphany.

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 1:37am | IP Logged
I'd say, passion.

I have in mind the practical and impractical aspects of choosing my passion over something that would help me earn but for the kind of person I am, I know I will be able to excel only when I am doing what I am passionate about.

Every individual has a different take on this, no wonder I have had so many discussions as such. And when people discourage me, they assert that 'Arts' has no 'scope', it doesn't bother me because I am very clear with what I have to do. Just like you're provided you know you're going have it the practical way, to be a doctor. Though, that does not necessarily mean you should stop writing. Of course, when you're reading medicine, you will have extremely less time to pen down anything, but you will find time out somehow, if you're that passionate.

If practicality takes over passion, then that is all you need to know about one simple thing - you have all the time in the world to achieve what you're passionate about, but what you're needful of has to be done with first. I have seen this, you know, with people. Don't let go of your passion, that's all. Never do that or you'd be as aimless as hell, and that's sick!!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged
I recoment to read the book "Karma, Destiny and Career" , author Jenette Hucknall and
"Success v/s Joy" from Geet Sethi's he is a former billiards World champion from india.

I just wanna say If somebody has the talent for something, he/she requires only fine tuning and not blind thrusting of knowledge...My passion is become a leader and  become jurnalist.........am trying to tune my leadership qualities most of the time and I think a journalist is basically a rebellious person ... who wants the world to be a little better, who is basically a fighter -- and he has to fight for right causes(2 paper balance to get certificateConfused).....but unfortunatly am doing totaly different job with different passion ...may be or hope later I can fullfill my passion Big smileWink

Edited by Believe - 15 January 2011 at 2:03am

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 2:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by return_to_hades

What an idea sir ji...but Khane ke liye mat jiyo......jeene ke liye thoda khavoo.......LOL 

Stock investment hope u get OBJ to handle it LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top