Passion or Profession?

RiddhiB thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Passion or Profession? This is something really confusing that everybody has to face in life. As we turn into an adult, we have several responsibilities. Should we leave our passion for the profession..for making money? Or should we make our passion, our profession?

I know..great people would say that passion is more important..and one should never give up his/her passion. But guys..it's totally impractical.

Let's take an example, in my case, I wanna be a writer! But WRITER..in a country like INDIA!!??? Is this practical. Would I be earning enough..or just lost in crisis?? And more, I AM interested in being a doctor. I would love to be. But should I leave my passion for writing for this?

What I have thought now is to be a doc. cum writer! Would I be able to succeed? Please help guys!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RiddhiB

Passion or Profession? This is something really confusing that everybody has to face in life. As we turn into an adult, we have several responsibilities. Should we leave our passion for the profession..for making money? Or should we make our passion, our profession?

I know..great people would say that passion is more important..and one should never give up his/her passion. But guys..it's totally impractical.

Let's take an example, in my case, I wanna be a writer! But WRITER..in a country like INDIA!!??? Is this practical. Would I be earning enough..or just lost in crisis?? And more, I AM interested in being a doctor. I would love to be. But should I leave my passion for writing for this?

What I have thought now is to be a doc. cum writer! Would I be able to succeed? Please help guys!

I think we need a +ve thinking and passion to do these things in life... It is always good to find something that you like  becos it is our life...it should not be wasted in any way..... And if you have the feeling that you don't like any job and tht you have to do it, it becomes destructive.......... Thn you are pushing somehow, dragging urselfโ€ฆ and any kind of dragging is destructive.... When there is no joy, there cant be any creation....

I just wanna say...one should not sell one's life for a living.....Otherwise one day or other One is bound to be in deep misery abt it, n then nothing can be done whn the time is lost.... Change your work! ...There was no need to remain in it so long if you were not liking it. It is not too late yet change it....think +ve n enjoy the things u do...๐Ÿ˜ƒ

learn to say YES more And watch..then u can learn how to let go........you cannot learn how to surrender....๐Ÿ˜ŠYou are no longer defensive, you are no longer afraid. You say, "Everything is welcome"

Cheers

Roadrunnerz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Doctors can be writers too , whats going to stop you from writing if you really want to ๐Ÿ˜•
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Those who have the desire, commitment, willingness to take chances, resilience to endure setbacks, hope for good luck can turn their passion into a career. If you want to be a writer, musician, or whatever just go for it.

However, those who want to remain more grounded and temper their dreams with reality can always make their passion a hobby. Even while studying and practicing medicine you can always write. Take as many writing electives as you can, get a minor in writing or just attend workshops in your area. Get into writing and publishing medical papers, write a medical blog, try to get a medical column in a small newspaper, magazine or site โ€“ if you want to combine writing. Manage your time and set aside spare time to write recreationally โ€“ there are many channels. If you want a book published, work on manuscripts in spare time and work towards that goal in the sideline.

One of the people I know is a CA by education and profession. However, his passion was always photography. He always took several photos at vacations, events or even everyday stuff. He read books/blogs on photography and would submit photos to amateur contests, publish photos in blogs/FB. Now after a few years of this he has been able to assemble a professional grade portfolio and is considering options for part time/spare time professional work.

The key is to be reasonable and efficiently balance things.

Roadrunnerz thumbnail

Good thinking girl ๐Ÿ˜ƒ 
Whether you will succeed or not either as a doctor or a writer (or none *gulp*) will depend largely on your effort and aptitude . OK I answered only becoz U asked ๐Ÿ˜†
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
It's a tough situation to be put in when you find yourself having to make a choice between your passion or profession. The people out there who have managed to turn their passion in to a profession are very lucky people.

I'd love to work in a profession where I enjoy what I'm doing and I'm not doing for the sake of a bit of extra money but at the same time if I'm doing a job that I enjoy and not making enough to meet my basic needs or even if I just about manage to do that then I'd consider other options. 

If everyone was worried about their prospects of being a successful writer in India then well there would be no writers at all! At the same time we have to be realistic so I suppose if I was in your place and I didn't really mind studying medicine then I'd go ahead with that and at the same time try my luck as a writer. That way at least if your career in writing doesn't turn out that way you wanted it to then you have something to fall back on. If I love something so much, then I wouldn't be ready to give it up that easily. :)
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
It's very hard to make a decision like that. My sister like you, wants to be a writer, and we live in the USA. It's hard here too to become successful, but I told her, if this is your passion and you really want to do it, then do it! I told her to become an English professor, that way she can write as part of her career and inspire others too. She liked this idea, but then convincing Indian parents is another issue too.

I on the other hand have always had a passion for singing, but I'm not willing to go to Mumbai and leave everything here to struggle in Mumbai for X + years to come back home poorer than I left. So, sometimes you have to see reality vs. your dream. I even thought about musical theater, but it's the same story. 
RiddhiB thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your suggestions.
I heard somewhere that life would be perfect if "vocation" becomes "avocation"..I would love that!
But I have made my decision now..within a few months..i would turn into an Eleventhie..and i would choose medical field..but carry on my writing with it!
And I hope I'll succeed!!
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your suggestions.
I heard somewhere that life would be perfect if "vocation" becomes "avocation"..I would love that!
But I have made my decision now..within a few months..i would turn into an Eleventhie..and i would choose medical field..but carry on my writing with it!
And I hope I'll succeed!!

Yes normally most would say be a good doctor , and writing can be your hobby too. But you must have the interest to be a doc too.
In life we have to be practical. Once you have earned enough money you can afford to become a writer full time.
But if you are a most gifted writer then it would be different and you may want to take up journalism or some related field.

We had a son of an opposing politician who was studying law and was also a writer who won several prizes. He became a partner in a law firm and rose up very high. He still writes.

Perhaps you may want to read up on him

Roadrunnerz thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

At the same time we have to be realistic so I suppose if I was in your place and I didn't really mind studying medicine then I'd go ahead with that and at the same time try my luck as a writer. That way at least if your career in writing doesn't turn out that way you wanted it to then you have something to fall back on. If I love something so much, then I wouldn't be ready to give it up that easily. :)

I dont think that not minding studying medicine is the right reason to get into it. Unless you have some passion for that subject it would be very difficult to go through the grind it involves. If its just a paying job that someone needs there are a lot of easier, quicker options available.