DOTW:Parallel tracks in CID episodes

Posted: 13 years ago
In the last few months, starting from Aakhri Chunauti, we've been seeing episodes which are interconnected by a background story. After Aakshri Chunauti we had Daya's Shaadi track and now we have Abhijeet's Ateeth.

In the promos the focus is on the background story, which is running for several episodes, but when we see the episode the hyped background story takes a backseat and 75% of the run time consists of a normal episode.

The AC series was very disappointing as the story as a whole was not complete. Nothing was properly explained and the finale was a complete fiasco. Daya's shaadi track had some shocking moments. In the  end it turned out to be FW's usual formula - yeh sab naatak tha, thus pouring cold water on some lovely scenes involving our duo.

I am sure this parallel track method is just to keep us glued to the TV sets as they are running out of new ideas every week. We have said enough about the bi-weekly, so lets leave that issue aside for now. Also Daya's presence in Jhalak means that he'll be less available for CID and to ensure that Daya fans don't quit, they have brought this suspense track in CID. We can see that Daya is present only in the background track where Abhijeet is involved.

We'll just look back at CID over the last few years. We have had such parallel tracks before.

1. Abhijeet in Danger series which lasted for 6 (1/2 hour) episodes meaning a month and a half
2. Abhijeet's 'son' series...I don't remember how many episodes this lasted
3. Abhijeet-Shruti series - 4 episodes - meaning one month.

In the Abhijeet in Danger series,  we can see parallel khooni stories and Abhijeet and Daya carrying on investigation as if nothing has happened. Aditi was digging into this issue in the background. Don't you all think if the same series were shown now, we would be annoyed that it is going on for a month and a half? Wouldn't we be annoyed with the parallel tracks?

The same applies for Abhijeet's son series too. It went on for several episodes, and Abhijeet was missing from the Engraved Rice grains episode purely for this reason.

About Abhijeet-Shruti, we have made a short movie consisting of only the Shruti track and don't bother about the parallel tracks now. But back then were we not in suspense, watching the khooni mask and bad blood episodes just to see what's happening to Abhijeet?

Do you think such background stories should be shown at all?

Do you think that instead of embedding this main story into lacklustre khooni stories, they should make  2 hour special episodes once in a while on the lines of Behrupiya?

Would you have liked it if Behrupiya was split into parts and embedded within several khooni stories and stretched over 5-6 weeks?

Do post your views. Making this the 'Discussion of the week'. 😊

Edited by visrom - 13 years ago
Visrom u r absolutly right..we all guys are getting bore from this kind of series.
well, muja iss kind of stories sa bht zyada problem nai haa ager yah stories series ki kind ma na hon tu.
Like Behroopiya.just start and fininshed the story in more than two episodes.Atleast we will remember the story with good thoughts.
FW just trying to built a suspense. just intoduce the title by adding more more and more killing stories and make it long. thats  not a good idea.
we all guys are fed up with this.
Because of this thing i m now not interested in AKAKR series, bcz i knw in the last everythng is okay by saying that its all was drama to caught the criminals.
Aur iss beautiful dialogue ko suanan k lye huma abi atleast 2 weeks ka tu aur wait karna ho gaa.May be more than it.

Well, I beleive the story should revolve around Promo and not the other way round.  Offlate, in CID, Promo has nothing to do with the actual story.  This is misleading, sets wrong expectations and in the end, people feel dejected and annoyed.  We come and vent our feelings in the forum 😆   To be honest, the stories should be right through.  If we are talking about Abhijeet ka Ateet ka Raaz (AKAKR) then the story should be just that not some other stories and only in the end or somewhere in between for a minuscule seconds they show AKAKR
totally agree with u visrom i feel these stories are only for the sake of advertisement,or for viewer's attraction,in some cases they ,are not even complete,and of course not at all related to the main episode.
i think this is one of the episode why FW  is not concentrating in the main episode
of course some special at times would give the viewers some refreshment as well FW , time for making an interesting episode.

I completly agree with you Visrom. They just need to come up with new ideas instead of dragging a boring series which can be completed within two episodes. I think BP Singh is least concerned about the TRP's. Behroopiya Was The best episode.........

Well if episodes of the series don't contain parallel stories, the series will finish within 2-3 weeks only. So to increase their length, these stories are included in each episode. These stories shift our focus from the main series, distract us, fetch impatience to a great extent. Also due to these stories we get to see less of our trio who are, I hope you all will agree, one of the main reasons why we watch it.
Moreover as run time is shortened, they fail to provide some important  explanations within the allotted time. As a result more & more things get goofed up ( Fotr example AC series). Some of these stories are even medium of promotion of other shows ( for example AKAKR 6).
So it's better not to show parallel stories, Then our reactiion to the series will be even more intense which is something FW is actually aiming for.
i have no prblms with parallel tracks. but these tracks should not last more than 4 episodes.

it gets a bit irritating if a track continues for 7-8 episodes. e.g. AC or AKAKR.

parallel tracks are of course possible. an investigation team might have 2 cases in their hands. it of course happens.
       however in a series,  the parallel cases have to be good. also the distribution of focus should be kept well. if that would hv happened with AC, it would have been a huge success.

& as for beherupiya, as a 2hr spcl episode it was rocking( my all time favourite!! 👏👏👏👏) .

but it wuld not be bad if it were a series. say just for 3 or 4 episodes. rocky enters as abhijeet in the first one, then daya is suspecting him through the 2nd & 3rd episodes, & at the end of the 3rd rocky manages to convince everyone that daya is rocky. & then the 4th one completely focusing on it. also, there must be decent parallel cases. then it would hv been good as a series.😊
In the Abhijeet in Danger series,  we can see parallel khooni stories and Abhijeet and Daya carrying on investigation as if nothing has happened. Aditi was digging into this issue in the background. Don't you all think if the same series were shown now, we would be annoyed that it is going on for a month and a half? Wouldn't we be annoyed with the parallel tracks?
Hmm.. Thats a good question. The main difference between then and now is ( I suppose), we didnt have a promo showing just the last scene where Aditi points at Abhijeet before the episode. If it was so, I am sure people would have got annoyed seeing the whole episode and landing with only one impactful scene keeping in mind the promo of the day.
These days, we see a special promo made for the entire series(which is just to give a vivid idea about the series) and then the inidividual promos showing the only important and related scene of the episode. We wait for that one scene for 1 long hour..and find it only in the last 5 minutes of the episode. Isnt that annoying?
And moreover, in the rest of the khooni story, sometimes the team behaves as if nothing is actually going on in the background !! Af if they had a split personality sort of thing. One minute back they were crying for their mates, and next minute they are making fun of some khooni !! I wished, they could relate their own stories well !!

About Abhijeet-Shruti, we have made a short movie consisting of only the Shruti track and don't bother about the parallel tracks now. But back then were we not in suspense, watching the khooni mask and bad blood episodes just to see what's happening to Abhijeet?
Even today, we wait eagerly for fridays and saturdays(inspite of knowing that there will be worse khooni stories than KHOONI MASK and BAD BLOOD) in order to know whats exactly going to happen in the series. In the past, we surely felt annoyed to see the parallel tracks, but due to lack of platform we didnt open up. Otherwise, why would have someone made that special movie only having the Abhi-Shruti scenes?

From a  viewers point of view, I would say I sometimes like the background stories, considering the fact that they involve the personal lives of the characters. Such stories give the actors a lot of scope to show their talents and makes us know the characters well. But that doesnt mean that we should have them every month in a show like CID. we are here for crime investigation, not emotional drama all the time. On top of it, Abhi-Shruti was completely one officer centric, whereas AC and also AKAKR to a large extent involve the entire team. Officer centric episodes can be kept in the background as it involves just the personal life. But when the team gets involved, showing them in the background becomes slightly illogical.

Do you think that instead of embedding this main story into lacklustre khooni stories, they should make  2 hour special episodes once in a while on the lines of Behrupiya?
The best thing about CID is its one episode-one day format which attracts more and more viewers who cannot always watch series which require time and regularity. So, finishing off an episode in one day is always better. IMO, the 2 hour special episodes are interesting.They give a "movie" feeling at the end of the day. A complete exciting and interesting episode. In those  hours, we end up going through a lot of emotions and not left with confused minds at the end. The loose ends are also sorted out easily if its a single episode. Even from the writers point of view, it becomes clear !! Mistakes like AC-9 would not have occurred so easily if it was a single episode written by a single writer. So many writers trying to combine their efforts and working style lands up to a mess at times !!!!

But yes, from TRPS point of view, it doesnt solve the problem in the long term. So, we know why we have these background stories all the time, and why we have channel promoting them most often.

Would you have liked it if Behrupiya was split into parts and embedded within several khooni stories and stretched over 5-6 weeks?
NEVER !!! I already hate them for extending the last scene to the next week and giving us nightmares all throughout the week !! The entire episode continued for weeks would have been 🤢🤢🤢. I am so glad that FW didnt get this idea during those days or else i wouldnt have been alive till date !!

Overall, if you ask me, its obvious why FW and Sony goes for series. It helps them fetch TRPs for sometime. At least much more than the Khooni stories. I wont be surprised if we get more of such scary series even in the future !! Its after all all about "MONEY" !! If they could at least not promote the background story much, the effect on us would have been less. Promos create tension more than excitement for crazy fans like us !! And misleading promos add to the wounds and annoy us further !! but WHO cares?
Edited by Shagnika - 13 years ago
Originally posted by Shagnika

Hmm.. Thats a good question. The main difference between then and now is ( I suppose), we didnt have a promo showing just the last scene where Aditi points at Abhijeet before the episode. If it was so, I am sure people would have got annoyed seeing the whole episode and landing with only one impactful scene keeping in mind the promo of the day.
These days, we see a special promo made for the entire series(which is just to give a vivid idea about the series) and then the inidividual promos showing the only important and related scene of the episode. We wait for that one scene for 1 long hour..and find it only in the last 5 minutes of the episode. Isnt that annoying?
And moreover, in the rest of the khooni story, sometimes the team behaves as if nothing is actually going on in the background !! Af if they had a split personality sort of thing. One minute back they were crying for their mates, and next minute they are making fun of some khooni !! I wished, they could relate their own stories well !!

Even today, we wait eagerly for fridays and saturdays(inspite of knowing that there will be worse khooni stories than KHOONI MASK and BAD BLOOD) in order to know whats exactly going to happen in the series. In the past, we surely felt annoyed to see the parallel tracks, but due to lack of platform we didnt open up. Otherwise, why would have someone made that special movie only having the Abhi-Shruti scenes?

From a  viewers point of view, I would say I sometimes like the background stories, considering the fact that they involve the personal lives of the characters. Such stories give the actors a lot of scope to show their talents and makes us know the characters well. But that doesnt mean that we should have them every month in a show like CID. we are here for crime investigation, not emotional drama all the time. On top of it, Abhi-Shruti was completely one officer centric, whereas AC and also AKAKR to a large extent involve the entire team. Officer centric episodes can be kept in the background as it involves just the personal life. But when the team gets involved, showing them in the background becomes slightly illogical.

The best thing about CID is its one episode-one day format which attracts more and more viewers who cannot always watch series which require time and regularity. So, finishing off an episode in one day is always better. IMO, the 2 hour special episodes are interesting.They give a "movie" feeling at the end of the day. A complete exciting and interesting episode. In those  hours, we end up going through a lot of emotions and not left with confused minds at the end. The loose ends are also sorted out easily if its a single episode. Even from the writers point of view, it becomes clear !! Mistakes like AC-9 would not have occurred so easily if it was a single episode written by a single writer. So many writers trying to combine their efforts and working style lands up to a mess at times !!!!

But yes, from TRPS point of view, it doesnt solve the problem in the long term. So, we know why we have these background stories all the time, and why we have channel promoting them most often.

NEVER !!! I already hate them for extending the last scene to the next week and giving us nightmares all throughout the week !! The entire episode continued for weeks would have been 🤢🤢🤢. I am so glad that FW didnt get this idea during those days or else i wouldnt have been alive till date !!

Overall, if you ask me, its obvious why FW and Sony goes for series. It helps them fetch TRPs for sometime. At least much more than the Khooni stories. I wont be surprised if we get more of such scary series even in the future !! Its after all all about "MONEY" !! If they could at least not promote the background story much, the effect on us would have been less. Promos create tension more than excitement for crazy fans like us !! And misleading promos add to the wounds and annoy us further !! but WHO cares?

Hear. Hear. I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think I have much more to add based on your analysis. 👏

I just want to say one thing about the AC series though. I felt that all the episodes were really good. It showed that even though CID was under threat, they continued their normal day-to-day work. The only part that I didn't like was the last episode. They never showed how CID escaped from the building when they were strapped to the chairs with bombs. 👍🏼 😕
You know honestly I dont mind parallel tracks as long as they do justice to the main series by concentrating on for few minutes in each episode. As we all know, problem is not sudden, its a process. Therefore, I dont mind parellel tracks. Because we dont get to see the depth of each characters involved in main series whether the track is on Daya's shaadi or accusation on Abhijit. Life or work doesnt stop on one officer's problem.But I want FW to show everything as spontaneous and not preplanned( regarding main series).