Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is cancellation of IF ID good or bad? (Page 18)

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

Also yeah, you aren't going to see them in real life, not a likely event at all, so just be happy go lucky here.

You may not meet them on a regular basis but you might meet them sometime. I've met two members till now and the experience was very nice on both occassions.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfglace-bleue-Believe-

debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged

Also yeah, you aren't going to see them in real life, not a likely event at all, so just be happy go lucky here.
That's not true, I have met a member from IF in RL.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

glace-bleue

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by K.Resurrected.

Of course life moves on, it moves on even when people around us die. Of course, this is not the end of the world. Of course, things are ephemeral. But why stop there? Let's take the concept a little further. The earth won't stop spinning even if all life were to be erased off of its face, so much for the significance of life itself. The universe won't disappear if 5 billion years later earth is swallowed up by the Sun. But we can't latch onto these bigger truths per our convenience whenever and wherever to suit our purposes, just to wiggle out of a real debate. There is a time and place for bigger truths and IMO this topic is not it.

If I go short term, you can't start talking long term and invalidate my points. If I go objective, you can't go subjective and invalidate my points. You are not wrong if you do so. You are only pointing out the obvious, the abortive nature of all such debates that I already mentioned.

Going purely by the subject ('is cancellation of IF ID good or bad?"), keeping aside the variables and unknowns (whose cancellation? What is good? What is bad?  How good is good? How bad is bad? From whose perspective? Long term or short term? How long is long term and how short is short term?), going somewhat by the human web theory (six degrees of separation), I theorized that, if pivotal people leave, it will affect the connectedness of it all translating to lesser hits and thus, lesser interest in the forum itself. So yes, my answer is that it is bad. You are free to do a spectrum analysis, look closely at various shades, and understand the role the time component plays in such a scenario but, if you do that, you will never zero in on a satisfactory answer.

Okay, let's not talk about bigger truths, let's talk about smaller truths. I'm not exactly sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying that it is wrong and "phony" for members to move on after someone who appeared close to them on the forum leaves? If that is the case, what exactly do you suggest they do? And why exactly do you expect these emotions and these personal feelings to be displayed publicly on the forum?

@Bold Red-

Although it may feel that way from time to time, it is not true. All of us have left the forum or taken breaks from the forum at some point in time and the forum has continued on its regular business. Things don't stop for anyone here just like life doesn't stop for anyone in reality. Right now, yes you can name a few people and say call them the pillars of DM - the ones that bring the rest of us together, but that doesn't mean they're irreplaceable. People easily come and go on the forum. If one of us leaves today, perhaps there will be a few people who will be disappointed, upset, and they will limit their time and activity on the forum. But after that, new people will emerge, new members will call DM home, and regular activity will resume. The once disappointed members will return and they will make new friends and a new group of people will take their place as the pillars of the section. DM activity is a sinusoidal curve as well - you can only go down so much, after which, you eventually have to make your way back up (with or without the same people).

To give an example - I joined DM when there were a completely different group of people who stood as pillars of this section. Active and entertaining members who held together the rest and it did feel like this was it. But most of those members aren't around anymore - and there is a completely new set of people here that call DM home today. Older members may still reminisce about those days, but there's really nothing you can do accept perhaps stop visiting. Either way, DM will continue running the same way. 

I second that. When I first came across DM I was a silent member for a long time but the entire dev team was different and there were a lot more active members. One by one people started leaving. People had a family to look after, others had issues with the DT, DT members resigned from their post, some got banned, others banned themselves and a lot more stuff went on. I'd say 90% of the people or may be more that used to be active members on this forum are no longer active but people move on. People always walk in and out of our lives-both virtual and real and it's just something we have to deal with but now it is a lot easier for me to deal with people leaving on IF or any online forum in comparison to real life friends and family leaving.
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged
@ deb and souro:

I said it's not likely, not impossible!
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged

@ deb and souro:

I wouldn't have written what I wrote if you hadn't written 'at all'.

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

@ deb and souro:

I wouldn't have written what I wrote if you hadn't written 'at all'.

LOL okay, but I used the word likely, so even using the word at all isn't going to change the fact that likely is a word relating to probability than occurence...
K.Consciousness Senior Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

glace-bleue

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged
Mr K I believe the mantra "This too shall pass" was given by Lord Krishna to Yudhisthira during the exile.
He also said Happiness n Distress appear through sense perception like the seasons and we should tolerate them without being disturbed.
So too I guess people come n go in the forums but the more the merrier.

Go to top