Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: Summer3

Vinu Bhai I notice that you accomodate all. Is it because of your work in the middle east ?😆-- If you work anywhere, these kind of things depend upon each persons thoughts/mentality....and I know difference between RL n VL.😃

blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

I don't think people on a virtual forum need charity - instead, I think charitable donations should be geared towards people in RL. I was just pointing out the fact that mods on this forum do not get paid for the work that they do. It is enough that they moderate the forum as volunteers, and it is not necessary for people to always point fingers at them and accuse them of being biased and not doing their jobs properly - at least not when they aren't doing anything wrong.

You're quite lucky if you've had a moderator go to such great lengths for you, I am sure it was because of friendship and the fact that he/she cared about you at a personal level. Because otherwise, I do not think that running after members to figure out why they've left or what problems they have faced is part of their job description. You may argue that they should care and that it should matter, but that doesn't mean that they do or that they will professionally. Personal matters are an altogether different equation.

Edit- I also wanted to add that you are mixing two different things here. Explaining why he or she is banning you or taking any action against you is, I agree, a moderator's responsibility. However, what we were discussing here previously were self-bans. If you request to deactivate your account or to be banned, why should the mod care? Why should he or she take his/her personal time out to ask you why you are making this decision? It seems rather foolish to me to have such high expectations on a public forum.

First of all...I don't know any of the mods personally.....I wouldn't have given my example had it been due to a personal relationship....i can differentiate between personal and professional acts...
As far as this being a public forum.......it doesn't matter what kind of set up this is.....what matters is that if there is a certain pattern.....even if it is self-bans.....it deserves the attention of the management.......whether they do it or not ...is their choice....this topic was opened by summerji..hence this discussion....
Regarding the use of the word charity......I used it because u mentioned that the mods are doing some kind of charity.....of course we don't need charity....
Roadrunnerz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Members who cancel their IDs on the forum could be doing it for purely personal reasons like wanting to take a break due to some pressing demands in RL. Some may have got over their obsession with the forum and wish to drift away. It may have nothing to do with the forum, the Mod or any member on the forum. But if the reason for wanting to leave has something to do with any of these ,the member could take it up with the Mod or the Devp team. Ideally the PM service is used but this being a debate section I suppose one could post the grievances here to be discussed. I believe there is a section in IF to take up such matters, but I'm not very sure of that.

0ne of friends who had recently self banned temporarily had  informed me about that decision. It had been for personal reasons. There was another who wanted to move on but wished to continue being in touch with some of his IF friends and so provided his contacts. I missed the discussions I used to have with them on IF but I couldnt stop them. It was their wish. Hopefully they will turn up again. When they do I'm sure they will let me know. Till then I am in touch so its not that bad. I too have been taking breaks every now and then . 
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Ah Sunny Bhai we should keep in touch with all persons close to us in real life.
Sadly my dearest IF pal was called back by the MOD upstairs so he left suddenly. Life is unpredictable.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
*edited to keep OBJ awake*
Edited by return_to_hades - 13 years ago
Last i checked, this is the INTERNET. An Online forum. People should leave and go as per their disposition, and i dont see any point to this Debate. The only difference that IF has with its over-a-bilion counterparts, is that here the tasks of rational debating go side-along with sharing of personal(in the virtual sense) space and making up of interpeople connections, that sometimes grow to be overly strong and , sometimes, rigid. This is, in my opinion, a characteristic that very few other Discussion sites could boast of. But that does not mean it is anything other than an Internet Discussion portal
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Sayali ji kya khabar hain ?
Kiska chakar mein phas gaye ?😆
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: sayali_babes

Last i checked, this is the INTERNET. An Online forum. People should leave and go as per their disposition, and i dont see any point to this Debate. The only difference that IF has with its over-a-bilion counterparts, is that here the tasks of rational debating go side-along with sharing of personal(in the virtual sense) space and making up of interpeople connections, that sometimes grow to be overly strong and , sometimes, rigid. This is, in my opinion, a characteristic that very few other Discussion sites could boast of. But that does not mean it is anything other than an Internet Discussion portal

In a way, you're right, the members are individuals and it's upto them whether they want to stay here or want to leave. No one should force them to do either (except for banning in case of violation of IF CC).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Discussion so far:
Some people wanted the Mods to conduct something akin to an exit interview. Question is, 'And then what? What would they do with the data?'
The only question that is pertinent is 'Are you leaving because of any forum related issues? If yes, then what issue?' And if it is some forum related issue and if the member's concern is genuine, sure efforts should be made to remedy it.
However, I think Mods already ask this question to those who ask for their profile to be deactivated.

But beyond this, if the reason is personal, what is the use of delving further? If the member has got married and wants to dedicate more time to his/ her new life, what can the Mod do about it? They can't change anything in such a situation, so it's better to just let go. Even the friends of that member can't do anything about it and can at best make sure that they stay in touch through some other medium.

People were also suggesting that, Mods should try to understand why members are leaving the forum. I think, they need a reality check. To understand why members are leaving the forum or a certain section, the Mods will have to actually conduct a study and I think the people who suggested that the Mod do it have no idea how much time and effort and money it can take to conduct such a study. Let me give an idea about what it costs
. Companies spend anywhere around 5% to 10% of their annual marketing budget to find information on what people like about that company and what all the company needs to do to make themselves more attractive, etc. etc. So, big companies actually spend crores of rupees (i.e. millions of dollars) for the information that people over here are suggesting that Mods try and find out for free.

The job of the Mod is to keep the place clean and appropriate. If the interest in the place is sagging then try to revive the place by opening some interesting topics. And that's about it. You can complain if they fail to do that job but expecting them to do some member satisfaction study and finding detailed reasons for churn is unrealistic. That's the job of the salary drawing IF marketing team. Afterall, it's the financial condition of the website that is at stake; so, if anyone, it should be the owner of the website who should pay real money to find out what all are good over here and what all needs to be improved.
Edited by souro - 13 years ago
W*F? Did they deactivate the "Un-like" capacity again?
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I don't think IF ever had an unlike button like FB.
I guess only in DM people actually put a thought behind which post they are liking and whether it is actually brilliant. Most other sections people just randomly go on liking posts.