Dibakar Banerjee signs Emraan Hashmi & Abhay Deol - Page 5

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago
I dont want a new girl! Although not a lot, we do have current actresses who can decently act, why not take them? Gosh! I would for once like to see Emraan with at least one of the popular actresses.
Nuktaacheen thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
in the first article, it says the budget is 30 crores, but in dibakar's interview with faridoon, he said the budget was under 15... i hope they keep it on the low side... the movie does look interesting....!
Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Lucky to be in Shanghai
January 15, 2011   2:37:48 AM

Abhay Deol will be seen in a negative role for the first time in Dibakar Banerjee's upcoming release. The actor talks to Nanda Das on why he loves experimenting with his characters, marriage plans and equation with bros, Sunny and Bobby

It is never too easy to create a place for yourself when not one or two but three members of your family have made it big in the field you aim to be in. But Abhay Deol has managed doing it with immense ease and comfort. One of the major reasons behind the success of the 34-year-old has been picking up roles that have shades of his real life and not seeking any help from his uncle, Dharmendra and two brothers, Sunny and Bobby. In fact, the youngest Deol had once said in an interview that he entered the field of acting not because of his family background but due to the fact he had been involved in theatre since his schooldays.

So the career that took off with an average box office grosser Socha Na Tha opposite Ayesha Takia five years ago in which he was nominated for the Filmfare Best Male Debut Award to his latest release, Aisha, with Sonam Kapoor, Abhay has been always applauded for his acting skills. Not to forget some outstanding and unconventional movies like Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd, Dev D, Ek Chaalis Ki Last Local, Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! and Manorama Six Feet Under he chose to do during this period. Now he is ready to shoot for Dibakar Banerjee's upcoming movie titled Shanghai. "Dibakar is one of the finest directors I have had an opportunity to work with in Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! I consider myself lucky that he thought about me for his next project. He has a brilliant way of story-telling and I love the way he creates his own world through his scripts. As Dibakar has completed around 85 per cent script for Shanghai, I'm looking forward as to how the characters are shaping up," says Abhay.

The actor informs that the movie is a political thriller and an Indian adaptation of Greek writer Vassilis Vasilikos' novel Z which delves into the real-life assassination of a dynamic politician. "It will be for the first time that I'll be seen in a negative character," he adds. On how challenging does he feel the role to be, Abhay says, "I find each one of them equally demanding. As I've read a part of the script, I found my character looking at you through glasses, wearing a stiff shirt and you keep wondering as to what's on his mind. The next moment you could be behind bars without even realising that he was the man behind it. As for the preparations at my end, I've spoken to a few friends who resemble my characters in the movie," shares Abhay, adding that he feels his character of Satyaveer in Manorama Six Feet Under was the closest to his heart.

Will he ever like to share screen space with the Deols and he promptly replies, "I would love to but then I feel a bit shy to work with tauji and Sunny bhaiya as I'm a rank junior in front of them. However, I will be interested in doing a movie with Bobby as we share good chemistry," he says.

And what about marriage plans as he has been in a relationship with model Preeti Desai for a long time? "Not in the near future. I think marriages are a cultural phenomenon and till the time I'm a natural, I don't want to get married," he says.

Originally posted by: eraser

I dont want a new girl! Although not a lot, we do have current actresses who can decently act, why not take them? Gosh! I would for once like to see Emraan with at least one of the popular actresses.

So true! I think it would do wonders for his career too if he finally was paired up with at least popular actress since the actresses all want to work with big names
Zareena thumbnail
i don't think it will be a new girl. Dibakar did said he's still searching for a girl, didn't heard him saying new girl. I am sick of new girls now..enough is enough๐Ÿ˜†
ladygaga thumbnail
This is sounding great!! I am a bigger fan of Hashmi.. and the last time i liked abhay was in OLLO.. but its a great combo.. i find emraan to be more hot and attractive though.. lol Edited by ladygaga - 13 years ago
Abhay and Emraan in the same film...interesting. Both men are not your typical Bollywood heroes...which is what I like.
Edited by Adhuri-Daastan - 13 years ago
Zareena thumbnail

Dark humour, thrillers on Abhay Deol''s mind

Mumbai, Jan 16 (IANS) He loves 'dark humour' and likes to keep people guessing what his next film will be. Maverick actor Abhay Deol has now signed on for political thriller 'Shanghai' and he says he plays 'not a very nice man'.

'I look for stuff that perhaps is not seen before in our industry, (if) there is some form of reality in it... I love dark humour; so it'll be nice if there is some form of undercurrent humour. Also I like variety to be thrown in so that people keep guessing what my next one will be like. I try to do that,' Abhay told IANS in an interview.

But the main reason he's doing 'Shanghai' is director Dibakar Banerjee, with whom Abhay has worked earlier in critically and commercially acclaimed 'Oye Luck! Luck Oye'.

'I've worked with Dibakar before and we have always discussed working together again. He had kind of mentioned this film long ago and the case was that whenever he is ready he should tell me so that I can see my dates and everything. I didn't even read the script to say yes,' Abhay said candidly.

And the actor, who is yesteryears hero Dharmendra's nephew, can't stop praising the filmmaker.

'I love the kind of work that Dibakar does. He is a genius and a smart guy. In his films, he defines the culture for its finer aspects as opposed to whatever is obvious. He has his own way and that's what I like,' Abhay said.

'Shanghai' is an official Hindi adaptation of political thriller 'Z' written by Greek novelist Vassilis Vassilikos on the assassination of a politician. It has been adapted by Banerjee, who has made it relevant for Indian audiences.

The film will also star Emraan Hashmi and goes on the floor in April.

Talking about his role, Abhay said: 'I don't know much about my role. I know that he is not a very nice man and this character gives Emraan's character a tough time.'

'It's a political thriller essentially. I have an idea of what I'm going to do with the character, but it's not something that I have defined yet because we will start shooting in April.

'In the next few months I'm going to get a better definition of this character and Dibakar will also have a say in how he wants me to play this character,' the 34-year-old added.

So will he be reading the book on which the film is based?

'I don't think it's important to read the book because I have read the script. The book was written in the 1950s and Dibakar has taken the politics of the day and made it relevant to our country.

'What's more important is to know what is happening in our country today and how businesses are being set up... How economies are being used or abused. With that understanding I'll be able to play my character better,' Abhay said.

The female lead of the film hasn't been decided yet and the film is being made on a budget of approximately Rs.30 crore (Rs. 300 million).

Abhay, who entered Bollywood with the low-key 'Socha Na Tha' in 2005, has endeared himself to audiences with offbeat films like 'Dev D', 'Manorama Six Feet Under', 'Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd', and 'Aisha'.

zoyah thumbnail
wow both actors are veryyy goood 

Originally posted by: ruky786

Am I the only one that doesn't really like Prachi because I kinda think she is overrated sometimes as an actress....she was good in Rock On and OUATIM but it made me seem as if she was a bit like Bani in her films ๐Ÿค”

๐Ÿ˜† Seriously - a female BW actress who's SOMETIMES overrated = Prachi? Are you kidding lol? ๐Ÿ˜†
Yes she was good in Rock on & OUATIM...she had very good performances unlike other people's debut in BW...does that make her overrated or appreciated for her talent? ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›
๐Ÿฅฑ๐Ÿฅฑ๐ŸฅฑDiff pov I guess.