Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Kiran and Aamir's interesting interview

Posted: 13 years ago

The craft of making it big

http://mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2011011220110112020910818b05a2c99/The-craft-of-making-it-big.html

Kiran and Aamir talk about intellectual snobbery, and how he made his way into his wife's film despite her misgivings

Namrata Bhawnani

Posted On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 02:09:10 AM

Through the interview, Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao share much playful eye contact. It's almost like he's seeking a mental pat on the back when he says something funny or clever, and she's a sounding board for his constantly ticking mind.

They complete each other's sentences and as he teases her for her intellectual leanings, she shrugs off the jokes good-humouredly. Excerpts from an interview:

Why cast Aamir as Arun when your vision was to make a small, indie film with Dhobi Ghat?

Aamir: Actually, she didn't even want me in the film. I was very crafty about it, though…

Kiran: Yeah, I didn't want him. I didn't want a known actor with baggage. I was testing theatre people and non-actors. Arun's character is attractive, complex and restrained. He spends a lot of time alone, watching video tapes. It's all in the reaction. Aamir said, 'Why don't I audition and show you how I can play it?' And he did.

Of course, the economical dynamics of the film change when you cast Aamir…

Kiran: It added pressure, as it's a small film. There is no way this film will be a blockbuster. People have certain expectations from Aamir. But we became a little more relaxed about the budget, it was Rs 2 crore and went up to Rs 5 crore.

Aamir: And you would've never got (Spanish guitarist) Gustavo Santaolalla…

Would a film like yours see the light of the day if it didn't have the backing of a big star?

Kiran: I didn't expect Aamir to be in the film. I can't bully him into wearing the shirt I want him to wear, let alone invest his money and time in a film. I didn't see any other producer taking a chance on it. I would've taken a loan and shot it on video with non-actors.

Aamir: When I select a film, I only think about how I react to it. Then I think about the practical side. My attempt is that the film should be economically viable, no one should lose money on it. I will make the film I love, but it will be within a budget that can be recovered. I don't want to make a film based on my whims and fancies, which will make somebody lose Rs 50 crores.

Like?

(Aamir and Kiran exchange a look and laugh) Aamir: Well, it's not nice to take names. I'd like to see the key talent in our industry take responsibility, economically.

Your film is shot guerrilla style, which can't have been easy with Aamir in the cast…

Kiran: I could've been truer to the format without him. But he was very good at planning. He'd reach at 3 am. He holed himself up for three weeks in the Mohammad Ali road house (where Arun stays in the film).

Aamir: I was very happy there. I was surrounded by books and had all my meetings there.

Your tastes in films differ widely…

Aamir(laughing): I once told her, Show me one of your favourite director's films. She showed me Ozu's Tokyo Story…

Kiran (rolling up her eyes):  Within 15 minutes, he was nodding off.

Aamir: And 20 minutes later, you asked if we should go to sleep.

Kiran: Yes, but I've seen the film ten times already, Chotte…

Aamir: I know it's probably blasphemy, but if I don't connect with a film, what can I do? As a viewer I can't watch ten minutes dedicated to a man walking across the room!

And music? Gustavo seems a reflection of Kiran's personal taste...

Kiran: It is. I listen to '60s rock, '70s and '80s pop, classical and Carnatic. I've learnt classical piano. I've been into electronica, but now I'm ready for a new frontier.

Rana Chakraborty

Aamir: I love old Hindi film songs from the '50s. But I also like classical and jazz. I'm not so much into popular music. I don't like noise…

Kiran (sighs): What to do with the ignoramous?

Aamir: Once, we were travelling to Panchgani and decided that for half an hour, we can each play music of our choice. I played my stuff…

Kiran: Boring stuff. He played like ghazals or something. I hate ghazals…

Aamir: I'd just got a new car. I thought the car was making rattling noises. Then I thought maybe it's the truck behind me. So I sped away and I could still hear it. Kiran says, 'It's the music, Aamir'. If I want to listen to noise, I'll listen to my washing machine!

As a woman filmmaker, do you think women deserve more in cinema?

Kiran: I don't like the way women are portrayed in mainstream cinema. In Canada, a journalist told me that I've inverted the male gaze by giving cameras to the two of the women characters in Dhobi Ghat.

Was it easy to capture the ethos of Mumbai?

Kiran: I come from a middle class background and I still think like that. Though I never have to really work for money, I was never going to be a lady of leisure. It's easy for me to connect with people.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mistyy thumbnail
Aamir: When I select a film, I only think about how I react to it. Then I think about the practical side. My attempt is that the film should be economically viable, no one should lose money on it. I will make the film I love, but it will be within a budget that can be recovered. I don't want to make a film based on my whims and fancies, which will make somebody lose Rs 50 crores.

Like?

(Aamir and Kiran exchange a look and laugh) Aamir: Well, it's not nice to take names. I'd like to see the key talent in our industry take responsibility, economically.

i think they mean SLB, and he is right about it!!
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
The first pic of them is really cute.
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks... Pragya...

Loved the interview..... What an eclectic taste she has... a very intellectual woman.....

What a welcome change in the middle of the birkin holding... party hopping.....dolled up ... plasticy and botoxed star wives.... 
jaky thumbnail
I really couldn't understand why these two trying to fool us
aamir you have to be in this movie because your name who'll make it a hit ...... come on she's your wife
ahh good he takes off earrings ..... his look was awful
I love the first picture too.

She seems to be an intelligent woman, who stands by her choices and beliefs. I have met Kiran once, and Ill tell you what she was a very beautiful woman. I dont mean in the conventional way. She had an aura and her confidence and self belief radiated through her face.

I hope the movie is as good as the reviews say it is. I dont expect to be a hit; the very fact that Aamir is hardly seen promoting the movie says something. However I hope people who see it like it (if it is good) and perhaps there could be more such niche movies in the future.

Edited by pragya0 - 13 years ago
desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I like this interview.. I bet he irks people the wrong way but he's right.  There has to be a practicality point to any film and no use of wasting 50cr on one film, if the story is good, it can entertain on the smallest of budgets
jaky thumbnail
But i must say admire how he promotes his films in a new ways
He's a creative person
She's very different from the BW snobbery, it's very refreshing to hear.

It's lovely that they have so different tastes and yet are really compatible with each other
I really like her and Farhan Akhtar's wife.  Both come across as very refreshing among all the snobby dolled up overly tanned and botoxed star wives.

Nice interview, thanks for posting. These two sound like your everyday couple. Good to know.