Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Tiger Woods - Can he rise again ? (Page 4)

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 28 January 2011 at 1:06am | IP Logged
Day one and Tiger does fairly okay.
But this is not good enough yet.

Woods starts year with 69 and trails by five strokes

By DOUG FERGUSON
Associated Press
Posted: January 27, 2011

Farmers Insurance OpenSAN DIEGO – Tiger Woods began his new season with no bogeys, no birdies on the par 5s and no drama.

Looking for a new start after a disastrous year on and off the golf course, Woods felt little stress Thursday in the Farmers Insurance Open with a 3-under 69 on the North Course that left him five shots behind South Korean rookie Sunghoon Kang.

If the setting was familiar for Woods, so was his middle-of-the-pack position. In four of his six wins at this tournaments, he has been at least five shots behind after the opening round.

"I'm happy with the way I played, absolutely," Woods said. "I could have been a lot better if I took care of the par 5s a little bit more, but obviously, I didn't do that."

Kang, a 24-year-old rookie, finished with back-to-back birdies on the North Course for an 8-under 64, giving him a one-shot lead over fellow rookie Chris Kirk, Alex Prugh and Rickie Fowler.

Phil Mickelson shot 32 on the back nine for a 5-under 67 to match the best score on the tougher South Course, which hosted the 2008 U.S. Open that Woods won in a playoff. Also at 67 on the South was John Daly, whose last win came in 2004 at this tournament. He is the last player to win at Torrey Pines when Woods was in the field.

"This place means a lot to me," Daly said. "The top golfers play here every year. That says something."

Woods no longer is No. 1 – he has slipped to No. 3 in the world ranking and can't improve on that this week – but he has not played the public course he has practically owned since that U.S. Open in 2008. He missed the next year because of knee surgery, and last year while in a Mississippi addiction clinic after being caught in extramarital affairs.

"Welcome back to Torrey," was a popular phrase from the gallery throughout his round, in which Woods played solidly except on the greens. He made only two putts longer than 3 feet – a 10-foot par save on No. 8, and a 25-foot birdie putt on the par-3 sixth that bounced along until catching the right corner of the cup.

"I didn't leave myself any putts," Woods said. "I kept leaving myself above the hole. And I didn't take advantage of the par 5s."

The North Course is not the pushover it has been in past years because of some new length, and not just in distance. Along with being some 90 yards longer, the rough was allowed to grow and is thicker than the grass found on the South Course.

"I didn't know the North was as long as the South," Ben Curtis said after a 70. He knows better, but it felt that way if tee shots did not stay in the narrow, canted fairways.

Woods was in shorter grass on half of his 14 tee shots, although four of those misses came on the par 5s. He couldn't get to the green in two, and didn't make the birdie putts.

Even so, he looked more like the Woods who ended last year with a playoff loss at the Chevron World Challenge, not the guy who played so poorly for so much of the year that he didn't win on the PGA Tour for the first time in his career.

It felt like a typical season-opener for Woods, including his position on the leaderboard. In his last four trips to this PGA Tour event, he has trailed by seven, six, five and two shots after the opening round and went on to win them all.

Even so, scoring on the North was lower, and Woods will need to pick up the pace on the South Course. He is playing the first two days with Anthony Kim and Rocco Mediate, whom Woods defeated in that epic U.S. Open playoff at Torrey Pines.

Mediate was chattering away, as usual, but there wasn't much conversation about that 19-hole playoff from 2008.

"We didn't play that golf course," Woods said.

Kim was among those at 68, a tribute to his great scrambling. He chipped in from 40 feet for par, holed a 30-foot par putt from the fringe and made two other par saves outside 10 feet.

The top of the leaderboard was filled with youth, starting with Kang, who earned his card through Q-School. Fowler was voted the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year in 2010 on a ballot that included Prugh. Kirk finished second on the Nationwide Tour last year, when he hurt his wrist and couldn't play the last two events.

On the South Course, rookies Fabian Gomez of Argentina and Keegan Bradley were among those at 67

Kang had the recipe on the North Course that Woods couldn't find.

"This course, all the par 5s are reachable, so I really tried to keep to the fairways and it worked really well," Kang said. "And I really had a good chance on the par 5s. That's why I played very well today."

He played them in 4 under, including an eagle on No. 14 when he chipped in from 25 feet.

Daly has special memories of Torrey from his playoff win in 2004, but he wasn't in such a great mood a year ago. He missed the cut after rounds of 79-71, and told a Golf Channel television crew that was taping a documentary that he was done. Some media outlets construed that to mean he was retiring, although Daly had made similar comments right after a bad performance.

"You get frustrated," Daly said.

That wasn't the case Thursday, a spectacular day of sunshine along the Pacific coast

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged
What a horrible finsih Mr. Woods ?
Now u have a Dubai game coming up. Hope u can do better.

Woods off to a rough start to the 2011 season

By DOUG FERGUSON
Associated Press
Posted: January 30, 2011
Farmers Insurance OpenSAN DIEGO – Tiger Woods began a new year with his worst season debut.

Woods failed to birdie a par 5 for the second time this week and closed with a 3-over 75 on Sunday in the Farmers Insurance Open, ending his five-tournament winning streak at Torrey Pines with a middle-of-the-pack finish.

"I have some work to do," Woods said. "There's no doubt about that."

The biggest surprise of his 74-75 on the South Course is that Woods had won seven times on this public course, including the 2008 U.S. Open. He had never finished out of the top 10 in the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines.

This week, he looked liked anyone else.

Woods was out of the top 40 when he completed his final round, with the leaders just making the turn. He had never finished out of the top 10 in stroke play to start a season, and his worst result for a debut was two years ago in the Match Play Championship, where he lost in the second round and tied for 17th.

That was his first event after missing eight months following reconstructive knee surgery.

Woods opened Sunday with two short irons inside 10 feet, missing both birdie putts. On the par-4 fourth, he nearly holed a long birdie attempt, then missed the 3 1/2 -foot par putt.

"I hit it as pure as I could possibly hit it starting out, and got nothing out of it," Woods said. "As the round went on, I progressively got worse with my golf swing. And ironically enough, felt better and better with the putter. So it's one of those things."

But these things never seem to happen at Torrey Pines.

Woods won the Buick Invitational four straight times starting in 2005. He had never finished more than four shots out of the lead, but he was 13 out when he finished, the kind of deficit he experienced so much of last year.

Much more was expected considering how Woods finished last year, putting together three of his best rounds at the Chevron World Challenge until blowing a four-shot lead on the final day and losing to U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell in a playoff.

Woods was five shots behind going into the weekend at Torrey Pines and never got any closer.

For the fourth time in as many rounds, he failed to post the low round in his group. Anthony Kim was better the first two rounds, Jhonattan Vegas and Kevin Sutherland had better scores on Saturday, and PGA Tour rookie Brendan Steele shot a bogey-free 70 on Sunday.

How close is Woods to getting his form back?

"It's progressing," he said. "It's one of those things where I don't know where the end is. You never know where the end is until you're done with your playing career."

He now returns home to the practice range for a week before playing in the Dubai Desert Classic, where he has won twice and has never finished out of the top 5.

P1nk IF-Dazzler
P1nk
P1nk

Posted: 31 January 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged
He shouldn'y be paid trillions for sticking a ball in it''s right hole, rather surgeons and docs should get paid as much because they save lives.

Edited by P1nk - 31 January 2011 at 4:14pm
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 31 January 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by P1nk

He shouldn'y be paid trillions for sticking a ball in it''s right hole, rather surgeons and docs should get paid as much because they save lives.
Yes that is true. But I guess it is also a case of demand and supply.
There are many rich doctors and consultants who charge an arm and a leg too.
Some are still struggling to make the world a better place.

Sports people command high numbers
Torres transfer at 50 million pounds !

Page last updated at 23:29 GMT, Monday, 31 January 2011

Torres makes record move from Liverpool to Chelsea

Fernando Torres hits brace against Chelsea

Torres hits brace against Chelsea (UK users only)

Chelsea have broken the British transfer record by paying a reported 50m to seal the capture of striker Fernando Torres from Liverpool.

The 26-year-old Spain international forward signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with the Blues.

"This is the target for every footballer - to try to play for one of the top clubs in the world," he said.

"They [Chelsea] are one of the biggest teams in Europe and are always fighting for everything."

The signing was pushed through shortly before the transfer deadline and came on a dramatic day, with Chelsea and Liverpool involved in the four biggest transfers of the day.

The Anfield club looked to plug the gap left by Torres leaving by signing two strikers - Uruguayan Luis Suarez from Ajax for 22.7m and Andy Carroll from Newcastle for 35m.

chal_phek_mat Senior Member
chal_phek_mat
chal_phek_mat

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged
I have never fgured out what makes Torres is touted so high, he plays on the Spanish national team, with Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, all you need to beat the offside trap.

when at Liverpool he flopped, he will have another miserable year at Chelsea, where there are too many stikers and not as many midfielders
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 6:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

I have never fgured out what makes Torres is touted so high, he plays on the Spanish national team, with Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, all you need to beat the offside trap.

when atLiverpool he flopped, he will have another miserable year at Chelsea, where there are too many stikers and not as many midfielders

Yes I get fed up with Clubs throwing money.
Lot of over hype.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 07 February 2011 at 8:21pm | IP Logged

Watch out for Tiger again this week in the Dubai Classic

02/07/2011

Woods heads to Middle East for Dubai Desert Classic

Two-time winner of event to play pro-am with U.S. lieutenant colonel By Mark Soltau / TigerWoods.com

Tiger Woods hunts for his first victory of the year this week in the Omega Dubai Desert Classic at the Emirates Golf Club. A two-time winner of the Dubai, United Arab Emirates, event, he has never finished outside of the top five. Woods' previous triumphs came in 2006 and 2008. Woods -- who tied for 44th in his 2011 debut two weeks ago at the Farmers Insurance Open in San Diego -- will have a special pro-am partner this week. He will play with Lieutenant Colonel Michael Rowells, who was selected from 16,000 amateur golfers around the world who registered online. Rowells was picked by Mohammad Yahya, a longtime sponsor of the tournament. "Miracles do happen, and I am overwhelmed with the prospect of playing not only with Tiger, but also the Majlis course as well," said Rowells, an Army officer currently deployed to Afghanistan with the 401st Army Field Support Brigade. "Truly a dream come true." Lt. Col. Rowells, a 9-handicapper, will join Woods and two other amateurs in the pro-am. Coincidentally, Woods' late father, Earl, was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army. Woods said his game is steadily improving under the guidance of new swing coach Sean Foley. That said, he must be patient about the changes and execute under pressure.

"It's progressing," Woods said. "It's one of those things where I don't know where the end is."

ANIROCKS Groupbie
ANIROCKS
ANIROCKS

Posted: 08 February 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged
I dunno thnk he w'll ever rise again!

Go to top