Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee
Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Northern Indian Hindu Weddings

yam29 Senior Member
yam29
yam29

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged
Hello, everyone.

I am totally happy with Maan n Geet's wedding rituals going on now. I'm sure everyone is  happy & excited as well. Hopefully, everything will be fine...

So, anyways, I'm a South Indian and I don't know much the proper rituals and ceremonies of the Northern Indian style matrimony.

I've heard of Saigai (Engagement), Mehendi, Suhaag Raat, and Rokha but I don't really know the real meaning of them. I also heard about Sangeet. Can some one explain the ceremonies in shaadi in a orderly manner, pls????

Thanks alot...

jyoti01 Senior Member
jyoti01
jyoti01

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged
Sangeet - Is just a function which has dance and singing ......more of a lively moment before the actual ceremonies start

Mehndi - When Henna ( a paste made of  henna leaves and gives a red colour on the hands) is applied on the hands of the bride and the groom - which is considered auspicious

Rokha is similar to engagement.  Sometimes u do not have a official exchanging of rings.  Elders of the familily give some some jewellary etc as a ROKHA ceremony which means committed

Suhaag Raat - Is the first night the couple spend together as husband and wife.  Raat means night

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kumari3

sheenu32 Goldie
sheenu32
sheenu32

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:20pm | IP Logged
i m punjabi i'll try to tell u the meanings and m 90 % sure of them...not fulllyy.

first they mostly do the roka..which basically means that no one can bring proposals for the respective future bride and groom since their rishta have been fixed and they do little exchange of gifts and money there.. but nothing major and in geet's case they didn't need to do it... since her family members are out of the question 

then shagan .. which is like only girl's family coming to guy's family and there is a function in the gurdwara sahib and they do the money exchange and give the groom shagan .. which includes money and gold and anything the bride's family wishes to give .. and here as well in geet's case their is no family for geet .. so this was skipped as well but mostly in serials and movies this ritual is missed

then night following shagan or same night.. they hold the sangeet and vatna.. differently at bride and groom's place.. vatna is applying the vesan (donno wats it called in english) on both the bride and groom and i think its applied to purify the skin before the wedding night and it is a natural cleanser for skin.. and the ladies sing the traditional songs first.. and then the dhammaal happens ... where they dance and perform .. everyone from the family participates almost.. some families choose to combine the lady sangeet and do it together in a banquet hall but mostly its done indivudually... and this happened in geet where they danced on mahi ve 

and mehndi happens and girl's side only .. where they apply the henna paste on the girl's hands and almost all the females in the family
Bachelor party is totally individual LOL and i've been to one.. they are totally shocking LOLL.. (it was a secret entry)

and then the wedding.. for punjabi weddings.. they do the baraat (coming all together) .. the guy's side reach the venue and mostly the girls from the bride's side .. hold them outside the venue and do a ribbon cutting which is basically that until the ribbon is cut.. the groom side is not permitted inside.. and girls demand huge AMOUNT of money.. 
and then they are allowed to go in.. and then the traditions follow.. the bride and groom basically take 4 pheres around guru granth sahib and the wedding is done :)

and then mostly the weddings that i've seen is that the doli is taken from gurdwara sahib but some families extend it.. as to taking the couple to gurl's house and do some more shagan and then the girl officially leaves the house buy throwing the rice over her head.. and then she is recieved at her new house with many rasams.. some people do them but mostly they do the the paani waar.. which is what the mother of the guy does .. she puts water in like lota and moves it around the couples head and drinks it.. which represents that while in the travelling any bad nazar that they might've caught... is removed and she drinks that water.. 

and in geet's case i am sure this wont happen because i think it is not allowed to show anyone faking 4 pheres onscreen.. thats why no punjabi wedding has ever been shown onscreen.. they will show the 7 pheres..

this leads to the wedding night.. no explanation needed.. 

and next day or same day reception occurs which is just more dancing..

Hope I helped

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

cheema_rteri_susangurpreet28mausam19euphoric

teri_susan Goldie
teri_susan
teri_susan

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sheenu32

i m punjabi i'll try to tell u the meanings and m 90 % sure of them...not fulllyy.

first they mostly do the roka..which basically means that no one can bring proposals for the respective future bride and groom since their rishta have been fixed and they do little exchange of gifts and money there.. but nothing major and in geet's case they didn't need to do it... since her family members are out of the question 

then shagan .. which is like only girl's family coming to guy's family and there is a function in the gurdwara sahib and they do the money exchange and give the groom shagan .. which includes money and gold and anything the bride's family wishes to give .. and here as well in geet's case their is no family for geet .. so this was skipped as well but mostly in serials and movies this ritual is missed

then night following shagan or same night.. they hold the sangeet and vatna.. differently at bride and groom's place.. vatna is applying the vesan (donno wats it called in english) on both the bride and groom and i think its applied to purify the skin before the wedding night and it is a natural cleanser for skin.. and the ladies sing the traditional songs first.. and then the dhammaal happens ... where they dance and perform .. everyone from the family participates almost.. some families choose to combine the lady sangeet and do it together in a banquet hall but mostly its done indivudually... and this happened in geet where they danced on mahi ve 

and mehndi happens and girl's side only .. where they apply the henna paste on the girl's hands and almost all the females in the family
Bachelor party is totally individual LOL and i've been to one.. they are totally shocking LOLL.. (it was a secret entry)

and then the wedding.. for punjabi weddings.. they do the baraat (coming all together) .. the guy's side reach the venue and mostly the girls from the bride's side .. hold them outside the venue and do a ribbon cutting which is basically that until the ribbon is cut.. the groom side is not permitted inside.. and girls demand huge AMOUNT of money.. 
and then they are allowed to go in.. and then the traditions follow.. the bride and groom basically take 4 pheres around guru granth sahib and the wedding is done :)

and then mostly the weddings that i've seen is that the doli is taken from gurdwara sahib but some families extend it.. as to taking the couple to gurl's house and do some more shagan and then the girl officially leaves the house buy throwing the rice over her head.. and then she is recieved at her new house with many rasams.. some people do them but mostly they do the the paani waar.. which is what the mother of the guy does .. she puts water in like lota and moves it around the couples head and drinks it.. which represents that while in the travelling any bad nazar that they might've caught... is removed and she drinks that water.. 

and in geet's case i am sure this wont happen because i think it is not allowed to show anyone faking 4 pheres onscreen.. thats why no punjabi wedding has ever been shown onscreen.. they will show the 7 pheres..

this leads to the wedding night.. no explanation needed.. 

and next day or same day reception occurs which is just more dancing..

Hope I helped
Thanks for the explanation.U r awesome.That really helped

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

YusLizsheenu32untamedtigress

yam29 Senior Member
yam29
yam29

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged
oh, great!!!

Thanks alot yaar...

Great help n good explaination...LOL

• Page 1 of 1