Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

MADHURI says no SONAM's mom role in Freaky Friday

-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Maa-dhuri? No way!

SKJ

Posted On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 02:20:03 AM

Madhuri Dixit refused to play mommy to Anil Kapoor's daughter Sonam in the desi remake of Mark Water's film Freaky Friday.

Said a source very close to Madhuri, "When Anil Kapoor offered her Sonam's mother's role Madhuri was in two minds. She felt hesitant about playing mother to a girl in her 20s.

Anil Kapoor

Sonam Kapoor

Madhuri Dixit

At the same time, Madhuri also felt awkward about turning down Anil's offer, an actor with whom she has shared a very warm relationship in the past. So she decided to first watch Freaky Friday.

But yesterday Madhuri decided that the role would not suit her, especially after her last abortive attempt at a comeback in Aaja Nachle. Many protest posts were put up on a social networking site against Madhuri playing mom to Sonam."

Says Madhuri's Indian business manager Rakesh Nath, "After much thought Madhuri has decided not to do the Indian remake of Freaky Friday. She will inform Anilji about her decision as soon as he returns from South Africa."
Edited by -Maddy- - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Sad because she won't be doing the film but in a way glad she won't be doing a mother role even though she becomes the daughter which might have been fun to watch.....ah well
Katalicious thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
But I hope she still comes back with another movie if not this!
Madhuri should not re-enter the industry playing a MOTHER while her own male contemporaries are still playing young LOVERS
Originally posted by: koolchick

Madhuri should not re-enter the industry playing a MOTHER while her own male contemporaries are still playing young LOVERS

😊Agreed! Thanks for the good news Maddy!
LabRat34 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Why does it matter whether she plays a mother or a lover? Isn't it a trait of a good actor to play anything? And according to me, she could easily pull it off. Personally I don't think it's a stretch, if she had married early, she could have a child in her late teens, early twenties, couldn't she?

Why do people forget that even Waheeda Rehman played mother (to her once on-screen lover nonetheless) so I don't see what's so different here. 

Edited by LabRat34 - 13 years ago
naadanmasakalli thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
I agree with Labrat 
PLus plz i got some dvd's by a friend and there r so many films she has done with oldies like rishi and Anil toh we all know so what's the qualm now she can play lover to them but not mom to their Kids 

anyways in a way i m happy because that means a lil less bashing 
Originally posted by: LabRat34

Why does it matter whether she plays a mother or a lover? Isn't it a trait of a good actor to play anything? And according to me, she could easily pull it off. Personally I don't think it's a stretch, if she had married early, she could have a child in her late twenties, couldn't she?

Why do people forget that even Waheeda Rehman played mother (to her once on-screen lover nonetheless) so I don't see what's so different here. 

You're right, a trait of a good actress is to play anything and everything and she can but I'm afraid that if Madhuri plays a role like this first, then she'll be typecasted by directors to play only similar types of roles in the future.

I feel that Madhuri should do a unique kind of role, outside of romance and domesticity, to show that she still has it after all these years since Aaja Nachle was a fail for her. That way she won't receive just these types of roles if she actually wants to star in some films in Bollywood😊

I love Madhuri and hope she can find a niche for herself in this "new Bollywood"😆
Edited by koolchick - 13 years ago
LabRat34 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
^^ No, I completely get what you're saying but as an industry there's too much focus on having to play the romantic lead to be relevant. There's a lot of scope outside that too and she's had her share of movies like that, now she can do whatever she likes and experiment and it's sad to see that she isn't.

Originally posted by: LabRat34

^^ No, I completely get what you're saying but as an industry there's too much focus on having to play the romantic lead to be relevant. There's a lot of scope outside that too and she's had her share of movies like that, now she can do whatever she likes and experiment and it's sad to see that she isn't.

This Bollywood industry is like that. Only Box Office hits are taken into account and not much is expected from actresses.

Kareena, for example, used to do "acting films" and she got nothing but criticism, so she decided to mix it up with some "multi-starrers' and films where the females don't do much and look where she is today.

For Madhuri, it's even worse because she is 40+, a dreaded number for actresses. Someone posted an article yesterday that actresses were finally pushing the bounds of, wait for it, 30. I want her to experiment too, but for that to happen, filmmakers have to put their trust into her too. Anil gave her a way so safe to re-enter BW again that is was almost insulting. She deserves to be given more than just that😊