Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

India-Forums

Judges feedback.. (Page 3)

YusBee IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

peachesnplums

-desigirl- IF-Dazzler
-desigirl-
-desigirl-

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tiya229

Originally posted by ekta_salman

i totally agree :) remo is the perfect judge there .. hes the only one who actually judges dance

malaika and madhuri just give two nice words and done ... they dont have the knowledge to be judges

madhuri is given too much importance for nothin .... !!
LOL.. thats what bothers me... do YOUR job..sometimes i wonder if madhuri is still jet lagged and malaika is busy elsewhere! and they just give generic comments or follow remo.. 
they should only have qualified people as judges...
ditto --- i also feel like they just copy and follow remos judgement and if they have to speak before him they just praise secondary things [costume .. smile ... expression ... blah blah] and never point out technicalities.....
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged
My view is contrary to some people

Madhuri has always been known as a nice person. During her film career she was never critical or embroiled in any controversies critiquing her contemporaries. The media has also always alluded her to being a more 'soft' person. Moreover, she has no experience or expertise in critiquing dance. I always expected her to be the 'soft' judge who would praise a good performance and find a way to make nice when things are not good. She has not exceeded or been below expectations. A bit erratic, but exactly what I expected of her.

Remo to me has been the biggest disappointment. As a professional choreographer and experienced judge from two seasons of DID, I expected much more from him. I thought he would be very focused on technicalities, hoped he would give constructive critique advice on form, training, posture and on the whole be true to dance forms. However, he has fallen way short one expectations. His judgment is extremely erratic. He is strict with some and extremely lax with others. There is no curve to his scoring. I think he tends to be nitpicky on flaws at times but never gives constructive advice on how to improve or fix what went wrong.

Malaika for me has been better than I expected. I think some people tend to have a bias against her for being an item girl and would rather believe she is just a pretty face. For her lack of experience and expertise, I think she has put more sincere effort in broadening her horizon in order to judge. She has given constructive advice regarding postures, pointing of toes, pinpointing steps that went wrong and why.  She is balanced with firmness and niceness. Her scores have no been all over like some others. She is aware she is not an expert and has done what she can.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

taani_20Its_SashblytonYusBeepeachesnplums

peachesnplums IF-Sizzlerz
peachesnplums
peachesnplums

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged

Disclaimer: I'm a lifelong member of the Madhuri Dixit fan club, so you can disregard my long comments, but I hope you don't.

My post -

I'd say compared to international shows, JDJ is still in nascent stages. even if we see the folk round, the expert on each dance may not be happy with what was performed, but it's a good start to display them on a platform for mainstream entertainment.

I think when they adapt a show for each country, the dancing exposure and sensibilities of the majority as well as the participants is also kept in mind. Most indian film dance sequences are a mish-mash of different styles of dancing. Facial expressions and adaas, not just attitude while dancing, is given much more prominence in traditional Indian as well as bollywood dances.

Madhuri has maintained that she'll be judging contestants more on their improvements, potential, expressions. she has said the technical details are for the choreographers to see.

If you've followed madhuri, you'll know she never criticizes anyone severely, and she's maintaining the same in jhalak. in fact, i'm confident if she was stern, there would be a few posts saying she's a rude person.  you can't always please everyone. i think she judges from the viewpoint of a performer, and is informative in a her comments, whenever she talks about indian dances.

To those who say things like Madhuri and Malaika don't even have the knowledge to be the judges Ouch, I'd say that they may not be aware of the finer technical nuances, but they have performed on stage, in films, on shows, so they can definitely share with a celebrity contestant the anticipation, enjoyment, difficulty in process of learning, and see how the contestant has improved as the show goes on. majority of the performances are similar to what these choreographers and actors will be doing in films and on stage. if there is need for a specialized dance form, they would probably bring in the experts for it. that doesn't mean they shouldn't attempt anything new ever, but that we should make a few concessions for them to make mistakes and not always keep them in the crosshairs for precision (probably not a good time to use the term, given the antics of sarah palin Ermm)

one rough week on an international format doesn't mean that the judges are incapable and have to be dismissed. i think they are mostly doing what i had expected them to do (though i do agree that remo should give more constructive criticism). they had sandip soparrkar as a technical choreographer for 1st 2 seasons, maybe they should have someone for this seaosn too (or maybe they already do, and we just don't know yet).

I've said this in an earlier post as well (Madhuri's AT), and will say this again - I can't think of many current bollywood stars who are that knowledgeable about our culture and our language, she's wonderfully different from the mind-blowing/ superb/ awesome/ fantastic/ fantabulous brigade. i like when she talks about kathak or laavni (how it comes from laavanya), etc. Thumbs Up

across many shows, we have technical and non-technical judges. if the choreographer judges bring to the table their dancing expertise, the actors/celebrities bring on their experience as a performer. we could have had 3 choreographers judging too, but if one of the participant is a celebrity, it's fair that a judge is a celebrity, to showcase another point of view. I really prefer this to meaningless TV editing and hyped controversy route that shows usually take.

please see my post here (it links to a critical article on celebrity dance shows)

Edited by peachesnplums - 14 January 2011 at 12:42am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

HeartEmWatsonblyton

neeshi Goldie
neeshi
neeshi

Posted: 13 January 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged
Madhuri n Malaika is quite diplomatic.....Smile

Remo sir feedback is always to the point.....Clap
I like the way remo sir said to ankita.....Clap

REMO SIR ROCKS !!!Dancing

Go to top