Information on TAM ratings & TRP

Posted: 13 years ago
Heyy everyone!!!!!🤗

I am making this topic to share some informations which I have gathered regarding TAM ratings & TRPs & how they are calculated....since many of us don't know about these...

Those who think it is a very interesting topic...I am awaring you all before hand....STOP... It is full of mathematics & formulae which can make you all go dizzy...😆

Audience measurement measures how many people are in an audience, usually in relation to radio listenership and television viewership.

Methods

There are many methods of measuring audience,like - Diaries, Electronic,Software, New media, Ratings point...
We will concentrate only on rating points..

Ratings point

Ratings point is a measure of viewership of a particular television program.

Ratings are a measure of audience size, not (as you might guess) of popularity. If a program gets a rating of 20, that means that 20% of households in the survey area were watching it, averaged across all the minutes when it was being broadcast. Ratings can be either for a particular time (usually a 15-minute period for diaries, 1 minute for meters), or averaged across a time zone - such as an average peak-time rating from 6pm to 10pm.

One single television ratings point (Rtg or TVR) represents 1% of viewers in the surveyed area in a given minute

GRPs / TRPs

Gross rating points (GRPs) or Target Rating Points (TRPs) are chiefly used to measure the performance of TV-based advertising campaigns, and are the sum of the TVRs of each commercial spot within the campaign. The GRP of a campaign is equal to the percentage of people who saw multiplied by the average number of spots that these viewers saw. Targeted Rating Points are a refinement of GRP's to express the reach time frequency of only the most likely prospects.

• Basics of TAM (Television Advertising Measurement):

Universe: Universe is the total or actual number of people in a defined target audience.

Reach: Reach is the number of individuals from the universe who are exposed to the medium or vehicle.

Reach is normally expressed in terms of % (percentages)

• Calculation of Reach:

If universe is: 1000000 Individuals (it's approx. data, it's usually defined through sampling through people-meter)

For a single episode of a program (30 minutes or 1 hour) If out of above 1000000 of individuals 600000 saw at least 1 minute of programme then:

Reach = (600000/1000000) x 100

Reach = 60%

Variations of the REACH CONCEPT

• Gross Reach:

Gross Reach is the summation of all audiences who have been exposed to the vehicle.

• Week 1: 1000
  • Week 2: 2000
  • Week 3: 1500
  • Week 4: 1200
  • Hence, Gross Reach = week 1 + Week 2 + Week 3 + Week 4
  • Gross Reach = 5700
  • Cumulative Reach

Cumulative Reach: The audiences accumulate over the time

• The number of individuals within the TG who are exposed to the medium or vehicle over a certain period of time
  • Total time= Total average minutes (universe) x Universe
  • Total Time/ Reach = Avg minutes viewers
  • Net Reach

' Net Reach: Net Reach is the summation of all audiences who have been exposed to the vehicle and excludes the duplication of the viewership.

• What is TVR (Television Rating Point):

TVR = Reach x Time spent

TVR = (minutes viewed/minutes available) + (mins viewed / minutes available)/N X100

N= Number of individuals

• Gross Rating Points (GRPs)

The sum of all ratings achieved in a campaign GRP levels are generally measured and reported on a 4 week basis It is a measure of the media plan's trust

Target Rating Point

It is a measure of the purchased television points representing an estimate of the component of the target audience within the gross audience. Similar to GRP (short for Gross Rating Point) it is measured as the sum of ratings achieved by a specific media vehicle of the target audience reached by an advertisement. For example, if an advertisement appears more than once, reaching the entire gross audience, the TRP figure the sum of each individual GRP multiplied by the estimated target audience in the gross audience..

Target Rating Points - TRP is the criterion that indicates the popularity of a channel or programme and this data is very useful for the advertisers Presently, INTAM (Indian National Television Audience Measure) basis of its sample homes readings.

TRP Calculation and TRP Rating

In order to arrive at the trp rating , trp calculation is done. For this a special device is attached to the television set in selected viewers' home. These viewers are considered as sample by the TV owners. This special device is called as People's Meter. This people's meter record the time, duration for a programmed being watched in a day. Average is taken for 30 days and trp rating is given.

I can see many of you scratching your heads...😆😆so I am summarising it for you simply..😊

There's a device called People's meter which is attached in our T.V. sets..It records whatever show we are watching & for how much time..The more we watch the show & its repeats & its promos..TRPs are increased....TRP's are used by channels to decide whether they should close a show (in case of low TRPs) or not coz More TRP More Money..

Now the main question arises...what should be done to increase GKD's TRPs??

IF U R in INDIA, make sure that your TV is tuned into NDTV Imagine at least 5 minutes before 9.00 because TRP machine notes down the trp of a show exactly when it starts..so if GKD starts at 8.59pm,it will b recorded exactly that time only...if u tune in even 1 min late and then u will not have contributed to trps

•  If u r having two TV sets at your home, make sure u tune in both the TV sets 5 mins before the GKD show starts so that the trp gets registered from both your TV sets exactly when the show starts ..after 2 mins of the show has passed if u want u can switch off one TV set because trps at the start has already been registered...
  •  People living in India watch the show at 9.00PM on your TV set instead of repeats because a channel always gives top priority to its prime time trps rather than repeat trps...Repeat trps r also taken into count to decide the overall ranking of a channel, but priority wise prime time is given more importance.

I have made sure that I cover all the points...if I am wrong some where or  I have left out something or someone has more information about these....then please comment & post...

I have made a long post for the first time....Plzz hit the like button...😃

Edited by jes_jade - 13 years ago
hehee

now this is my condition after reading this

for my part i do keep 10mins before the show starts and i do watch repeat at times

heheeh
Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sooooooooooo much....
thanx a ton...
Originally posted by chatterbox

hehee

now this is my condition after reading this

for my part i do keep 10mins before the show starts and i do watch repeat at times

heheeh

cb dii.. I can't see any emo.

Thanx for replying dii...🤗
I was thinking to post this topic frm a long time..but was hesitant coz ....this is the maha boring topic but it is important..😳
Originally posted by waqas_ali

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu sooooooooooo much....
thanx a ton...

You are Welcome..😃
how come u cant see the emo

its visible yaar
waqas can u see the emo in my post above

and jessie its good i had read abt this trp thing on another forum but  like always bouncer for me
Jes

thnks yaa..

i dint knew abt trps nd stuff,..

thnk u soo much...

Originally posted by chatterbox

how come u cant see the emo

its visible yaar
waqas can u see the emo in my post above

and jessie its good i had read abt this trp thing on another forum but  like always bouncer for me

Aapko samaj me toh aaya na....actually I have shortened the post & made it half...It was full of calculation & stuffs which was really bouncers & when i made summary of it only 4 lines...😆
So I cut it down..
it dont matter for as we luv gkd
Originally posted by prash_t

Jes

thnks yaa..

i dint knew abt trps nd stuff,..

thnk u soo much...

i shud thank u & priya...i was hesitant in making this..but coz of u all...i got strength..😉😆