Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

There's no marriage in my kundli - Karan Johar

Agent007 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Q & A - Karan Johar Filmmaker

There's no marriage in my kundli

Putting industry rumours to rest Karan Johar reveals why he is destined to remain a wedding planner all his life

Subhash K Jha

Posted On Monday, January 10, 2011 at 02:19:43 AM

So many hats. Now you're a wedding planner for Imran Khan?

I happily helped Avantika and Imran with their wedding. They're friends. And considering there's no wedding in my own life, helping others with their shaadi is my way of living that experience.

So are you one of those sad wedding planners with nothing for themselves?

No. I aspire to be a wedding planner. I live out my own wedding vicariously. There's no marriage in my kundli.

Why the finality?

I love my single existence. I love living with my mother. I feel I am married to her. πŸ˜•

You are launching three new actors in your film Student of The Year?

Yes, two of them Aliya Bhatt and Varun Dhawan are industry kids, while another Siddharth Malhotra has no connections with the industry. Siddharth and Varun were assistant directors on My Name Is Khan (MNIK).

How do you cope with so many Malhotras at Dharma Productions? There are two Siddharth Malhotras, there are Karan and Punit Malhotra'

I think I was a Malhotra in my previous life. We actually have a Malhotra wing at Dharma. There's Dharma Productions. Then there's Dharma-Malhotra Productions. There's a karmic connection between the Johars and the Malhotras.

How did it happen?

I certainly didn't go looking for Malhotras.

Your chat show got embroiled in a controversy when Deepika Padukone and Sonam Kapoor bitched about Ranbir Kapoor.

It has been controversial; sometime the show gets tabloid-friendly. I do the show with good intentions. I never meant to cause any distress or discomfort to any of my guests or their loved ones. The Deepika-Sonam episode created unnecessary controversy. Enough has been said about it.

Are you going to continue doing the chat show?

Not when I am directing. But Koffee With Karan will always be a part of my life. Kids call me 'Koffee Uncle'.

MNIK is one of the contenders for nominations for the Oscars. Does that make it a competitor to Anusha Rizvi's Peepli(Live)?

I don't think so. Peepli  is India's official entry to the Oscars. I am not sure of the modalities. We are happy to be considered after apparently 400,000 fans of MNIK from all over the world petitioned from Poland, Indonesia, Russia, Germany that MNIK should be considered for an Oscar entry.

After your patch-up with Rishi Kapoor, are Ayaan and Ranbir Kapoor back in your production house?

Ayaan is back with a film. He and Ranbir were a dream team in Wake Up Sid. I am sure they will come together again. It would be lovely to work with Ranbir again.

http://mumbaimirror.com/article/30/20110110201101100219438066903a336/There%E2%80%99s-no-marriage-in-my-kundli.html
Edited by Agent007 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I feel like he is afraid to come out which is a shame

Well at least he's not being hooked up with Ekta Kapoor anymoreπŸ˜†
mz.jess thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Darn, my hopes were on Ekta
There's a karmic connection between the Johars and the Malhotras - we know whom he's talking about πŸ˜‰

It's really sad when people have to live in a world where they can't be who they are πŸ˜”. I wish him happiness and I hope he finds his soulmate and is able to live freely with him without having to answer to society's messed up traditions.
mz.jess thumbnail
We don't know for sure whether he is gay or not!

Whatever his sexual orientation is, marriage is not a nessicity! You can be happy without it!
Marriage might not be a necessity for some people but many people (especially in the South Asian culture) hold it as a very important part of their lives. There's millions of straight couples who desire to be married, so its only natural that gay people wish to get married right? Cmon, Kjo has to be gay, have you read his interviews, his tweets, his new year resolutions etc etc? I'm positive that he's gay and if he is not then well, that's completely fine as well  😊
mz.jess thumbnail

I think many people take the certain stereotypes set by the media/movies a little too far

You honestly can't assume an individual's sexual orientation unless they say what it is, nomatter how much his tweets or interviews may point to him being gay

I'm all for indiviual preferences, whatever they may be!
But I don't think we have a right to assume certain things and label them as absolute
but were all entitled to our opinion :)
I agree, we cant assume people's sexual orientation based on the stereotypes but if Karan himself keeps talking about cleaning up his cluttered closet and about marriage not being in his destiny etc etc then it's difficult not to think otherwise. But I know what you're saying, we shouldn't label people based on our assumptions, but I personally feel that we should stop assuming all people are straight unless they openly come out and say they're not.
mz.jess thumbnail
Yep, that's exactly what I think

It goes both ways, you can't assume someone is straight or gay unless they state they are

there should be no hypocrisy about it, and as for Karan Johar's jokes, I never agreed withthem, especially if he isn't gay because that is indirectly insulting people who are

jaky thumbnail
i don't know why but i really want to see this man married and has kids too .........