Kolkata Monument ;Children Of Destiny

JustShanta thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Indentured labourers honoured with Kolkota monument

Indentured labourers are being honoured with a monument that was unveiled in Kolkota, India with a two-day ceremony that ends today.

The "Kolkota Indenture Memorial" was inaugurated on January 7 with a plaque that was placed at the location where indentured immigrants boarded the ship for the journey overseas. The plaque is a landmark where a monument and a museum will be established to remember those who were shipped off as indentured labourers and placed on bonds to work on estates.

Millions of East Indians were transported to the Caribbean, Africa, the Pacific, and Indian Ocean islands to work as contractual indentured servants. Approximately, 148,000 came to Trinidad and Tobago to work on the sugar plantations as a cheap form of labour on the colonies.

Some 300 diplomats and distinguished guests were invited from around the globe and travelled to Kolkota for the occasion. The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs believes that the "Kolkota Indenture Memorial" will serve to educate future generations about this system of bondage through arts, artifacts and other exhibits depicting the life of indentured servants and the entire indentured system. There is the hope that a monument such as this will help people to trace their roots and feel connected to their ancestors.

Edited by JustShanta - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Daisy15 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing info:-)
Annamarie thumbnail
Thanks for sharing info .
gardes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Indentured labor - the legacy of the Raj in India!

At least someone has picked up on the need to recognize people who were forced to emigrate continents away from the homeland as bonded labor, all in the name of colonialism.

ShantaJi, Thanks for sharing the article.
kinu17 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
Thank you for sharing this ....God bless you
ChinadollTwo thumbnail
Thank you Shanta for sharing this article. I'm proud of my hometown Kolkota for erecting a Monument in their honour!

Inspite of Bonded Labour Abolition Act to check this menace, it still continues unchecked in our Country, even today!
bholabear thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Thank you for sharing this, Shanta! So many millions of people of Indian heritage will surely find a connect with this monument. Great gesture by the govt also.
evasumi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Thank you for the article Shantaji...

N025 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you for sharing Shanta! 
I am very close to a few families of Indian origin whose ancestors were forced to leave India to work as farm labors in the sugarcane fields of Fiji. Few years back few of my friends went to India for the first time to see where their ancestors came from. I will pass on this info to them. Thank you again.
gauranitai thumbnail
oh i now realized wat u were talking about aunty shanta. ðŸ˜† thanks for sharing