*~*~*Shanghai Fanclub~*'* (Page 4)

Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged
I wanted to do something intense with Shanghai: Dibakar Banerjee

Published: Monday, Jan 17, 2011, 15:33 IST
Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI

A desire to do something intense after Love Sex Aur Dhoka (LSD) led director Dibakar Banerjee to adapt Greek author Vassilis Vassilikos' book Z in Indian context for his upcoming political thriller Shanghai.

The three films old director says he wanted to make a film on the establishment for some time but did not know how to go about it until he read the book.

"I have been thinking about a lot of things that happen in our country but I did not know the right way to bring it together in a movie. I had seen the French film long back but read the book two-years ago. That's when I thought that it could be fantastic to adapt it in Indian context," Banerjee told PTI.

"I liked the sheer intensity of the book and I wanted to do something intense for sometime. I have taken the central incident and have adapted it to the Indian context," says the director.

Written in 1967, Z is about the real-life assassination of Greek politician Grigoris Lambraskis in 1963. It has been translated in many languages and was also made into an award-winning film in 1969 by French filmmaker Costa-Gavras.

He went and met Vassilikos and bought the rights and the film is all set to go on floors with the unusual cast of Abhay Deol and Emraan Hashmi. The director is still looking for a leading lady but plans to finish the film by this year.

Banerjee, who took unknown faces to expose the voyeuristic nature of Indian middle class in Love, Sex Aur Dhokha, says it was a "crazy idea" to bring two unlikely personalities together that prompted him to rope in Hashmi, best known for his serial-kisser image and Deol, the poster boy of Indian alternative cinema.

"Actually, the casting is inspired by the movie where these two protagonists who are poles apart and meet because of the central incident. I thought it would be interesting to repeat it in real life. It was crazy because they are so different from each other that in real life too they would have never met otherwise," says Banerjee.

Was there any reluctance in casting Hashmi, the bad boy of commercial Hindi cinema? Banerjee says he had his eyes on Hashmi for a long time.

"I have been watching him since Footpath and have seen most of his films. Emraan is at an interesting point in his career. He is creating a new path for himself. Also I wanted to brings out the contrast in the two roles," he adds.

After casting Abhay as a small-time theif in Oye Lucky, Lucky Oye, Banerjee is repeating him again but says the role in Shanghai is a departure for the actor.

"There has been a type to Abhay's previous roles. He has been the black sheep, a rebel, young romantic type but it is a major shift for him. This time he is representing the conservative elite. He is the establishment and a very complex character," says Banerjee, adding that playing a Tamil Brahmin will be another challenge for the actor.

Talking about the unusual name of the movie, being produced by PVR Pictures, the director says he wanted to make it memorable.

"People will remember it. Also, it is a kind of metaphor on Shanghai of our dreams and how real it is," he adds.

Along with Anurag Kashyap, Banerjee has been hailed as the new face of Indian cinema but the director says he avoids being slotted.

"I remember when I made Khosla Ka Ghosla people called me next Rishikesh Mukherjee, with Oye Lucky, Lucky Oye they called me a Delhi director but after LSD they have stopped trying to call me anything. I try not to think about it. Its better that you try not to define yourself or think of how people should perceive you."

Banerjee says he has some interesting ideas and will start developing them post Shanghai.

koolchick IF-Rockerz

Requested Self ban

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 6:52pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged

Untried and untouched forms of cinema attract Abhay Deol

Submitted by Surbhi Garg on Mon, 01/17/2011 - 11:11

Abhay Deol, known for his unconventional movies, likes to surprise audience with his every film. Untried and untouched forms of cinema give him a new zone to show his acting skills and create something innovative and interesting.

He is a unique actor and loves dark humor. Earlier, he had tried his skills in the films like Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd, Dev D, Manorama Six Feet Under, Ek Chaalis Ki Last Local and Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!, which had received great appreciation by the audience.

At present he is involved in Dibakar Banerjee's film Shanghai which is a political thriller and will be released in April.

Abhay Deol said that the film is an official Hindi adaptation of political thriller "Z" written by Greek novelist Vassilis Vassilikos on the assassination of a politician.

Abhay has worked with Dibakar for Oye Lucky Lucky Oye and since then he has formed a good repo with him. When he was offered this film by Dibakar, Abhay did not even read the script and say yes to the film.

Other than Abhay Deol, Emraan Hashmi will also play a lead character in the film.

The story surrounds the common people's view of taking the end of politics. This movie tells how the decision on the political fronts affects the day to day working of common people.

Abhay is playing a grey character in the film and he promised that his role will again surprise his audience. Abhay is very much influenced by Dibakar's way of presenting the script as he develops his own world in narrating the scripts and creating them.

Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by koolchick

Banerjee does sound really refreshing

I've never actually seen Oye Lucky Lucky Oye even though I have the DVD at homeLOL

we're actually in the same boatLOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

koolchick

Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 17 January 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by VirgoVixen

Hey Zareena thanks for letting me know about this FC, won't be regular but will catch up on articles and stuff related to the movie. well, movie seems something different (esp. the female character description), never seen any of Dibakar's movies - I tried watching Oye lucky but fell asleep in the middle cuz not a huge fan of comedies personally and Delhi style of talking is complicated for me to understand. But yes, I started at Abhay as long as was possible cuz he's so Embarrassed.

What does it mean by he's a natural so he won't get married? Matlab? ConfusedLOL

yaar can i ask you something? where do you get these abhay sonam siggies from?? They're always so Gorgeous!!Embarrassed
Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 19 January 2011 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
Abhay, Emraan will break stereotypes in 'Shanghai': Dibakar Banerjee
By IANS, 20 January, 2011

Filmmaker Dibakar Banerjee, who has brought actors Emraan Hashmi and Abhay Deol together for the first time for his film 'Shanghai', says they will be seen in a new light in his movie.

'I have been aware of how people look at Abhay... they see him as this black sheep and dark horse. And I know when people think of Emraan, they think of a kiss. But in this film, equations will change and they will be seen in a very different light,' Dibakar told IANS.

'I needed two characters who were dramatically different in this film. Abhay came in first and then I pursued Emraan. They'll be breaking all kinds of stereotypes in this film,' added the director of 'Khosla Ka Ghosla' and 'Love Sex Aur Dhokha'.

'Shanghai' will go on floors this April.
Zareena IF-Stunnerz
Zareena
Zareena

Posted: 13 February 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged

The Unconventional Hero

Abhay Deol, who is known for his off-beat roles, talks about playing a South Indian in Dibakar Banerjee's Shanghai, penning scripts and signing two new projects.

Whether it's his unconventional roles or his candid remarks, Abhay Deol has a penchant for making news. The tall actor, who was last seen in Aisha in 2010 as the suave Arjun Burman, is on a roll this year. Apart from playing an interesting character in Dibakar Banerjee's Shanghai and sharing screen space with Hrithik Roshan and Farhan Akhtar in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, he has also signed two brand new projects of which one is an out-and-out commercial entertainer. But prod him a little further to reveal more details and the suave actor flashes his dimples and says, "I cannot reveal more as the production houses want to make their own announcements."

Otherwise the lovable robber of Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!, who spouted Punjabi cusswords in the National Award-winning film, is now treading new ground. Apart from wearing glasses, Abhay will also be playing a Tamilian for the first time in Shanghai. "My character is a South Indian based in the North and it's will be interesting to explore how a Tamilian based in North India would speak. We do not want to go in for any stereotypes or make him into a caricature, but portray him as someone very real. Next month we will decide how much of an accent he should have and what his mannerisms should be. I call this more of fun than a challenge," smiles the actor.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/The-Unconventional-HERO/747605/

Go to top