Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) - POST ALL REVIEWS HERE (Page 14)

TheDilettante IF-Rockerz

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Isha.IshaBheegiBasanti

BheegiBasanti IF-Sizzlerz
BheegiBasanti
BheegiBasanti

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
@TheDilettante: You watched the film 3 times already? Cool! Just curious...what is your favorite Hindi movie?
TheDilettante IF-Rockerz

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged

donniedorko Groupbie
donniedorko
donniedorko

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged
If you are watching this movie because it is starring Aamir Khan, ask yourself a question, do you usually watch art films or low budget independent movies? If the answer is no, then I doubt you will enjoy this movie. A lot of these kind of films go missed, under the radar. This one has the star power of Aamir Khan to give it enough publicity in the media and people coming to the theatre. Now I don't believe that all art films are boring, or have to be boring, this one I'm afraid is paced slowly though and you may find yourself struggling to finish the movie. Some of the shots of Mumbai are breathtaking, still you never get immersed into the city.

What you will remember walking out of this movie is not the story, but the four main characters. One actor that stands out above the rest is Prateik Babbar, Monica Dogra is not so bad, I think her character was still not given enough depth. Aamir Khan is floating somewhere in the background never being utilised fully, given his character it makes sense, he is not meant to steal the spotlight, a mysterious character who's little background is revealed as the movie progresses. The sister making the video diaries is a miss, you never feel her pain, or her motive to keep making these videos, a wasted character to give Aamir Khan something to do.

All in all I would say not a landmark film, it will get mixed reactions, will definately get people talking about it which is always a great achievement for a film. This is one of those movies that you may not enjoy upon your first viewing, it is meant to stay with you, and be discussed and interpreted months after it has been released. Maybe it's the frustration you feel from watching it, that you felt like it went nowhere and was a waste of time, which leads me to ask my initial question again, do you usually watch art films or low budget independent movies?

Edited by donniedorko - 23 January 2011 at 11:54pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Kai.U-No-Poo

hedwig_fawkes Goldie
hedwig_fawkes
hedwig_fawkes

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheDilettante

Was dil tadap tadap ke kah raha hai aa bhi ja from Madhumati (Vyjayantimala dies and reappears) in the opening cab scene in which Yasmin traveled, a presage of her mystery or was it an ode to Mumbai or both?

And details. The cab sticker read 'ghar kab aaoge' .

That is one interpretation. Or perhaps it served to highlight the similarity between the protagonists of the two films.. as in, both their love interests are dead, and they sort of communicate with them from 'beyond the grave', literally in the case of Madhumati, and figuratively as far as Dhobi Ghat is concerned. In that, it could be a subtle foreshadowing of Yasmin's fate, along with the more obvious missing ceiling fan in the beginning of the film.

On an aside, can someone please help me locate the soundtrack of the film? I can't seem to find it anywhere..
Gobsmacked IF-Rockerz

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Rekha_ji-Mmmmm-Ozymandiasmysticgoryfilmswida

Kai. IF-Sizzlerz
Kai.
Kai.

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
i just finished watching.
 From IF public review the reaction was mixed some found it very slow, boring no connectivity while others appreciated the style of film making where photographs, home camera and even painting is used as a means to communicate.

i kept my expecting low especially after the disappointed i had from peepli tv! I must say i really enjoyed the movie, the characters are interested though Yasmin character could have been developed further. The most interesting part i found was Arun falling for a girl by just watching her home video. You get to know the character from her filming i wished we could see more of her.

Munna character was predictable but Babbar Jr. did a good job! Shia's character seemed a bit confusing to me especially when she is caught up b/w Arun & Munna!!

Arun's character was good and Aamir did a good job underplaying not outshining the new cast!

There were a few loose ends in the fillm however over all it's an interesting piece of cinema!!
If are a fan of typical bollywood films, singing dancing, high voltage drama you will be disappointed.

great job by Kiran!Thumbs UpThumbs Up hope we get to see more films of her.

Edited by Kai_Hiwatari - 25 January 2011 at 2:24pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

perfectlyflawed

ladygaga IF-Dazzler
ladygaga
ladygaga

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged
Dhobi Ghat Drops On Monday

Tuesday 25th January 2011 15.30 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Dhobi Ghat dropped on Monday as it grossed around 1.25 crore nett. The drops ranged from 55-70% from Friday depending on location.

The better multiplexes in metroes had the smallest drops while circuits like CP Berar, CI and Rajasthan dropped heavily be it multiplexes or the limited single screens.

The four day business of the film is around 10 crore nett and it should get a boost on Wednesday due Republic Day holiday but as collections are pretty low the boost may just be of 40-50 lakhs. The week is looking to finish at 13 crore nett

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=2469&nCat=box_office_news

Go to top