Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) - POST ALL REVIEWS HERE (Page 11)

BheegiBasanti IF-Sizzlerz
BheegiBasanti
BheegiBasanti

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged
Ahh...just returned from watching the movie. Too tired to write my thoughts right now but will do so tomorrow. I think this is the kind of movie that most people will either wholeheartedly love or hate...no room in the middle.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sajnie

kash4life IF-Rockerz
kash4life
kash4life

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged
Just watched it...

I did NOT like the film at all. Yes they may say its for the classes not masses etc, but  I actually felt like I was watching a documentary on Mumbai. Which as wonderful as it may be was not the most interesting to watch for 1 and half hours. I really did not see any particular storyline, or any point to what was being shown to me. I felt that Kiran Rao thinks that to make her cinema seem credible she has to make it all about visuals, and make it 'art' cinema, but it lacks ANY substantial storyline.

Prateik Babbar is what made the film somewhat watchable, he is so subtle and understated in his acting, but it comes across so realistic and practical.

I personally think that this was one of Aamir's weakest performances.

I love AK films, and his acting, but I'm not gonna go praise this film just because its an Aamir Khan film and so I 'have to' and its the right thing to do because everyone always does.

The performances were much better than the film itself.

BheegiBasanti

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged
I have mixed feelings about this film. I think that even though it meant to showcase the multiple facets of the ever-alive city bombay (I like it more than mumbai =p) through four different characters, somewhere it could not cement a connection between those characters and the audience. I didn't find that 'realistic' aspect in the characters that everyone seemed to rave about, and neither did I think that any of them could have been the person next door (sans munna)

1) arun - aamir was definitely miscast as the reclusive, lonely arun. he had way too much star shadow constantly trailing behind him in every scene to be able to come across as 'lonely'. usually strong screen presence is considered as a plus point for actors, but in this film, it turned against him. the character required an unknown face, someone who could easily slip into and get lost in the crowd, someone who wouldn't even be noticed if he didn't open his mouth. hence, aamir the actor was in constant conflict with arun the character. since the film is so character oriented, it was difficult to isolate both these identities and look at them separately. 

however, I liked how the mystery around his character was maintained. it certainly does make the viewer curious to gain an insight into his troubled life. 

2) shai - she was someone I couldn't identify with at all. of course, considering her character sketch I feel most people wouldn't, but even then, I felt that her character lacked depth. her character was built around her passion for photography, and yet I didn't feel it. or maybe it just got lost amidst the constant girly giggles and superficial conversations. I didn't know that rich, english speaking NRIs were supposed to be shallow. she came across as an immature girl out on a discovery trip.

on the flip side, her relationship with munna was endearing. they came across as two people who had quite a lot in common despite the social and communication barriers. 

3) yasmin - she was one-dimensional, because we could only see her in her video diaries, not as an actual character. so we could only gain as much insight into her character as she allowed us to. in front of the camera, one only divulges as much as he/she wants to. had she been a real character, then maybe we could have got to know more about her. anyway, from whatever that we did see of her, I felt that her diaries sounded rehearsed. they didn't sound natural and spontaneous; as someone's personal diary is supposed to be. it was almost as if she had been told to make the audience believe that she was an unhappy, resentful and conflicted wife. 

4) munna - the most identifiable and 'real' character of the film. he did seem noble in a few scenes, yet he didn't come across as the typical bollywood hero who can do anything for his love. he was a regular young chap, besotted by the NRI lady so much that he didn't want to give her the address of the man she had fallen for. his aspiration to become the next salman khan, for which he lifted weights and did crunches daily, seemed like the aspiration of any other wannabe actor. prateik was terrific in this role - he completely molded himself into munna, effortlessly slipping into the character of a guy who was innocent despite hardships, ambitious despite circumstances, and had the guts to fall in love despite the defamation by the society.

I'd have considered the 'storyline' aspect too, but this film rode mostly on it's characters - that could have been much, much stronger. maybe more could have been shown about arun's daily life, instead of just grand art gallery openings, wine glass clinking and swearing - how he copes with his anti-social behavior, and what his regular day is like. shai could have been less superficial. at some points I felt as though she resembled aisha (from aisha). yasmin could have been a lot more spontaneous in her diaries. I don't have too many issues with munna, his character made the film watchable. 

ultimate verdict is that this film didn't 'sink into my skin like an ache'. it drags quite a bit halfway through and does get a tad bit boring. I'll give it 2.5/5 - mostly for munna (pratiek), and the background score. 

Edited by CZ.. - 22 January 2011 at 3:51pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-RD-sajniekoolchickBheegiBasantiswan20

romiebee2002 IF-Stunnerz
romiebee2002
romiebee2002

Posted: 22 January 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged
Ah thanks all for sharing your thoughts will check the movie out in my spare time

BheegiBasanti

TallyHo IF-Rockerz
TallyHo
TallyHo

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged

Rangan's review...it beautifully sums up my experience of watching Dhobighat...may contain some **SPOLERS**

MINIMUM CITY

Forget the rangy big points. It's the sculpted small-moment that marks this elegant elegy to Mumbai.

JAN 23, 2011 – JUST WHAT CAN A MOVIE SAY about the roiling metropolis of Mumbai that hasn't already been said? This must be a quandary similar to the one faced by a conductor asked to present an overfamiliar orchestral work – say, Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. The instant the strings outline the thunderous four-note motif, the audience begins to anticipate the piece ahead, measure for measure. Possibilities for variations exist – in tempo, in style, in expressiveness – but the magnificent monstrousness of the overall work, the sheer overwhelming size of it all, does not (and cannot) change. But imagine that out of the vast strings section, a solitary cellist were brought to the fore. So too from the woodwinds, percussion and brass sections a single saxophonist, a single timpanist, a single trombonist. And imagine that the rest of the orchestra were silenced. The sounds that emerge from this quartet will never accumulate into a symphony, but from these sad strains you could sense a what-might-have-been, the extrapolation occurring not in front of your eyes but inside your head.

That's the task Kiran Rao takes up in Dhobi Ghat. With just four players, she attempts to communicate an impression of the teeming symphony that is Mumbai, and she follows the path trodden by recent first-time female filmmakers like Nandita Das and Zoya Akhtar, who, to varying extents in Firaaq and Luck By Chance, chose the well-chiselled vignette over the swollen sequence, the interlocking multiple-strand narrative over a linear and gradually tightening storyline. But unlike those fine films, the elegantly elegiac Dhobi Ghat isn't constrained by a timeframe (the Gujarat riots) or confined to an ecosystem (the Mumbai film industry). This film's quartet – who may be representative of the four discrete, open-ended notes we hear in the first snatch of the moody score – consists of Arun (Aamir Khan), Shai (Monica Dogra), Yasmin (Kriti Malhotra) and Munna (Prateik Babbar), a tightly connected foursome that sprawls all over the socioeconomic spectrum.

Through his Marc Jacobs and Calvin Klein tees, through the Warholian pop-art in his home, and through his reluctant appearance at art soirees (he's a painter and a self-confessed loner), we're given to understand that Arun moves in the same circles as Shai, the builder's daughter and the investment banking consultant and amateur photographer whose position of privilege is never in question. Munna is instantly identified by his tastes (he's a dhobi, a bodybuilding actor-aspirant who worships Salman Khan) and by his matchbox-sized tenement, and the lonely housewife Yasmin seems to fall somewhere in between – though given the tightness with which she's often shot, she probably leans more towards Munna's world than Arun and Shai's. (When we are introduced to Yasmin, she's in a car that's presented like a claustrophobic prison; in contrast, Arun and Shai are frequently observed through medium and long shots, relaxed in their airy, well-appointed environments.) Yasmin, who shoots herself and her surroundings with a video camera, is also the film's gentle narrator, a stand-in for the director's rueful observations about Mumbai, the city of impermanence, the city that demands that you sacrifice that which you love the most, the city whose sea breeze is redolent with the desires of millions.

Very often, when filmmakers tilt consciously towards poetry, the film begins to hover in a whimsical never-never-land – but just as, in that first scene with Yasmin, her poetic reverie is abruptly grounded by the reality of street kids clamouring outside the car, and just as Shai's flighty pretensions of being on a "sabbatical" are punctured by Arun's smirk, Rao has a way of snapping out dreamy languor and slapping herself to saneness. In this, she's helped by the semblance of plot points that could have just as easily been treated as melodrama – like the almost-love-triangle between Arun, Munna and Shai, or the more obviously melodramatic contrivance of Arun rediscovering himself through a voice calling out from the past, a vaguely Madhumati-like turn of events that lends the film song we hear at the beginning (and which is noted at the end of this review) a wholly unexpected resonance. And the performers, with the exception of the star at the centre, are perfect – perhaps because the tone is so low-key and his lines are so minimal, Aamir resorts to silent-film acting, and the contrast between his overplaying and the beautiful understatement of his costars is a jarring undertone the film never really shrugs off.

These characters are filled in with the most delicate of brush strokes. Yasmin is identified with visuals of grapes and talk of mangoes and through the magnetic stickers of fruits and vegetables on her fridge. The closed-in Arun appears to be constantly living out of boxes, and bubble wrap appears as essential to his life as furniture. Even the minor characters have their moments. Shai's Anglo-Indian maidservant frowns (in a fashion familiar to anyone who's seen the black maid's disapproval of the black Sidney Poitier in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner) upon her mistress's closeness to Munna – Shai's egalitarian ways, reflective of a true outsider who comes from outside India, don't make sense to her, and one of the film's funniest moments is when she brings in a tea tray, a china mug for Shai and a glass container for Munna. Rakesh, the real-estate agent who situates Arun in his new flat – and whom we see only once – is subsequently given a splash of colour when Arun calls him after discovering a few things the previous residents seem to have left behind. Over the phone, Arun mentions that there's a ring, and a pause later, he replies that it's silver. In that instant, we smile while filling up the gap in the conversation, realising that Rakesh was intrigued by the possibility of gold or even diamonds.

The threads that bind Rao's quartet are so gossamer-fine, so near-invisible, that the only way get a hold of this material – at first – appears to be to nail down a concrete answer to a concrete question: Just what is this film about? Munna is the one who helps Shai find Arun – once early on; then towards the end – so are we to applaud the labouring class that's the city's lifeblood, without which the upper classes would shrivel up and die, unable to reach out and make connections and find creative inspiration? (Arun and Shai prey on Yasmin and Munna, respectively, in order to make their art, and even when Arun sets out to locate someone, the only person he can think of asking for help is the building's watchman.) Is Dhobi Ghat, therefore, an ode to the oppressed? Or are we to be alerted to the issue that it's Yasmin, a Muslim woman from UP – an out-of-towner like Shai (from New York) and Munna (from Bihar) and Arun (who appears to be from southern India, given that he is addressed as T Arun and he's seen visiting a "Madrasi" restaurant) – who, with her video camera, is recording the city's daily history? Is Dhobi Ghat, hence, an ode to the outsider?

Is the point that they're all migrants, moving from one city to another, from one house to another, from life to death? Is the point that it's the women who are shaping our impressions of the city, given that the cameras are wielded by Shai, Yasmin, and, of course, by Kiran Rao? Is Dhobi Ghat after the English-empowered Mumbai, where daughters of maidservants rattle off poems by Tennyson? Is the fact that gangsters play a marginal part of this story an indication – or perhaps a hope – that that Mumbai exists to that extent only in the films of Ram Gopal Varma? Is this yet another clichd chronicle of haves versus have-nots – and is that why, during that exquisite montage against the backdrop of rain, Arun holds out his glass of whiskey and fills it with water, whereas the same rainwater causes Munna to hold out a mug, in order to contain the leaking from his roof? (The former is an affectation; the latter a survival strategy.) Or is alienation the real theme – the physical distance from close family, the emotional distance between neighbours, and in Munna's case especially, the toughest-to-bridge distance between reality and dreams?

Rao isn't telling. If there are Big Thesis Points embedded in Dhobi Ghat, she's leaving the unearthing to others. And like Sofia Coppola, she's more interested in sweating the small stuff, sculpting the here and now. She's not after what happens but how – the gradual (sometimes very gradual; despite the observation that everything in Mumbai happens quickly, this story is very deliberately paced) unfolding of scenelets in a manner that's sensual and rarely sentimental. (Munna's nonchalant confession of not missing his family in Bihar, for instance, is milked for laughs, not tears.) There's so much mood in the frames, so much compassion and feeling, that the awkward plot points (like Shai's stalking Arun, or Munna's boy-toy encounter with a society matron, or the needless emphasis on Shai's father clutching a copy of The Wall Street Journal) are swept away like Yasmin's writings on the sands of the sea.

We revel, instead, in the myriad moments – Munna, in the first flush of love, leaning outside a bus and feeling the air against his face; Munna, for no particular reason than because he feels like it, sliding down the handrail in a subway; Arun displaying his meticulous obsession as he cleans up an old artifact with a toothbrush or folds table napkins into imperfect origami shapes; the gradual dishevelment of Yasmin as she traverses her tragic trajectory, whispering her secrets into the depths of the sea; the beautiful symmetry in Munna's first and final meetings with Shai – the first time he almost runs into her car; finally, he runs after her car (and delivers the film's greatest grace note). And we sense the profound love that Rao invests in her characters. It's no accident that the film song heard in the opening stretch, the song that defines Rao's Mumbai, isn't the robustly cynical Yeh hai Bambai meri jaan but the swoonily romantic Dil tadap tadap ke keh raha hai. Dhobi Ghat is nothing more, and nothing less, than Rao's minimalistic mash note to the residents of maximum city.

http://baradwajrangan.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/review-dhobi-ghat-983652426748/

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Vedika211Isha.IshaTheDilettanteDexterkichokri

TheDilettante IF-Rockerz

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 2:26am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Vedika211Isha.IshaTallyHoDexterkichokriaxeionBheegiBasanti

TheDilettante IF-Rockerz

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Isha.Isha

TallyHo IF-Rockerz
TallyHo
TallyHo

Posted: 23 January 2011 at 2:31am | IP Logged
Maya, I think we posted almost together...LOL....Rangan's review is awesome!!!

BheegiBasanti

Go to top