Armu4eva Coolbie
Armu4eva
Armu4eva

** Super Coolbie **

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged

High drama wins

January 8th, 2011
Priyanka Kelkar and A. L. Chougule

Season Four of Bigg Boss, which comes to an end today, was the most controversial so far, attracting Government ire over its adult content. But the format, which relies heavily on housemates to create drama, delivered on its promise. A staged marriage, an international celebrity house guest and another as a contestant, a film star host and a bunch of mini-celebrities worked ratings magic for the show. "The right mix of host, cast, characters, stories and emotions kept viewers glued to the show," says Deepak Dhar, Country Head of Endemol India, which produced Bigg Boss.

This has perhaps been the show's most controversial season. There were demonstrations by political parties outside the Bigg Boss house. Then there were injunctions by the court that shifted the time slot as the content of the show was deemed "vulgar" by some. Ashwini Yardi, programming head — Colors (the channel that airs Bigg Boss 4) admits that the experience has been chaotic. "We faced a lot of tough situations, but that didn't hamper the team's spirit. The show is a reflection of society. Our attempt is to bring a variety of participants. People react differently when under stress, and in the house, they eat, sleep, plan and also manipulate. It's a cauldron of human emotions."

There have always been allegations of Bigg Boss episodes being scripted. Whether it was the Rahul Mahajan-Payal Rohatgi-Monica Bedi triangle or the Aryan Vaid-Anupama Verma and Ashmit Patel-Veena Malik romances, there have always been voices that say the drama is staged. But Ashwini denies the allegations. "The show is about 14 housemates and 50 cameras capturing them. It is an unscripted drama, you can't stage it."

Dhar too denies the show is scripted. "You can't write scripts for 13 people. How is it possible to script interactions, arguments and fights over 96 days?" he says.

Contestant Aanchal Kumar agrees, saying, "I was not given any brief or script. All interactions happen in front of you," she confirms. Rahul Bhatt feels it is at least partially scripted. "It can be controlled in several ways, like giving protection to certain housemates, bringing in evicted housemates through the wild card. Sara's marriage was completely staged," he says. Sameer Soni, who was evicted last week doesn't rule out the possibility of certain housemates getting preferred treatment, says, "People who create fights are protected."

Mirror mirror, who will be the winner

Dolly Bindra: This lady can put a sailor to shame when it comes to swearing. She is arguably the most entertaining housemate around. Whether it is calling Veena Malik a "hotel" for men or pouncing on Shweta Tiwari, Dolly is the only person who has remained friends with wrestler Khali! But latest promos show her attacking Khali.

Khali: There are gentle giants and then there is Khali, the boring, lazy giant. The man would rather go thirsty than get himself a glass of water to drink. His strange accent and the fact that he does nothing to liven up the environment makes one wonder how he has lasted so long.

Ashmit Patel: Amisha Patel's flop star brother comes across as a shady soul. After flirting with Sara Khan he cosied up to Veena Malik. But the man who was no charmer till a few days ago suddenly finds fans as he said in an episode that Shweta should win as she needs the money and he is happy to have come this far.

Shweta Tiwari: She is the only girl giving Dolly a run for her money. Apart from being the prettiest of this lot, she is conducting herself with grace, is an excellent mimic, and even got Dolly to back off from constantly picking on her. Also, Shweta has been on reality shows before, so she knows how to play the game.

People who have participated, been eliminated and even won the show

Rahul Roy, winner Season 1, Bigg Boss
What people saw of me on the show is exactly the way I've been over the past 12 years. In the house too, I tried to be unbiased, and I guess people saw that. If you try to fake it, you'll crack before too long. At no point of time during my stay in the house did I feel like I was "standing against" anybody. Also, there was a feeling that we should try and present our best sides, as we are part of an industry that is very often misunderstood.
The show has done incredibly well despite the controversies because we are all voyeurs. Thankfully, the foul language was toned down this year after the public outcry. Salman has been a brilliant host this year, and although people say a lot of Season 4 was scripted, all I want to say is that the housemates learn a great deal about themselves.

Sara Khan, inmate, eliminated in Season 4
My impression of the show wasn't great earlier. But I realised the show is a great opportunity to find out just what people think about you.

I was friendly with everyone, except Dolly (Bindra). The only time she would talk nicely to us would be when we were in the kitchen and there was good food. All the other inmates were perfectly fine with me, but Dolly was a thorn in my side. I enjoyed sharing screen space with Pamela Anderson and Khali. The difference after Bigg Boss was of course that I was married! It was by far the most memorable thing that happened to me.

@deccanchronicle.com

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hidefire_gun

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top