Debate Mansion

No One Killed Jessica? (Page 6)

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

This pretty much summed up all of my thoughts.
I totally agree that the bit where the guy says he doesn't want money but neither does he want a bullet is the best part of the trailer. Of course one of the main issues is about getting Jessica Lal justice but I think another problem is that if Manu Sharma wasn't put in jail and no-one testified then how would this affect future generations? We just assume that it won't be us or any of our loved ones that would be affected by helping a murderer be declared innocent. If today we let them be free then what's to say they won't commit the same crime again at a later stage in life?

The movie looks good and I like the way they've worked on Vidya's looks to make her look quite simple and innocent. Usually I like Rani but I think they could've taken someone else to play a reporter. Someone with a slightly stronger personality with a stern voice like Bipasha Basu maybe?

He defended manu sharma. He's the same guy who defended harshad mehta, ketan parekh and now binayak sen LOL

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged
he just called sagarikha ghose all sorts of nonsense

as much as his response is wild and weird, it is silly to ask him why he took a case. Even if he doesnt take the case, the court would have appointed a lawyer
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bandicoot

he just called sagarikha ghose all sorts of nonsense

as much as his response is wild and weird, it is silly to ask him why he took a case. Even if he doesnt take the case, the court would have appointed a lawyer

actually sagarika ghose is foolish. It's not really silly. Although he does have a right to defend anyone he pleases, why go for these criminals like manu sharma and harshad mehta?!
Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 5:30am | IP Logged
WOW, this topic really got me thinking.

Honestly, I really do not know. I don't know what it's like to be in a witness' shoes nor do I even know what threats you have if you come out as a witness. So, I really don't know what I would do.

But, for one, I know my conscience wouldn't let me be happy if I brush the truth aside and remain aloof. I would be at a war with myself for being heartless, for being wrong, for not standing by what is right.. Think about Jessica Lal's family, wouldn't I feel hopeless if I was in their place?  I would do anything to get the murderer behind the bars.

And, if I come out as a witness and testify, I am putting my family in jeopardy and I don't want anything or anybody to hurt them and all. It's really a tough position to be placed in.

On second thoughts, somewhere, a part of me tells me "why should I even think about it when the safety of my loved ones is in jeopardy?". I don't think I might ever want a revenge/fight for justice if I lose my loved one like that. What is fighting for justice when you have already lost them, when everything is over?? I MIGHT be more concerned and depressed about the loss of my family than fight for justice. Remember, this is just "might" .  Just by putting the murderer behind the bars wouldn't bring my family back.
But, I can't really tell anything now because I really cannot predict anything about my emotions. My emotions monitor my actions in situations like these. Three years ago, I cried when someone said something bad about my dad, last year, I slapped a lady for insulting my mom infront of me and my dad.. so, I really wouldn't know what I'd do.

Did I go off-topic? LOL Alright, I would testify, Dia.. but ONLY if my loved ones aren't in jeopardy. I wouldn't care if something happened to me. But not my parents! and I'm sure they wouldn't want me dead so soon because I'm their only child and I wanna live too, live until I'm 70, die naturally in a warm bed.. But I think I'd be soo full with guilty and blab everything out.. Even if I do not feel guilty, I think it is soooo not fair for Jessica Lal's parents and Jessica and I'd come out with the truth and see some justice happening there.  

My thoughts are totally against one another, I would better stick with my loved ones because, they're my priority. If I lose my loved ones, what am I left with, just their memories, me and a sigh of relief for putting the murderer behind the bars? MY WORLD come to an end after that. At the same time, I would not be able to stay calm watching a crime and act like nothing ever happend.

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 07 January 2011 at 6:17am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Shaily.

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Ram Jethmalani is definitely opportunist seeking such high profile cases. However, from a strictly legal and judicial viewpoint I actually do admire his legal perspective.

In a democracy and a fully functional democratic legal system everyone has rights. The victim and their family have rights, but so do the defendants. That is because innocent until proven guilty. The common man can easily be the victim as well as defendant in circumstance. The common man needs rights in both instances. Right to a full and fair trial is a legal right which every defendant has irrespective of crime, innocence or guilt. It is a lawyers duty to step up to the plate and fulfill their legal obligation and uphold rights.

Law & Order in India can be brutal on victims as well as defendants. Miranda rights are globally accepted legal rights. Indian officials do not Mirandize on arrests and most people are not aware of their Miranda rights. Indian cops are indeed known to torture, beat up confessions or frame people just to shut a case. Indian people also are not aware of their rights against illegal searches, searches without probable cause and search without warrant. There honestly is no such thing as open shut case or indefnsible client.

The media has a duty to only report, not serve justice or influence justice. Let me first say that I admire what the media did in this case. I admire how media tried to ensure that Jessica and her family got justice. I truly appreciate how the media moved people to take a stand, speak up, go against the corruption and power play that plagues the system. However, I have to admit all this is beyond the ethical and acceptable scope of media. Media is influencing people what and how to think which is wrong. Today it is good because the ends justified the means. Justice was served. But it is still a dangerous precedent. Media can be quite destructive too. There have been several people wrongly convicted due to media buzz against them. In countries where there are jury trials entire juries can be swayed by media. People who committed petty crimes or made a few mistakes are portrayed as hardened criminals and their lives are ruined. Media can literally decide the political, social course of a country. Not everyone is educated enough to temper media influence with rational objectivity.

Finally even though justice was served, a supreme court made a ruling on circumstantial evidence - bullet casings. It is extremely rare to pass a ruling on one piece of circumstantial evidence. There is also the question of admissibility. Rulings on circumstantial evidence only is risky. A real triumph would have been if eye witnesses came forward and gave their true testimonials.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

cricketfan1U-No-Poo

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged
@RTH - but isn't there a rule restricting the jury from watching news on television or reading anything pertaining to the case in the countries where this system is followed? 
Savia Groupbie
Savia
Savia

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
@CZ -  True there is for juries, but it gets quite difficult in high profile casse. ConfusedLike the the michael jackson trial, etc. and this one.
But India does not have a jury system, so that is not a concern here.

I think India fears a jury system because of a case like this- fear that something might happen to the jury memebrs or they will be bribed . They would need to provide all the jurors security. Its easier to provide just a judge with security, although when I was in India, my grandparents lived close to Judge SriKrishna and it was crazy how much security he had to have for being in charge of the Bombay Riots Inquiry Committee.

Honestly witnesses dont testify out of fear...makes  sense, is not right ! Aut a lot of these people were influencial themselves and social lites and they could have said soemthing, gotten protection-but did not I think out of greed , which is what makes me worried about this situation and in general law in India
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by CZ..

@RTH - but isn't there a rule restricting the jury from watching news on television or reading anything pertaining to the case in the countries where this system is followed? 
jury jury ka laga rakha hai... ja ke halwa puri khao.. its india jiski laathi uska judge.. and thats it...LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

U-No-Poo

Go to top