India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

No One Killed Jessica? (Page 4)

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged
I would have testified because I speak before I think on what the consequences might be.

For one, my dad is a lawyer and I have heard him tell me accounts of stories on why he avoids criminal cases. One of his lawyer friends was hacked(he survived) for taking up a certain case even after "warnings". Nobody could help him even though he was a lawyer and even though he had explained his status to the police earlier.

Thinking about the Jessica case, one of the guys who dramatically withdrew his statement was Shayan Munshi. Jessica Lall murder case is different from all other cases because of the media attention that was involved here. with 24/7 stalking by the media, we could very well say that some of the "witnesses" could have received complete protection if requested.

At the end of the day, I would have testified if I was assured my family's safety was assured. I cannot endure a guilty conscience.

Edited by bandicoot - 06 January 2011 at 2:13pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
Hopefully the movie fires people up and inspires witnesses to come up with the truth. It seems like a very well made film.
tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

Hopefully the movie fires people up and inspires witnesses to come up with the truth. It seems like a very well made film.

I really hope this happens, but it is hard.

Shaily.

-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged
Awesome topic! :D 

I think I would try my hardest to get that murderer behind bars because he killed her for no reason and he needs a punishment. 

Can't wait to see the movie looks really interesting 
Shaily. Goldie
Shaily.
Shaily.

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged
well... thats a thinker.  Family is always a first in india and i think mostly everywhere else so harming the family is a number one blackmail way..  Hmm would i testify if my family would be in danger.. no.  now as blunt and crude that sounds, its true for most of us.  Although in fact if something like this big happened then its gonna effect my life whether i am a part of it or not... I would at least try to see if i can do anything besides testifying to bring the killer out, cuz we all don't need a killer on the loose not do we?

Edited by dancexlovexlive - 06 January 2011 at 3:47pm
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged

I'll have to admit my first reaction when I hear about cases is make a snap judgment on people for not standing up. How can anyone witness murder/rape or such crimes in broad daylight in a crowd and still not testify. However, when I put it in perspective, I do realize that it is not that simple. There is a lot of crime and corruption in India. Witness protection is almost non-existent and even top level cops are sometimes bought or threatened. Moreover it is not self harm, but the fear of harm to loved ones that worries people most. Personally, I would testify because I cannot live with that guilt, but I truly empathize with people who face the genuine dilemma between their consciousness and loved ones.

What bothers me most about a case like Jessica is that this was a point blank murder in front of 300 people. I have a hard time digesting the fact that so many people can be threatened or bought over that easily. If it was a smaller crowd of twenty-thirty lesser people on the streets, such fear is understandable. However, here we have over a hundred people, many rich and influential themselves. It is hard to digest none of them had backbone or conviction.

Neetz is right when she points out that the purpose of goons and corrupt officials is to spread fear. Sometimes the little guys have to speak up. Ultimately, how many people can be harmed, one, two, three, ten, twenty, maybe even hundred – but harming three hundred people and all their loved ones? That's a tall order for the biggest criminals.

It is refreshing to see so many people think about speaking up and standing for what is right though. Even if it is just hypothetical and some of us may succumb to fear eventually, it is always a positive sign when people are at least thinking in terms of what is right. I know that ten, twenty years ago this was not the case and more people lived in fear. Years ago the right thing was the last thing on peoples mind as safety and welfare to precedence. Our country may face corruption, our media may go over the top but on the whole in the long run the media has definitely brought issues like this to the forefront and given more people the courage to take a stand and the resources to secure their stances. I'm glad films like No one Killed Jessica are being made these days. Not only are they different from the usual, but as Xo says they inspire people, create a buzz and set fire. Out of a billion plus people at least a dozen will be inspired to do the right thing, even if to the point of foolishness.

One thing I love about the states is the heightened sense of law and order. Of course there is cover up and abuse here too. However, citizens tend to be more vigilante, more empowered and determined to take on any system. Witness protection, judicial procedure is much better here. Hardly anyone, whether the kid of a big senator or a mob boss would dream of shooting someone point blank and then getting away with it. This was not always the case. If you study American history, till almost the post depression era mobs were very powerful and in areas like Chicago and New York, mobs had an iron grip of fear on people. During the civil rights movements people were literally beaten up and abused by cops and high ranking officials. It's just that there is always a tipping point in history when people say enough is enough and take a stand. I'm sure as the common man has more resources at their hand like media and now tools like social media etc, even in India the face of law and order will change.

For some reason this case always reminds me of the song Ohio by CSNY in commemoration of the Kent state victims. Lyrics that ring out

"What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground, How can you run when know?"

When you look in history and read about things like Kent State or Tiananmen square, its heartbreaking, but the thing is that someday, somehow, someone will take the stand for the right thing.  

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfxobileAngel-likeDevilU-No-Poo-x-Reshu-x-

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged
I think when we're talking specifically about India, then yes, testifying against someone who is extremely powerful in court is equivalent to willingly offering yourself to become a suicide bomber. like RTH said, there is no witness protection and more often than not the proceedings are merely a formality while the outcome is pre-decided. 

it's all about the power game; one that is dirty, ruthless and knows no bounds. 

in such a scenario, if a single person decides to screw this well planned choreography, then he/she would naturally be at risk, and so would the family members. from bribe offers to threats, everything would be done to shut the witness up. any normal person would give it up at some point.

but despite all of this, I'd still want to testify in court simply because I know that such powerful people are hardly ever as strong as their threats. they take their power for granted and feel it's enough to intimidate a person but beyond that, it's all sand and dust. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil-x-Reshu-x-

*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:17pm | IP Logged
Dia,

I think the best part of the trailer is when that one witness says that he has a choice between a ton of money and a bullet. He doesn't want the money, but he also doesn't want the bullet. What's he to do? I think all of us here place our loved ones as our first priority - to imagine that any of our actions would put them in danger or harm them in any way is unbearable. Such politicians do take that very fear and convert it into power and thrive upon it, but at the end of the day, Jessica is dead. Sacrificing another loved one for her won't bring her back. As cold-hearted as that sounds, I am just being honest. I would love to fight for justice and to put such murderers behind bars, but the truth is that at a certain point you do have to stop and think about all of those around you that would be in danger because of your actions. What will you do if something happens to them? Expect others to demand the same justice for your loved one like you did for someone else's? Where does the cycle end then?

I am really excited for the movie, and I think it does raise a very valid point about our morality. But I also think that it shows us that the supposed indifference that many people hold in these situations is not a sign of cowardice or immorality, but a very fine example of how politicians do thrive upon fear found in the public. Its not that a lot of us don't have noble intentions and actually want to help others, but sometimes we do have to put the safety of our loved ones before anything else. If their safety wasn't at stake, I'd be the first one to testify against a brutal murderer like Jessica's.

Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 06 January 2011 at 5:19pm

hindu4lyf

Go to top