Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

does marriage of an actress change your outlook? (Page 6)

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by eraser

Great topic CZ Clap

(i) does your outlook towards an actress change after her marriage? if so, why?
Nope not at all, what does marriage have to do with one's acting?

(ii) do you feel that marriage unknowingly creates a barrier between the audience and the actress because as per the indian values, she's not longer available?
Bollywood is a sexist and a hypocritical industry with a very harsh and objectifying attitude towards women, and the society in general is no different so yes, unfortunately, marriage does create a barrier in bollywood and so does age. We all know how people start calling women in their 30s "aunties and mommys". It's sad but its the truth. Dead

(iii) does marriage limit the kind of roles an actress can do?
I dont see the connection between marriage and the roles you do BUT since bollywood are so sexist, yes it does and unfortunately, marriage has NO effect on men's roles. HYPOCRISY Dead

(iv) what are the different kinds of images that a married actress has to subconsciously live up to?
Has to maintain the "clean" and "modest" image. Dead

(v) how do you think the situation is different from that of hollywood?
Cant even compare the two. You see married women with 3 kids working in the best movies with such brilliant roles that gain both critics and audience's appreciation along with a million awards. Nothing changes for them after marriage. Theres a long list of women who were married with kids and still succeeded more than the un-married ones for example, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie (not technically married but has like 6 children and still does more action in her movies than all of our bollywood actors combined), Helen Mirren, Julia Roberts, Tilds Swinton etc etc etc the list never ends. 

God know when things will change in bollywood Dead

thanks for the reply eraser, I can see that you're quite repulsed at the state of affairs in Bwood and I completely concur with that feeling --> Dead

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

koolchick

sheee IF-Sizzlerz
sheee
sheee

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged
Don't know marriage change our outlook towards an actress, or an actress gets married when our outlook change towards her.

Edited by sheee - 06 January 2011 at 3:07pm
MissIffiy IF-Rockerz
MissIffiy
MissIffiy

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged
which actresses are married other than Aish Kajol & Karishma all dont really care if they are married or not just perform on screen 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sheee

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatpati900

Nope. As long as the actress doesn't keep harping on about how she's a traditional married woman now and will never ever touch a kissing scene with an 11-foot pole (*gasp*), I don't care at all. In fact, it would be refreshing to see an actress to continue doing the same kind of roles she did before. I think Ash is doing a semi-good job at this (I say semi because her Bachchan Bahu attitude is pretty irritating at times).

unfortunately that's what most of them do LOL others just go MIA from the scene LOL

well, I think ash too is maintaining her distance from intimate scenes with any actor other than her husband. remember the dhoom 2 controversy?
MissIffiy IF-Rockerz
MissIffiy
MissIffiy

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged
I think more than the audience its the producers/Dir that change their outlook on the actresses they are afraid the married actresses will not give them the dates they need or they will not promote the film as effective as they will put their family first. so they save their trouble & take it to an actress that doesn't have that restriction 
Rekha_ji IF-Dazzler
Rekha_ji
Rekha_ji

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by CZ..

Originally posted by Star_No_1

I think it's got more to do with age rather than marriage.

I'm sure if ANushka, Deepika, Sonam, Katrina all get married in the next 12months, it would not affect their careers. But the reason why actresses seem to have "changed" after marriage is usually because they have aged, and Bollywood does not treat them well, once they hit 33. rani is 32 and she's abusing like a firecracker in NOKJ. vidya has crossed the '30' mark too. kareena is 30. does that stop them from taking up challenging, or let's say, limitless characters that demand 0 constraints?

But to answer the first post about seeing Kajol and Aish doing their pre-marriage dance numbers such as "Mere Khwabon Mein"(1995) or "Krazy Kiya Re" (2006),

Let me remind you of "Des Rangeela" (Kajol, Fanaa, 2006) and "Zor Ka Jhatka" (Aishwarya, Action Replayy, 2010)

I don't remember kajol wearing a mini skirt and a sexy blouse and dancing in the rain in 'des rangeela'? plus it's a patriotic song that is played on 26th jan and 15th august. doesn't compare to mere khwabon mein at all. 'zor ka jhatka' was not designed to capture ash's sensuality, unlike krazy kiya re. in fact it was this fun number that had an ensemble cast goofing around in funny outfits.

Thanks for making your points.

The very fact that Rani's vulgar language is a "controversy" proves my point that the audience generally want to see their film heroines all prim and proper.

The fact that Rani, Kareena and others have just turned 30 doesn't prove me wrong, because I gave the age of 33+... which time will tell what kind of roles they get.

The reason why Kajol is not doing a "Mere Khwabon Mein" like she did at age 19, now has less to do with the fact that she is married, but more to do with the fact that she is going to hit 36 this year. We don'e expect it, and we certainly don't require it.

The Aishwarya comparison remains strong, the styles are very similar. The outfits are inter-changeable, whether the atmosphere of the song is the same or not. And if you want to talk about capturing her sexuality, then see "Chhan Ke Mohalla" from the same film, or even "Udi" from 'Guzaarish'.
Rekha_ji IF-Dazzler
Rekha_ji
Rekha_ji

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by eraser

(v) how do you think the situation is different from that of hollywood?
Cant even compare the two. You see married women with 3 kids working in the best movies with such brilliant roles that gain both critics and audience's appreciation along with a million awards. Nothing changes for them after marriage. Theres a long list of women who were married with kids and still succeeded more than the un-married ones for example, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie (not technically married but has like 6 children and still does more action in her movies than all of our bollywood actors combined), Helen Mirren, Julia Roberts, Tilds Swinton etc etc etc the list never ends. 

God know when things will change in bollywood Dead

Kajol is married with kids. She's still rocking the best roles in the industry: from 'Fanaa' to 'My Name Is Khan' and 'We Are Family' as well as 'U, Me Aur Hum'.

Aishwarya too is married - she's been more successful post 2007 than she was in the 5 or so years before her marriage. And although her films didn't do well, they were big big films of 2010. Roles that the singletons such as Deepika, Sonam, Katrina would love to have on their filmography by acclaimed filmmakers - and they are all 10 years younger than Aish.

Same can be said for actresses in the past who were as successful after marriage, if not more. Leading ladies such as Hema Malini, Dimple Kapadia, Sharmila Tagore.

On the other hand, there are single actresses who were at the top but just fell off the radar: Preity Zinta, Sushmita Sen, Rani Mukerji (until very recently), Manish Koirala, Mahima Chaudhry.

And of course there are those who choose to be housewives after marriage: Karisma Kapoor, Raveena Tandon, Sonali Bendre.

Go to top