Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

does marriage of an actress change your outlook? (Page 4)

lalixlily IF-Rockerz

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

LEO88NuktaacheenShadowKissessakura_koolchick-Sakina-

Rekha_ji IF-Dazzler
Rekha_ji
Rekha_ji

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged
I think it's got more to do with age rather than marriage.

I'm sure if Anushka, Deepika, Sonam, Katrina all get married in the next 12months, it would not affect their careers. But the reason why actresses seem to have "changed" after marriage is usually because they have aged, and Bollywood does not treat them well, once they hit 33.

But to answer the first post about seeing Kajol and Aish doing their pre-marriage dance numbers such as "Mere Khwabon Mein"(1995) or "Krazy Kiya Re" (2006),

Let me remind you of "Des Rangeela" (Kajol, Fanaa, 2006) and "Zor Ka Jhatka" (Aishwarya, Action Replayy, 2010)

Edited by Star_No_1 - 06 January 2011 at 10:50am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Nuktaacheen

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by CZ..

Originally posted by Nuktaacheen

^^  not too much in such simple words, but in essence...!  Wink

audience wants to see a good movie... they don't care whether the actress is involved with another, or is a virgin lotus flower (credit for the words: pragya...) or is married...!!  

of course, you want someone who is suited for the role... if jaya starts dancing around the trees with srk, it would look odd, wouldn't it....  (i'm just using an example)...!   TongueTongue

but don't you think any individual's decision is affected by the social structure they live in? for example, if X lives in a society where wearing anything other than Indian clothes after marriage is considered as disrespect, then she would consciously decide not to wear something that would lead to lots of eyebrows being raised. however on the flip side, if she lives in a society that is more liberal, then she probably won't fret over her clothes so much. 

like koolchik said, malaika arora khan took a conscious decision not change herself after marriage. that decision certainly calls for a pat on the back but if you bring this up amidst a group of aunties someday, the only response that you'll get is - shaadi ke baad bhi aise kapde pehenti hai. sharam nahi aati kya? pati aur bacche kya sochenge?

of course, that may not be everyone's outlook but her decision certainly hasn't been digested by one and all. she has been judged more than once and still continues to be. doesn't that say anything about the social mentality?

the audience definitely want to see a good film, but if that good film has a married actress donning a bikini and running on the beach then it would ignite more than just a fire. being a nation where controversies arise out of thin air, I think that wouldn't go down well at all. 

but you said it yourself...!   Tongue   it is her own decision at the end of the day, no matter how you look at it... if you care more about what people are going to think about you thus behave in a certain manner, onus is on yourself...!   Wink  

however, i find it a moot point... considering we don't have a single example of anyone whose career took a turn AFTER their marriage... TongueTongueTongue   your point would be idealistically valid, if we had such examples... everyone got married after their career took a downhill turn... ye hota, wo hota, are just speculations... hence, realistically i don't see the validity of such statements...!!   Wink  

and a lot of actresses never cared about wearing a bikini after their marriage... sharmila tagore...  her marriage did not change anything for her, so really she took the decision herself... she had a great career before and after... she did not get married when offers stopped coming for her, and her career went downhill...!   Tongue

as i said, the general audience does not really care about the status of the celebrity... sure, there might be some die hard fans and such who might get 'effected' (speculation), but in general i don't see that being the case for as you said, the indian audience...!! 
Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1532238

found the topic... Wink   pages 1 and 2, we had some good discussion.... Big smile   the discussion though, was triggered because of bebo's quote, so wasn't exactly the same topic... Smile
sakura_ IF-Dazzler
sakura_
sakura_

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged

i want to but i don't really agree... yes, they keep pushing off their marriages, because they themselves put the barriers naa... because maybe their husbands would not want their wives to be hmmmm, 'cosy' with the other actors, or maybe because their in-laws would mind, etc... there are other factors, not necessarily to do with the society at large...!

has any of them done things the same way before and after marriage...?  kajol's example is the same... marriage itself, i don't think changed anything for her... but she made the call to work only in her own comfort zone...!   i think in most cases, taking a break does not work for them too well... because they stop experimenting... and in that time, there are many others to take their place...!  

so really, i would not blame the indian audience in general....!!  
I agree they create barrier themselves. Their hubby may not like wives merry making with others. In Hollywood, it's safe...u have a rift, you divorce and move on to someone else or sway solo. But in our culture, divorce is considered a taboo. And it's safer for an actress to hold on to her family as well than to be single and try to rejuvenate her almost tanking career.

Also, it's Bollywood and what it demands-- young, good looking actresses who are merely there as eye candies, devoid of pivotal roles (arguably). Once you start to age and look old, there's no room for you to play a female lead any longer in Bollywood. Ironically, this doesn't apply to the male leads. We have 40+ actor romancing 20+ actresses and actresses to tend to age faster nai?? :| :|  at least lookwise. Bollywood doesn't normally make movies like 'Queen' or 'Erin Brockovich' or 'Julie & Julia'-- more character driven roles/movies. I guess they don't want to because they don't fare well at the box office.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Nuktaacheenkoolchick

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sakura_

i want to but i don't really agree... yes, they keep pushing off their marriages, because they themselves put the barriers naa... because maybe their husbands would not want their wives to be hmmmm, 'cosy' with the other actors, or maybe because their in-laws would mind, etc... there are other factors, not necessarily to do with the society at large...!

has any of them done things the same way before and after marriage...?  kajol's example is the same... marriage itself, i don't think changed anything for her... but she made the call to work only in her own comfort zone...!   i think in most cases, taking a break does not work for them too well... because they stop experimenting... and in that time, there are many others to take their place...!  

so really, i would not blame the indian audience in general....!!  
I agree they create barrier themselves. Their hubby may not like wives merry making with others. In Hollywood, it's safe...u have a rift, you divorce and move on to someone else or sway solo. But in our culture, divorce is considered a taboo. And it's safer for an actress to hold on to her family as well than to be single and try to rejuvenate her almost tanking career.

Also, it's Bollywood and what it demands-- young, good looking actresses who are merely there as eye candies, devoid of pivotal roles (arguably). Once you start to age and look old, there's no room for you to play a female lead any longer in Bollywood. Ironically, this doesn't apply to the male leads. We have 40+ actor romancing 20+ actresses and actresses to tend to age faster nai?? :| :|  at least lookwise. Bollywood doesn't normally make movies like 'Queen' or 'Erin Brockovich' or 'Julie & Julia'-- more character driven roles/movies. I guess they don't want to because they don't fare well at the box office.

if the actress looks only a bit older, generally it does not matter... c'mon... raakhee did so many movies with amitabh bachan, and rishi, even when she was quite old... but they at least suited... and that's why i used an example of recent times too, kismat konnection... the movie has to be well made as well naa... a lot of movies of madhuri flopped where she was opposite actors who are younger, but some of them worked too.. it depends, on the movie itself too... mind you, most of the flop movies were pretty crappy... i'm her fan and i did not really like them all that much... so i see why they failed...!   the point is, all the 40+ actors, have maintained themselves well... if they become a beach ball, and stop using botox or hair transplants, etc., would they suit their actresses...?  no... would their movies work in that case... i highly doubt it...

lol... they should find out before marriage naa, ke whether their families would be okay with it... look at sharmila tagore, or look at malaika... their hubbies clearly don't mind... i doubt ajay would mind either... but kajol chooses to be selective and work with only her friends because they accomodate her schedule... she wants to spend more time with her family and her kids... why would most of the other directors be so accomodating...?  their money is on the line... so you gotta consider both perspectives...

i mean, it would be great if things were as we want them to be... but real world does not work like that...!   in hollywood too, they couples usually suit each other, of the script is so that it shows the actresses being older than the actor (if the actor is younger)... so really, i don't see too much of a difference... except of course, their own decision (due to whatever restraints)... but i would hardly blame the general audience... it's not their conservative nature that's stopping the actresses from continuing their careers... and more importantly, how many actresses have had their careers effected because of their marriage...??  Confused   as someone mentioned, it's more to do with age as well...!   

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sakura_koolchick

sakura_ IF-Dazzler
sakura_
sakura_

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged

if the actress looks only a bit older, generally it does not matter... c'mon... raakhee did so many movies with amitabh bachan, and rishi, even when she was quite old... but they at least suited... and that's why i used an example of recent times too, kismat konnection... the movie has to be well made as well naa... a lot of movies of madhuri flopped where she was opposite actors who are younger, but some of them worked too.. it depends, on the movie itself too... mind you, most of the flop movies were pretty crappy... i'm her fan and i did not really like them all that much... so i see why they failed...!   the point is, all the 40+ actors, have maintained themselves well... if they become a beach ball, and stop using botox or hair transplants, etc., would they suit their actresses...?  no... would their movies work in that case... i highly doubt it...

True that...it depends upon the movie as well Embarrassed ...but personally, I dont like 90% of the current Bollywood movies I watch :| :|  Irrespective of their box office results. Most are crappy (for me at least) still I watch them. Tongue  The movies which rule the box office aint necessarily good movies either. Yes, Mads movies flopped but the movies she signed...let's say Aja Nachle...maybe the script wasnt strong enough but movies like KANK, Hero No 1, Biwi No 1, Namaste London (I'm being random here) are hits. Their script aint that good either. So while signing the movie, u're not sure if it's gonna be a hit or not. If most crappy movies fail, a lot of crappiest movies have ruled the box office as well.

Errr...I think I meant to reach Japan but I reached Australia EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Nuktaacheen

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:44am | IP Logged

but you said it yourself...!   Tongue   it is her own decision at the end of the day, no matter how you look at it... if you care more about what people are going to think about you thus behave in a certain manner, onus is on yourself...!   Wink  

however, i find it a moot point... considering we don't have a single example of anyone whose career took a turn AFTER their marriage... TongueTongueTongue   your point would be idealistically valid, if we had such examples... everyone got married after their career took a downhill turn... ye hota, wo hota, are just speculations... hence, realistically i don't see the validity of such statements...!!   Wink  

and a lot of actresses never cared about wearing a bikini after their marriage... sharmila tagore...  her marriage did not change anything for her, so really she took the decision herself... she had a great career before and after... she did not get married when offers stopped coming for her, and her career went downhill...!   Tongue

as i said, the general audience does not really care about the status of the celebrity... sure, there might be some die hard fans and such who might get 'effected' (speculation), but in general i don't see that being the case for as you said, the indian audience...!! 

that's what I'm trying to say - the society does come into play. it's not like the actresses's decision isn't affected by another factor other than her own sensibilities. It has a huge impact on the choice they make. they may choose to oppose the general standpoint of the society but that's a struggle of it's own. it's not easy to take a stand knowing that it might result in consequences. 

well for women who waited for their career to bite the dust and then got married, probably believe that marriage is actually the end of it all. that once you're done with your flight and come to a dead end, security becomes the top most priority and what other institution other than marriage can provide security for life?

wearing a bikini is not a benchmark to judge the working niche of an actress. I used that example to point out the difference between the pre and post marriage working styles. kajol has been taking up the same kind of roles that require heavy melodrama and ash has been treading very carefully whilst checking that she doesn't step out of her boundary. my question still stays - why the U-turn after marriage? why should a woman subconsciously decide to sacrifice a certain kind of image just because she's married?

Nuktaacheen

Go to top