Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

does marriage of an actress change your outlook?

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:59am | IP Logged
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but oh well. 

does marriage change your outlook towards an actress? like it has already been said quite a few times, our industry continues to remain afloat on male domination, and there is only so much an actress can achieve before barriers and constraints limit her steps. one of the biggest barriers is marriage. not everyone can be as lucky as aishwarya and kajol who are cushioned by personal and professional support from all the sides. 

she transforms from a sex bomb into this docile, traditional Indian woman over a period of one day. do you think that our actresses subconsciously feel the need to uphold the image of the ideal bhartiya naari in our society? I'm quite sure that neither kajol or aishwarya will attempt a mere khwabon mein jo aaye or krazy kiya re ever again. 'the' marriage proves to be such a colossal turning point in their lives that it automatically defines the realms that are still accessible and sifts out the inaccessible ones. 

basically, these are the few questions that I have - 

(i) does your outlook towards an actress change after her marriage? if so, why?

(ii) do you feel that marriage unknowingly creates a barrier between the audience and the actress because as per the indian values, she's not longer available?

(iii) does marriage limit the kind of roles an actress can do?

(iv) what are the different kinds of images that a married actress has to subconsciously live up to?

(v) how do you think the situation is different from that of hollywood?

looking forward to some good answers Smile

Edited by CZ.. - 06 January 2011 at 6:04am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

sakura_Nuktaacheen-Mmmmm-eraserTerenaina

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 6:20am | IP Logged
oh-kay. no comments?
Terenaina IF-Stunnerz
Terenaina
Terenaina

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 6:53am | IP Logged
It depends on if they changed their image after marriage. I know karisma and kajol's marriage don't effect me at all. I still look at him the same way although I think karisma just gets better with time. She looked so amazing seeing her on tv with ad commericals

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

glittersamz1990

amz1990 IF-Sizzlerz
amz1990
amz1990

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged

Well on a personal level my outlook wouldnt change towards them because its not as if they changed their face or there acting skills have faded with a different surname added to their name.

I really like how hard Aishwarya has been working even after marriage. And I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she is a Bachan (I've heard it to many times that its because of the fact she is Bachan she gets all the movie deals). There are boundaries for married actresses but at times I wish the industry would to take on the westernised view of Hollywood. I mean there is so many actresses still working in films after marriage in Hollywood so why not in Bollywood.

I think a limitation for an actress could be that they do not like to show as much as skin as they did before they got married.

Agree with Terenaina, Karishma just looks stunning nowEmbarrassed

Edited by amz1990 - 06 January 2011 at 6:55am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Nuktaacheen-Mmmmm-Terenaina

Terenaina IF-Stunnerz
Terenaina
Terenaina

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged
amz - me too don't agree with aish gets movies because she's part of abhi's family. I think they should realize that aish was worldwide famous and got tons of offers even before she entered this family. Abhi married the most successful heroin

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sakura_Nuktaacheen

mj_applehead Goldie
mj_applehead
mj_applehead

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:09am | IP Logged
no it doesn't....i dont know why it should either.they are the same people with the same talent even after marriage.aren't they?

Edited by mj_applehead - 06 January 2011 at 7:10am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

sakura_glittersNuktaacheenamz1990

amz1990 IF-Sizzlerz
amz1990
amz1990

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Terenaina

amz - me too don't agree with aish gets movies because she's part of abhi's family. I think they should realize that aish was worldwide famous and got tons of offers even before she entered this family. Abhi married the most successful heroin

I know I believe Abishek Bachan is the one who got lucky by marrying her. She has really proved that women have the potential to be as good as men Clap. Everyone bangs on about her getting pregnant now as if they are their personal baby plannersConfused.

Btw love your Dan and Serena signature Embarrassed

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Nuktaacheen

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by CZ..

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but oh well. 

does marriage change your outlook towards an actress? like it has already been said quite a few times, our industry continues to remain afloat on male domination, and there is only so much an actress can achieve before barriers and constraints limit her steps. one of the biggest barriers is marriage. not everyone can be as lucky as aishwarya and kajol who are cushioned by personal and professional support from all the sides. 

she transforms from a sex bomb into this docile, traditional Indian woman over a period of one day. do you think that our actresses subconsciously feel the need to uphold the image of the ideal bhartiya naari in our society? I'm quite sure that neither kajol or aishwarya will attempt a mere khwabon mein jo aaye or krazy kiya re ever again. 'the' marriage proves to be such a colossal turning point in their lives that it automatically defines the realms that are still accessible and sifts out the inaccessible ones. 

basically, these are the few questions that I have - 

(i) does your outlook towards an actress change after her marriage? if so, why?

(ii) do you feel that marriage unknowingly creates a barrier between the audience and the actress because as per the indian values, she's not longer available?

(iii) does marriage limit the kind of roles an actress can do?

(iv) what are the different kinds of images that a married actress has to subconsciously live up to?

(v) how do you think the situation is different from that of hollywood?

looking forward to some good answers Smile

i like your topic, considering, ahem, recent ummm, developments...!   WinkLOLLOL

on to the post...!

let's see... no, i don't think it changes anyone's outlook to be honest... to be honest, how many actresses marry at the prime of their career...??   kajol did... and ash did... but other than that, who did...?   let's analyze, shall we... Wink

madhuri... she is my absolute favourite, but let's face it... when she got married, there were a bunch of new starlets who were also decent actresses (at least, as per the common janta consensus... individual opinions may vary...TongueTongue)... and most of her movies weren't exactly doing that well... she had started to look 'older' than many of the male actors, and there were only a few that she made a good jodi with... and considering the craze about chemistry blah blah and blah, it was not surprising that she did not get good offers... (that's my guess, and i am quite sure i'm right but who knows, eh... Wink)....

manisha koirala... she was touted to be the one who would take over madhuri... but her own attitude ruined her own career... there were rumours about her drug problems and drinking as well... again, not surprising that she went downhill...!

who else... juhi... same with her... she got married when she was no longer getting good offers... so really, it's not as if the situation changed because of their marriage...!   i know it's the general concept, but i don't really agree completely... it probably causes some hinderance, but if the actresses continue to do good work, i don't think things change too much... kajol married at her prime... she was getting good movies, and to this date, she continues to be choosy, by her own choice... and the general audience has not rejected her... and it helps that she does not look too old, so the younger generation can still get their 'chemistry' dose, or whatever that means... i've always found the concept of chemistry to be extremely overrated...!   TongueTongue  because i remember when kismat konnection came out, i absolutely adored vidya with shahid, and i liked the movie... it was fun and light hearted... but of course, there was a whole hullaballo about how vidya looked like an 'aunty', blah blah and blah... but then when dil bole hadippa came out, people were raving about their 'chemistry'... needless to say, the movie flopped because... let's face it, it wasn't the best piece of work...!   and it failed at the box office... while kismat konnection had worked... so to me, it seems that the whole concept of chemistry etc. is mostly amongst the fans and the younger generation (no offense to them) perhaps... however, in general, the audience just want to see a good movie... that's it... and as long as the lead pair are reasonably suited, nobody makes too much of a fuss about it....!!

most actresses limit themselves after marriage, because they wouldn't do certain things... and if it's something that the director/producer (and in some cases, actors) insisit upon, then of course, they would go for someone else...

to me, the situation is not too different from hollywood, as far as the audience is concerned... but it has more to do with the actresses's decision themselves...!

phew... i hope it was a good answer.... Wink   i think there was a debate like that in one of the earlier topics... i remember writing 'theses' for it... LOLLOLLOL  me and sweet coco were debating on it... but i don't remember what the topic actually was about... i do have a tendency to go off topic, or so i have been told...!  WinkTongueLOLLOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sakura_-Mmmmm-amz1990

Go to top