India-Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars
Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

Modern Contemporary?

-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
So looks like a couple of performances this week were modern contemporary. Like Ankita, Sushant, and Yaana. But the thing is that Ankita's performance was more of modern and Sushant and Yaana's performances were more contemporary.
My contemporary teacher told me that modern and contemporary are remotely different and shouldn't be called the same thing. I asked him about this and he says no such thing as modern contemporary exists.

What do you guys think?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shams295

Curlylocks IF-Stunnerz
Curlylocks
Curlylocks

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged
my knowledge in dance techniques is zero i'l leave it to experts like u guys.....

but i'v heard so much abt dis technique and doesn't shimak & terrance who are like masters of contemporary use these words together??!
-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged
I've never heard Terence use those words together same with Shiamak but when Remo used it, I got confused.
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Modern contemporary is a style reference used in design aesthetics. You hear it a lot on HGTV when they talk about design. Its a fusion of contemporary arts and modern arts in creating design.

This is the first time even I am hearing about it related to dance. Modern dance is the free flowing dance form that evolved in the early part of last century. Modern dance further evolved to postmodern and contemporary. Postmodern is grounded postmodern thought and philosophy, while contemporary incorporated other performance cultures like ballet and theater.

So while modern contemporary may not be commonly used it is a very possible and legitimate fusion or evolution outcome.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

blytondesicrowdnikitagmc-Aaliyah-Tani91Curlylocks

Dabulls23 IF-Stunnerz
Dabulls23
Dabulls23

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
Here is what I found abt Contemporary and Modern dancing...

Contemporary Dance: is an art whose working material is human body movement. It doesnt have fixed or established movement patterns but it's rather in a continuous search for new forms and dynamics. Therefore its dancers make use of varied modern and classical dance techniques to train. It produces performances or shows in conventional and non conventional stages (such as theaters or public and private places), having a frequent dialogue with other aesthetic languages such as audiovisual technologies, visual or fine arts, lightning, architecture, music, circus and others.

What is contemporary dance? Here's another answer?:

Modern Dance: modern dance could be considered as a synonym of contemporary dance as in some cases they share aesthetical or ideological characteristics. Though, this is a dance term commonly used to name a dance trend that was born in the late XIX century and lasted till around the 1950s. Its homes were Germany (and surrounding countries) and the United States. Some of its most renowned figures are Isadora Duncan, Rudolph Laban, Mary Wigman and Martha Graham (see our modern dance history page to expand).

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

blytonreturn_to_hadesdesicrowd-Aaliyah-Curlylocks

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index