India-Forums

Dil Se Diya Vachan
Dil Se Diya Vachan

Writer's portraying rape correctly?

sUgA -N- sPiCe Goldie
sUgA -N- sPiCe
sUgA -N- sPiCe

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged
So I have been watching a show, it's called Private Practice (maybe some of you have heard of it; it's the spin off of Grey's Anatomy) and a female character has been raped in that show. In it she says (please, it's a bit "graphic" and adult, reader beware):

You ever been violated? Anybody rape you lately? Let me tell you what its like. You know those made for TV movies where some woman's crouched down naked in a shower holding her knees and sobbing because when she closes her eyes she can still feel the guys hands on her? How when they show the attack the woman's eyes go all blank and still and she goes to some other place in her mind just to deal with the horror of what's happening to her while some Lillith Fair song plays. It is nothing like that. He's sturdy and sweaty and he licks your face and wipes himself off in your hair and when you try to scream he punches you so hard you see God. And then he goes at you again reaping stuff you didn't even know you had because he enjoyed it so much the first time. 

I understand this is an Indian drama and they can't be that realistic but they're being too "tv movieish"; crouching down in the shower, so cliche. I think they need to be real, the trauma is more than "he took away my virginity." It's he violated me, he attacked me. I feel like this show is echoing societal values of "virginity" more than showing the real trauma she has undergone. And by being afraid of this guy, she's being more submissive and once again, this show continues the trend of showing women as weak little creatures. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Its_Sashprincessonlineriniiii

fj08 IF-Rockerz
fj08
fj08

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
that is graphic... i would not like my daughter to be around if that was being said and this is a 7pm show that you are watching and comparing it to a 10pm show even disregarding that one of them is an american show and the other an indian serial

i applaud how they are showing nandinis reaction to finding out about the rape, crouching down and crying is a very normal thing, crying in the shower too is a very normal thing when you do not want to be overheard, sometimes its just good to have a good cry, wash out your system...

creatives always take some liberties with the content bcos they are portraying an event in a show and have to take into account alot of different sensibilities but i like how they are showing a rape victim till now

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

chotu1aaabbbPrateekshgaayikaPrabhkalluriniiiiregularinfoThinker_Bellessroomanistephhhkinara17Eksie

Thinker_Belle IF-Rockerz
Thinker_Belle
Thinker_Belle

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged
What? I'm sorry, but are you telling me that the only person being "realistic" while "enacting" a rape victim is on Private Practice, and rest are all fake??

Well, I disagree... I dunno how it is to be raped,but wouldn't it be different for different people? (gosh, I wish I didnt have to say that..)

Rape Trauma Syndrome (do a google search on it) has a lot of symptoms and even though I am not a doctor or a psychriatrist, I can tell that not everybody displays all symptoms and not everybody reacts in the same way. It has nothing to do with Indian/non-Indian drama.

Just because some character in an American drama felt what they show in movies is too "filmy",   it doesn't make "crouching in the shower, sobbing" an unrealistic portrayal...

Coming to the drama part - this subject is a sensitive one to handle, and ofcourse, there would be a lot of critisism directed towards the makers of this show... yet they dared enough to take up this subject, rather than mundane storylines that run on a lot of other shows on TV  is praiseworthy.  I'm not saying that they are doing an excellent job in portrayal of Nandini, nor am I saying that the trauma Nandini is showing is very accurate, but it is enough to showcase the real issue here, which is RAPE, which, unfortunately is a common crime in India which goes unreported due to the stigma attached to it....
Also, point to be noted is that Nandini was UNCONCIOUS when that tragic thing happend to her.... she also suffered for a while from dissociative amnesia for a while, and regained her memory of the incident later....
And I disagree that  "virginity" is the only thing they are bothered about...
They wanted a medical test done, to determine if she had a baby or not, and not to check her virginity... atleast that was what was said...
I dont know if there is a test that can determine a girl's virginity... if there is, please correct me.

Maybe the show isn't being handled with the kind of sensitivity it requires, but to be judged on the basis of a popular non-Indian show would be very unfair.... to the show and viewers.

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

chotu1aewagaayikaaaabbbriniiiiregularinfossroomanikinara17Eksie

sUgA -N- sPiCe Goldie
sUgA -N- sPiCe
sUgA -N- sPiCe

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
I'm not at all saying that Private Practice is the only show portraying rape in the correct light; I'm not even saying that this quote she be what the writers should be portraying. This just showed how contrary to "tv" portrayal rape CAN BE. What is frustrating is that when Krishna is holding her, she doesn't fight back. In real life, if a guy is holding and threatening you, you don't just stand there. Especially if this guy has raped you before. In real life, you fight back. That's the truth. I'm not saying I know how this situation is supposed to happen, I'm just saying, I feel as if the way they are portraying rape actually doesn't capture its complete impact.

Your points are very valid. And I apologize for offending you. My intent was not to say that this was the ONLY way to react to rape. Not at all. What I'm saying is taking up this storyline means doing justice to it and that there are many types of reactions; the one Nandini is showing is one that tends to be shown of tv many a time. It makes me question if it is a true, researched reaction or just something TV makers use?

Edited by sUgA -N- sPiCe - 05 January 2011 at 3:45pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

aaabbbgaayikaregularinfo

brainychild92 IF-Sizzlerz
brainychild92
brainychild92

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged
 What is frustrating is that when Krishna is holding her, she doesn't fight back. In real life, if a guy is holding and threatening you, you don't just stand there. Especially if this guy has raped you before. In real life, you fight back.

that frusterated me too but no.. everyone reacts differently.. she is afraid of him how is she supposed to fight back?  some women would fight back while others would do waht nandu did...   according to me rape is a vvvvv sensative/controversial issue that cannot be portrayed "correctly " cuz everyone goes through it differently.. some are strong enough to fight back. others choose suicide cuz of trauma..etc..  and ya lets not forget.. this is a 7pm show.. young children will ask questions and i wouldn't want that if that were my kid!

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

chotu1aewagaayikaaaabbbregularinfoThinker_Bellessroomanikinara17

Thinker_Belle IF-Rockerz
Thinker_Belle
Thinker_Belle

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sUgA -N- sPiCe

I'm not at all saying that Private Practice is the only show portraying rape in the correct light; I'm not even saying that this quote she be what the writers should be portraying. This just showed how contrary to "tv" portrayal rape CAN BE. What is frustrating is that when Krishna is holding her, she doesn't fight back. In real life, if a guy is holding and threatening you, you don't just stand there. Especially if this guy has raped you before. In real life, you fight back. That's the truth. I'm not saying I know how this situation is supposed to happen, I'm just saying, I feel as if the way they are portraying rape actually doesn't capture its complete impact.

Your points are very valid. And I apologize for offending you. My intent was not to say that this was the ONLY way to react to rape. Not at all. What I'm saying is taking up this storyline means doing justice to it and that there are many types of reactions; the one Nandini is showing is one that tends to be shown of tv many a time. It makes me question if it is a true, researched reaction or just something TV makers use?
@bold - You dont have to apologise... no offense taken. And none meant either.

I think I got what you are trying to say.. and ofcourse, I agree that Nandini sometimes... lets say -  leaves us wanting more out of the scene/performance... other members and I were having a discussion the other day about this. We couldn't make out if Nandini's character wasn't given much needed care by the Cvs or if Vandana Joshi wasn't  right tp play Nandini... This is her first acting stint, and Nandini's role is a tough one to play....

Either ways, I think she's improved a lot from the initial days... or maybe I got used to her acting..Wink 

With the nice progress in the storyline, I guess some things should be given benifit of doubt... It is, we should understand, very difficult to tell a compelling story and rope in all sorts of audience, especially when TRP is the name of the game.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

gaayikariniiiiregularinfossroomanifj08

Thinker_Belle IF-Rockerz
Thinker_Belle
Thinker_Belle

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by brainychild92

What is frustrating is that when Krishna is holding her, she doesn't fight back. In real life, if a guy is holding and threatening you, you don't just stand there. Especially if this guy has raped you before. In real life, you fight back.

that frusterated me too but no.. everyone reacts differently.. she is afraid of him how is she supposed to fight back?  some women would fight back while others would do waht nandu did...   according to me rape is a vvvvv sensative/controversial issue that cannot be portrayed "correctly " cuz everyone goes through it differently.. some are strong enough to fight back. others choose suicide cuz of trauma..etc..  and ya lets not forget.. this is a 7pm show.. young children will ask questions and i wouldn't want that if that were my kid!

I agree, when I get scared, I  just stand and stare... it takes a while for me to come up with a reaction... sometimes its too late, and the moment has passed, damage done...  and no, I never underwent any sort of trauma in my childhood or... adulthood. I can only imgine how people undergoing trauma might feel when faced with such sitution...

And whats this thing about young children asking questions?!!  why would they want to watch this in the first place???LOLLOL

mystifyreaaabbbregularinfofj08ssroomani

mystifyre Groupbie
mystifyre
mystifyre

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged
 The portrayals of most of the characters are on the dot to me, especially Krishna's and Nandini's. Actually, it would be Prem's, Kalyani's and even Govind's and Pallavi's portrayals which I find less real. I really appreciate the portrayals though, and I find the creatives are really playing out the story thoughtfully and considerately. Again, as you all stated, each person's experience and reaction would be different, but this one resonates with me positively and, if handled right, can be healing to many and provide support and engender compassion in many, too. I am looking forward hopefully that Prem and Kalyani will support Nandini and show many positives and give hope to anyone who has ever been in any situation similar to, lesser or worse than this.

Edited by mystifyre - 06 January 2011 at 7:49am

gaayikaregularinfoThinker_Bellessroomanifj08

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index