Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee
Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

A wake up call! (Page 8)

GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 21 January 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged

Caught the rerun.

Even before I could rue missing it initally, I could see I wouldnt have missed much anyways. The SBB segment earlier on the day pretty much outlined what was worth looking forward to.

Yesterdays episode hinted at ' joote do paise lo ' sequence and Adi - Pinky naughty act hitting it off to a start was endearing. 

Geet and Maan as always lit up the screen and our hearts with their air time. The two never had eyes for anyone but themselves but hey who's complaining.

Daar ji's bang on time for kanyadaan bit was leaked on SBB and the novelty had worn off. I had always hoped CV unite Geet and her family and they pull off the act to coincide with the wedding. Neat!

We all have come to be so fond of Geet that we are rooting for Maan to bring her every dream/wish/whims/fancies (also adding some of ours in the process) to materialise them.

Finally, Annie and Arjun.

I think they have been lamblasted enough already. Not only for their acting skills but also the air time they had come to consume. CV's strategy is best known to them.
In today's episode, they twosome beat the 'awesome' by miles to the.....well, you know what I mean, dont you.

Their whirlwind romance ( pre and post Arjun's character turning negative) defies logic. Not unexpected though. CV has a rich history of being on the erring side of logic and common sense.  

The story was otherwise brewing to a boiling point and CV adds an undesirable concoction. As if picking a rookie wasn't bad enough they stoop to a new low- borrowing plot from 'K' series.

What started off as a family drama, meant to highlight social issues and a girl's fight for justice is slowly steadily sinking into a revenge saga.

First Nayantara. Brij comes next, and now Arjun.
Geet commanded, nay, demanded that audience relate to her. Her spirits to battle all odds, in face of numerous adversities and bring her unborn child into this big world connected with the audience. 

Teens and adults alike reasoned that the wronged should claim her life back with dignity and self respect intact and the perpetrators of the crime be out behind bars.

That's a social responsibility with each of us and CV struck the right chords there. Maan's character was the perfect foil and despite a million rationality being tossed around carelessly, the character's righteousness ensured wecome to love the lead pair. 

Today the two have come a long way on the show and the characters are etched on our minds forever.  And then CV rocks the boat and is in for a free fall.  

The dead rising from the ashes, marital disharmony, revenge-avenge plot,extra marital affairs, children outside of wedlock, way ward brothers and sisters, general lack of morality, betrayal, in law horror, evil daughter in law, pregnancies from all plausible reasons ranging from rape, consensual to raging hormones? 

Sounds familiar? They are the chief elements in most or all of the shows that run daily across 100's of channel. Take a look at each in singularity and I demand to  know why GHSP should be any different? 

The answer probably lies in the treatment of these elements and blending it into the story without any of them sticking out like an eye sore. And then things change and it's been such a let down.

Annie making out with Arjun under the same roof as her brother's wedding is unacceptable. It's a new low for CV. We understand dramatics. Bringing in Brij and Nayantara right when the wedding bells toll was theatrical enough. A la Parineeta act was entirely expendable. 

I recall the scene from one of the earliest episode when Geet sneaks out of her home to meet Maan and asks him for the agent's contact number who sold the plot to him. Maan was condescending to her and alludes to her presence in his house at that hour in a very bad light. Geet nearly slaps him but restrains herself and says , " you were right about not using force / strike a blow to the helpless.And something about?aapki soch bhi utni hi choti hai?."

For a man as principled as Maan, CV deemed fit that Arjun delivers the blow where it hurts the most. And so, they contrive the story to portray a man taking advantage of a woman to put his plan through. 

Now those of you raising an eyebrow at the word ' advantage' can rest easy. CV actually has a social message in there. We need to read between the lines.

Annie is educated, loved by her family and like any other teen given to whims and fancies. That could be any one of the million teens out there. But CV takes it a step further to paint a picture of stupidity beyond belief.

So if a girl like Annie can fall to charming deception, shed her inhibitions along with clothes, it could happen to be just about anyone in real world.

I do believe in love at first sight. And if we dint believe in love we wouldn't be following GHSP today. Yet, Annie-Arjun's romance is unacceptable to us

Why

Because it is running parallel to the all important wedding track?

Because it is gaining momentum by leaps and bounds in comparison to the snail paced wedding and consuming equal if not more air time on the show?

Because we are deeply passionate about the impact of it on Maan-Geet track?

OR

Because, it's beyond our sensibilities to see a man-woman fall in love in a matter of days?

Because, they compromise on social norms and indulge in promiscuous behavior?

Because, Annie's character is portrayed as one with 'easy' virtues?

Aforementioned are 2 set of reasoning. One from the story PoV and the other from a social PoV. Do put your thinking caps on and reconsider why GHSP appeals to you. 

I don't want to sound like a saint or be preachy but I was sold to the concept that the show was addressing a social evil. It was being done in an immensely appealing fashion, targeted the youth, oozed innocence and simplicity, did not resort of shenanigans or exaggerations, kept the fun factor intact, had lead actors working their magic on us and we fell to these charms despite a wayward storyline.  

It has increasingly, overwhelmingly and obsessively boiled down to Geet and Maan today.No offense to all Geet-Maan fans. They are the reason I am still watching the show. I am merely thinking aloud.

Why was Chak De India, Rang de basanti, Fashion such big hits? Only because they had good performances? I highly doubt that. All 3 were youth oriented movies and they held a message there in?  

Even "Paheli" has stupenduous performances and even nominated in a category for the Oscars. It was a major dud despite the stars. Why? Because one din't connect to it? 

Its time we look at the big picture and draw conclusions than to go with the flow of widespread emotions. 

Long after the show wraps up on Star One I want to remember the story as a fairytale. Not as a show that had a sister getting cosy and comprising her own moral values as also putting the household honor at stake. 

Now that's a double edged sword. 'Honor'. Define it. 

Why is that when Geet's family ask her to abort the child and keep mum over the betrayal for the sake of family honor we find Geet's rebellion righteous.Because Geet believes  it is right? She has been wronged and she wants to keep the baby and wage a lone battle against social prejudices governed by a male dominated society. Therefore, Geet is actually exercising her free will. Geet conceived as a result of a con job. She din't know she was part of a bigger plan.

Now let's consider Annie.

She is a spoilt, rich brat, used to getting things her way and like most teenagers with a very dismissive attitude to speak of. Along comes a man she feels is a perfect match to her. She doesn't wait to be asked and is the new age woman making the first move. She believes she is right in choosing her partner and exercise her will.

So?

She isn't the first woman on planet to be duped by charms of a man.

She isn't the first woman to give into raging hormones.

She isn't the first woman to lie about her love escapades.

She isn't the first woman to prioritize love over family.

She isn't the first human being who is just plain stupid.

But she is branded stupid? Too forward? And to use words used in other threads on this forum?badtameez, naalayak, chaalooo , fast?so on and so forth.On the show it's a complete circle. Annie will pretty much land in same situationas Geet was at the beginning of the show.

Today we are tolerant of live in's, divorces, bigamy, consummating prior to tying the knot?and we label this as personal freedom and free will. I for one will respect a choice and can live with that. But there is no need for me to measure it up against my set of values and ethics. To each his own.

The reactions on the thread devoted to Annie and Arjun is vicious purely from the story PoV. I was hoping to see someone look at the issue in totality beyond just the story. 

If I needed to preach I would have turned a social activist or worse still join hands with National Commission for Woman and actually do something than write posts on a forum dedicated to the entertainment industry. 

Valid point. However, the motive here was to draw on the thought process of the common man. You and I. We are the audience. We are part of the society. The same mass that CV is trying to cater by way of entertainment. We are part of that society which unites to give Jessica Lal case a retrial. We united to express solidarity to an earthquake or a flash flood in the same breath as we were outraged over a powerful nation flattening another, for rhyme and reason best known to them, as if it owned the world. 

Yes I watch the show to escape from the reality of it all. Commercial formula based movies are a run away hit and its poorer cousin from "art house" meet with debacles at the BO. A perfectly good show is taking on unwarranted burdens upon itself and ruining the essence of it. That's my grouse.

Yes, you can ask me to shut up with my lecture and take it elsewhere. Well. I would. For now. It's late. And if you are still reading this you know it's a long post.  It's been a long day. I will try and leave my brain out of this in future and stick to cutesy posts.

Good night!

Edited by GodHelpUs - 21 January 2011 at 1:57pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ananya04Murlalradev2010

GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 1:30am | IP Logged
Hiya folks!!!

Just got around to catch Saturday's episode and I have nothing more to add to the celebartory mood than to rejoice!!!! Finally, the hottest onscreen pair who have been stuck at the altar for what seemed like an eternity have hiccuped their way to matrimonyClap.

Mum's the word. ( not mummy) I cant begin to put to words the inherent beauty of couple of shots enroute to the shaadi of Mrs and Mr Maan Khurana. Sigh!!

Like with real life, the reel too shall pendulate in coming times and speculations are rife already, the atmosphere abuzz with what will be the next thing to go horribly wrong.

For now I revel and bask in the joy. Dasvidaniya

Edited by GodHelpUs - 24 January 2011 at 1:32am
GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged

A weekend that was anything but a breeze and a hectic start to work week!!!Sounds familiar??? That's the real world knocking me back to my sense ..way removed from reel life. If only I could stay on a little longer in my reveries.Sigh!!

In such a rush, it only apt I put in a short write every now and then and simply follow up on other threads.Most of them anyways voice my own concerns on the show.

Just when all's hunky dory, CV has a knack of smacking us in the head with an unexpected bit of drama. Getting the hang of their wayward ways.Big smile

And while on the rope, hanging on to it. With the IF tellybuzz updates segment abuzz with comments the options are one too many. First it seemed , there will not be a wedding. And when it was underway dint think it will come to an end ever.Now that the wedding boat has set sail we have all the wrong winds blowing on its course and rocking it.

This too shall pass. Happy week everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged
Its said of Art, that it imitates life and vice versa.
As an audience, there is a moment of connect- when real meets reel. I had one of my own to share.

IF has witnessed a great deal of GHSP loyalist in PDA mode for DD and GC alike. Occasionally one can leaf through members recounting incidents from their lives quite similar to ones on the show.
I for one wrote at length about my ordeal of having been stuck in a conference room earlier onD'oh

Today however, I am not here to write on the episode.There's really nothing I could add . no thread to lay bare. I would suffice by saying- Poignant and etherealHeart.

On the work front, last couple of days have been intense. Even missed THE wedding episode and had to make do with the repeat telecast. No SBB  or updates to speak of. Lot of upheaval on reel and in real. Today was the first episode for Maan and Geet as a couple. In my opinion even Annie Arjun's passionate sequence was tastefully done. And let's not forget the first one of the lot -Dev and Geet. Aesthetic and dignified with none of the trappings of cliche most shows resort toThumbs Up.

Don't get technical , or  would it be medicalWink, but from shows perspective I hadn't pinned hopes on a making out between the sizzling duo of Geet and Maan.

Well, I mark today in my calendar as having officially moved onto different pastures at work, one that shall change the very trajectory of my career. Having said that I have a whole set of challenges to look forward do,stability having dulled the senses to seek the comfort zone. Time for a shake up. Much like GHSPWink where Arjun will drop the ticking bomb onto Maan's lap. Maan will have a tough time walking the tight rope between Geet's failing health and Annie's little romp payback.

As I watched today's episode, it occurs to me much like Geet and Maan starting off a new phase in life , with their nervous apprehensions and anxiety I too had a perplexing day. Too early to say.
CV mostly gets it right, bang on, unless where common sense and logic need be deployed , so leaving them with a commendation for the good work and hope that the momentum gained is leveraged upon.

Here's wishing them luck and a toast be raised for me tooClap!

Daily soaps are woman's bastion. And Tellywood is replete with women centric shows and themes for that very reason. A Tulsi commanded mob worship over a Mihir. A Parvathi snowed out a Om under adulations.A Prerana sweeps out Anurag and Mr. Bajaj. Finally ,a La Mamphodganj Lady of Justice aka Pratigyaa is giving sleepless nights and jitters and not just to the Sajjan Singh family.

Men have been relegated to caricatures on most popular shows. GHSP has Maan ( now, I know most of you disagree with the following). As an actor his portrayal of the character has been equally brilliant if not over and above DD's or rest of the cast. A telly show 'hero' whipping up such mass frenzy is amusing to witness. 

Ever wondered on the title of the show , " Geet.....hui sabse parayi" 
Good heaven's no offense meant to the character or the actor but Maan's character has never had a moments peace. Not a breather. No respite in sight. Geet has Maan by her side even in unforeseen disasters but Maan is in a perpetual state of worry.

The poor chap is burdened beyond imagination. And wedding hasn't exactly been a welcome relief. A business to run. A weird family to keep tabs onOuch. A Dadi ma to take care of. An inefficient office staff. A beloved like Geet who drives him nuts and her troubles so lovingly embraced. Finally to pile on to all these the promises he makes to himself and others at the drop of a hat much like his temperAngry.
Its been a helluva journey for Maan as well.

Hard to visualize anything else but anyone ever considered an alternative title to the show? Irrelevant question but its a thought. 
Even if it was called " Maan ki Geet- Ek rishta aisa bhi" ( ok that was super uncoolLOL) DD and GC would still rock the showStar

GodHelpUs Senior Member
GodHelpUs
GodHelpUs

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 2:38am | IP Logged
Its been a while...since my last post and every time I am back  after a self imposed exile from IF I come across a veritable feast of topics discussed through various threads. Some are interesting, some pique my curiosity, some are downright malicious....

During my time away most of the topics that occurred to me have been discussed and ripped apart with clinical precision.So there would be no value add through this post. However, I write to put pen to paper ( not literally) few of the fleeting thoughts in the intervening time lag.

I have been caught up with an awful lot of tangents at work place. After 3 years I'm back to doing what I love most-"Change". So, one hectic day after another, I come home to a doting family that  loves to crib over how little they get to see of me. And I settle down to catch GHSP as discreetly as possible.

And I read through threads that are spiteful of body doubles, GC and DD's personal life being discussed in not so colorful words. They are in entertainment industry and hence it some how gives us audience a right to opine on their privacy. Interesting. Most of IF members are students and/or working professionals who have an eventful day and await each evening to catch up with a 22-22 minute show. The actors of the show work 14-16 hours of their own eventful day to bring us that magic each evening. 

If the reel life hasn't exhausted them already, they too have to get back to a real life, with real people in it ,who probably love complaining as much as my family does.And like any of us, they too would want to run away from it all for some time. Like my colleagues cover for me during my absence, body doubles step in to relieve the pressure off the actors.

But somehow, the whole issue, which seems very normal to me, gets blown out of proportion.Because, we live in a consumerist era and there the consumer , a.k.a, audience is the king??

And IF turns into a self styled ombudsman forum. 

Being as much a fan of the show as any of the member here the use of body doubles, the absence of actors, the alterations to the story line and screenplay to accommodate the two isn't exactly finding favors with me but I think I can relate at some logical level to forgive.

I have some interests out of work place and they demand a large chunk of my precious little personal time. Thank god I have worked out a agreeable format at work and family, and yes both nag endlessly.

So when I read about the Valentine day's special show with GC and DD too performing in it,they making time for rehearsals, I can empathize with them largely.

My these very other interests will be have me missing out the entire Valentine weekend. And I don't even want to get started on it. I sure am miserable as hellCry. But then what's IF for. I can catch up at a later date and it will all feel like I was never gone.

As far as the story is concerned, I cant help but wonder why creative team can only think of a fight followed by kiss and make up in the name of twist. The sensitive issue could have been handled altogether differently. There wasn't a need for harsh words and extreme measures. In MSK's own words, Geet understands him better than he knows himself. A heart to heart talk is all that was needed.  But then CV knows better. I am sure their  script writers are paid well enough for it.

And with the doctor not telling Geet about the complications and the impending need for abortion, the door is left wide open for some more drama. Time will tell.

Finally, the surprise element was Annie. The Arjun Annie track actually tugged at my heart strings. And no its still not the actors who are responsible for it. With Arjun letting the cat out of the bag and having laid out all his cards, I am expecting CV to pack a punch with Annie's stand on the fiasco.

I am hoping it redefines the social standing for a woman who has been dealt with such a cruel hand. A thundering slap on the faces of all those who think women are mere pawns in their hand. After Arjun's revelation of his true intentions, there is no need for Annie to grieve endlessly. She is young to get over the heartbreak and the proximity that held a world of promises too shall be soon forgotten.

By shedding tears and mourning a loss that she never owned in the first place she needn't play right into Arjun's hands. May her choices, shatter into smithereens the notion that a victimized woman has to take cover of silence and live with the wrongs. May she take a leaf out of Geet's journals and live with the consequences of her choices and happily so, with or without a man by her side.

The most idiotic theory on the planet is that a woman needs to have a man by her side, that marriage is a be all end all and that motherhood completes her. Now, no one is arguing the sanctity of these institutions but certain notions are arguable.

Loosing virginity /making out with a wrong man is traumatic indeed but one needn't feel victimized over it. My opinion purely and I do wish GHSP makes a bold statement with the current storyline.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ananya04Geekgod

bDgT IF-Dazzler
bDgT
bDgT

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 6:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by GodHelpUs

I am expecting CV to pack a punch with Annie's stand on the fiasco.

I am hoping it redefines the social standing for a woman who has been dealt with such a cruel hand. A thundering slap on the faces of all those who think women are mere pawns in their hand. After Arjun's revelation of his true intentions, there is no need for Annie to grieve endlessly. She is young to get over the heartbreak and the proximity that held a world of promises too shall be soon forgotten.

By shedding tears and mourning a loss that she never owned in the first place she needn't play right into Arjun's hands. May her choices, shatter into smithereens the notion that a victimized woman has to take cover of silence and live with the wrongs. May she take a leaf out of Geet's journals and live with the consequences of her choices and happily so, with or without a man by her side.

The most idiotic theory on the planet is that a woman needs to have a man by her side, that marriage is a be all end all and that motherhood completes her. Now, no one is arguing the sanctity of these institutions but certain notions are arguable.

Loosing virginity /making out with a wrong man is traumatic indeed but one needn't feel victimized over it. My opinion purely and I do wish GHSP makes a bold statement with the current storyline.

Darling, brilliantly articulated and I second every single word that I have marked in bold red letters. That day when this serial takes a radical stand on these lines would for me be a red-lettered day, but then HOPE IS A THING THAT IS ETERNAL in this SAPPY SOAP WORLD!! Clap Clap Clap

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

GodHelpUsGeekgod49erFan

Geekgod IF-Rockerz
Geekgod
Geekgod

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
I agree with you, I am not as articulate as Bri or you are but I'll say it anyway.

I hope she kicks him where it hurts the most and leaves him incapable of pulling the same stunt again with another girl. I hope to God she doesn't indulge in all the rona dhona and get over this, it happens, not the end of the world. Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger.
HugzHug

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

49erFan

49erFan IF-Sizzlerz
49erFan
49erFan

Posted: 30 January 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged
I agree with Geeks, enough hathyachar on woman, they need to stand up on their own, who needs a man in their life to go on! 

Go to top