Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

When can the baby survive outside Mother's womb

spalle thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
After watching today's episode it got me thinking and I investigated as when can a baby really survive outside mother's womb.

I have heard of babies surving at as young as 20 weeks . It actually happened to a baby in england . But most sites will tell you a baby is viable after 24 weeks. i.e. Geet should be in here 5th or 6th month

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

delhigirl thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: spalle

After watching today's episode it got me thinking and I investigated as when can a baby really survive outside mother's womb.

I have heard of babies surving at as young as 20 weeks . It actually happened to a baby in england . But most sites will tell you a baby is viable after 24 weeks. i.e. Geet should be in here 5th or 6th month

babies being born between 20 - 30 weeks, go through tons of complications because their lung is not mature. Infact they end up on ventilator and incubator for them to survive. they may even sustain brain damage because of lack of oxygen. In 20 - 30 weeks, further they are beyond 24 weesk, better fro the baby.

There have been reports of babies surviving between 20-24 weeks, but that is extremely uncommon and tend to have more complications. This is has happened also because of better medical supportive care with ventilators and incubators

Kay