Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Memories - what do you do with them? (Page 2)

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by crazy_sunny

What last longer? good or bad memories?

If there is any injustice done to one then the bad memories remain until either justice is served or fault forgiven. Sometimes time is a great healer.
A lot too depends on one's nature and understanding; sometimes fault lies with both parties for minor differences and quarrels.
Generally hatred is more powerful then love.

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I don't like memories, they are out of control. I wish human memories were more like computers. I want to be able to save what I like and erase everything I don't like. I also want to password protect and encrypt everything that is nobody's business in such a manner that even the user cannot override it. That will prevent lapse of judgment expressions altogether.

Yes but photos, videos etc are good controllable memories. You can edit, modify, delete them however you want.

Yes it would be great if we could select what we want and programme the mind.
 The mind is like a recorder that constantly keeps repeating certain sad events and situations and will never leave us in peace; especially when we have lost someone close and dear. It makes us think about things which we do not really want to and we cannot escape from it. It can drive us crazy. In such situations sometimes even reasoning does not help. We then can only hope that time will heal the pain or pray for peace of mind.

Memories is some ways indicate out attachment to things and events. Memories go when desire decreases and when that happens I guess our lives too may not mean much to us.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

I forgot what we have to do with them, actually.
Yes if our attention wholly drawn towards the future or if we live in the present then memories do not mean much.
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Yes if our attention wholly drawn towards the future or if we live in the present then memories do not mean much.

actually it means that I am going back to making wisecracks on debates.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Any memory that you always cherish or a face or event you can never forget and keep playing in your mind or keep dreaming of ?

The first time I held and saw my daughters and their very first day at school.
I think love is complete when one has a child. The depth of love a mother feels is hard for men to understand. It is a height which most men can never reach I think.; at least not for me I know.
And if I could feel so deeply I doubt I would be able to handle it.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged

actually it means that I am going back to making wisecracks on debates.
Wise cracks can provide new perspective I think.LOL
But ulitmately we have to Empty our minds like Empty Bhai, before moving to the last stage.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Gauri_3

Any memory that you always cherish or a face or event you can never forget and keep playing in your mind or keep dreaming of ?

The first time I held and saw my daughters and their very first day at school.

for me- when I left school LOL
Yes you do feel like a huge burden has been lifted.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged
Came across this old piece of advice

desiderata - by max ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920

Go to top