Chat 2 (Page 115)

tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by Summer3

I wonder how Swami Vivekananda memorized the whole Encyclopedia page by page. Guess a great yogi is unbelievable.

You know summer ji other fact is He is a gr8 Dog lover too....Smile

You can learn a lot from dogs: Day dreaming,obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down ,no bitching,dogs should relax and get used to the idea...Dogs see that their owner provides them with food, shelter and caters to their every need and they think "He must be God." Cats see that their owner provides them with food, shelter and caters to their every need and they think "I must be God." Big smile

ROFL i really can see a cat thinking that too ROFL oh and same for dog LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Believe-

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tulipbaby53

Yes, it's abused. Oh and what's the purpose of dowery? Confused

Back in the day dowry was actually the share of the daughter's inheritance. Traditionally girls would become part of the husband's family, and son's would inherit land, property, business. The parents usually liquidated part of their assets and gave it to the daughter in the form of gifts, cash, jewelry etc. This way the daughter got her fair share. It was completely voluntary and out of good will. It was not mandatory, nor was it demanded.

Over time however, people got greedy and abusive. People would try to make alliances with girls from wealthy families and demand dowry. Farmers and traders were forced to liquidate their businesses to ensure they could pay a hefty dowry and get their daughter a good married life.

Many customs that were meant to be reasonable have become abused and misused over time.

Even arranged marriage was not meant to be a forced affair, but the family essentially guiding and helping people choose the right spouse. Moreover, traditionally swavamvars or gandharva weddings were not uncommon or shocking. Again as people wanted marriage to be a business, things went out of hand.
-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:46pm | IP Logged

I wonder how Swami Vivekananda memorized the whole Encyclopedia page by page. Guess a great yogi is unbelievable.

You can learn a lot from dogs: Day dreaming,obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down ,no bitching,dogs should relax and get used to the idea...Dogs see that their owner provides them with food, shelter and caters to their every need and they think "He must be God." Cats see that their owner provides them with food, shelter and caters to their every need and they think "I must be God." Big smile

LOL I'm still impressed with the dogs ability to play it cool ...but I agree Cats are smarter than dogs, you'll never see 8 cats pulling some dumb a$ through the snow!! LOL
tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Yes, it's abused. Oh and what's the purpose of dowery? Confused

Back in the day dowry was actually the share of the daughter's inheritance. Traditionally girls would become part of the husband's family, and son's would inherit land, property, business. The parents usually liquidated part of their assets and gave it to the daughter in the form of gifts, cash, jewelry etc. This way the daughter got her fair share. It was completely voluntary and out of good will. It was not mandatory, nor was it demanded.

Over time however, people got greedy and abusive. People would try to make alliances with girls from wealthy families and demand dowry. Farmers and traders were forced to liquidate their businesses to ensure they could pay a hefty dowry and get their daughter a good married life.

Many customs that were meant to be reasonable have become abused and misused over time.

Even arranged marriage was not meant to be a forced affair, but the family essentially guiding and helping people choose the right spouse. Moreover, traditionally swavamvars or gandharva weddings were not uncommon or shocking. Again as people wanted marriage to be a business, things went out of hand.

Oh yeah, now that I read your post I'm remembering my anthropology class. She had mentioned that it was supposed for the daughter's security. Thank you so much for reminding me again!

I agree. Everything was created out of good intentions at the time, but over time has gotten abused. People try to make everything business or politically related. It's sad. Even though dowry is supposedly banned in India we still hear about girls getting tortured over it. I really feel blessed to be living abroad and that too in an openminded family. I feel bad for even some of my friends here because their parents are always forcing them to meet possible suitors, and I'm like, "We're not at the age for marriage! We're just getting our chance to live in this world." Sometimes parents don't see the whole picture. Nowadays the most important thing should not be marriage; it should be to make sure your children are independent and hold a good job because people are very different in thinking these days. 

Edited by tulipbaby53 - 10 January 2011 at 10:50pm
tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged

LOL I'm still impressed with the dogs ability to play it cool ...but I agree Cats are smarter than dogs, you'll never see 8 cats pulling some dumb a$ through the snow!! LOL

ROFL

My nani has a big superstition about cats: She thinks cats are evil and bring bad luck. LOL She starts narrating about this house that have nine cats and none of their five daughters are marriage, and they are in the mid-30s to 40 range. LOL
-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 11:11pm | IP Logged

ROFL

My nani has a big superstition about cats: She thinks cats are evil and bring bad luck. LOL She starts narrating about this house that have nine cats and none of their five daughters are marriage, and they are in the mid-30s to 40 range. LOL  ---LOLAisa hay tho ..I think ur nani is right lolLOLLOL My nani told me b4...cats have nine lives...which makes them perfect for experimenting on...Wink

Sometime I feel my mirror and my camera have two completely different ideas of what I look like. Do you ever feel like that way?....Ouch
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 11:28pm | IP Logged

Great people seem to love many things.
I see our Vinu Bhai is conversant in animal languages too.LOL
Tulip sis can speak to birds.

Edited by Summer3 - 10 January 2011 at 11:29pm
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged

ROFL

My nani has a big superstition about cats: She thinks cats are evil and bring bad luck. LOL She starts narrating about this house that have nine cats and none of their five daughters are marriage, and they are in the mid-30s to 40 range. LOL  ---LOLAisa hay tho ..I think ur nani is right lolLOLLOL My nani told me b4...cats have nine lives...which makes them perfect for experimenting on...Wink

Sometime I feel my mirror and my camera have two completely different ideas of what I look like. Do you ever feel like that way?....Ouch
Cameras give the front view and mirrors give the reverse viewLOL
Look at a painting in the mirror and it looks different.
So if you appear ugly in front of the mirror it may be a lie.

Go to top