Chat Clubs

India-Forums

Chat Clubs
Chat Clubs

Philomatheans : 10 (Invites Only) (Page 96)

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 6:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by axeion

I don't know what all these crazy-heads are talking abt... Me n Smita were talking abt the guy I met at New Year's Eve party in New York EmbarrassedDay Dreaming Wish we had atleast exchanged numbers Confused Or asked each other's name Ouch

Good Morning Sanam HugHugHug

yeah, i didn't imagine that you were talking about Bill NYE... main ne kaha koi aur nye ho ga.... Embarrassed

warna, i would have said this much earlier... EmbarrassedLOLLOLLOL

arey, koi nahin.... life is too short to regret such small matters.... never look backwards, always look forwards, upwards and above... WinkBig smile  well, except when you are driving... you have to also look at the rear view... EmbarrassedLOLLOLLOL

morning Ekta... HugHugHug   how are you doing today....!  

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RainbowWarrioraxeionpinkisluv91

axeion IF-Sizzlerz
axeion
axeion

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 6:45am | IP Logged
Lol... Yup, I am not looking backwards Tongue
Day has been good so far, heading to work now... Waiting for my train :((

How's ur day going on? Chotu uth Gaya?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Nuktaacheenpinkisluv91

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged
alright...  i'm posting something from raja sen's blog for aamir...!  
let's discuss it here... it'll be fun...!   Wink

This week we kick things off with a direct quote, from the occasionally great Aamir Khan:

"Mujhe yeh dar lagta hai ki Dhobi Ghaat shaayad audiences ko — matlab jo masses hai — unko pasand nahin aayegi. Kyonki yeh bahut hi fine film hai. Matlab jin logon ko cinema ki samajh hai, jo log sensitive hai, dil se jo jazbaati log hain, unke liye ye film hai."

"I fear that maybe audiences — the masses — won't like Dhobi Ghaat. Because it's a very fine film. I mean people who have knowledge of cinema, who are sensitive, who think from the heart and are emotional, this film is for them."

Really, Mr Khan?

Do please put a sock in it, sir.

Suddenly your new film is too good for your audience? And your audience, the reason you are who you are, perceived as cerebral even while hawking low-fat snacks, is suddenly not sensitive enough, not emotional enough — and not well enough versed in film theory — for you? Bah, humbug.

The sheer level of condescension in that quote is alarming. For one, calling the Indian audience short of sensitivity or emotion is a stretch in any book. We've always been suckers for high drama, even in comic scenes. You know, the kind of films where vacuum cleaners birth infants just so caricatured fathers can have changes of heart? Yeah, those wouldn't work if the audience didn't react with its heart and forgive all the farce.

Said at the Peepli Live DVD launch last week, the lines are also particularly jarring coming from Aamir, an actor whose biggest hits — Raja Hindustani, Fanaa, Ghajini — are widely considered the weakest of his films. Does it then imply that the perfectionist knows his audience so well that he confidently feeds them tripe? And in that vein, is it an admission, an inadvertently candid confession of mediocrity, saying that while the other films are 'simple' enough for masses to get, this one — produced by Aamir and directed by wife Kiran Rao, currently nabbing killer reviews on the festival circuit — is the sole exception? That Khan himself is frighteningly aware that everything else he serves up is not, um, 'fine'?

And since when did you need to be cine-literate to appreciate a good film? A masterpiece is a masterpiece is a masterpiece, and hits you right between the eyes — and shoves you in the heart with the force of a roundhouse right — no matter what you know about the craft of cinema. A good film is a visceral experience, and you do not need to be aware of technique or predecessors to be overwhelmed by it. Sure, film theorists and critics and their mothers all have different ways of consuming a film, but a solid film — which could be personally smashing for any single one of us — doesn't need cinematic education to show off its chops. At all.

Then again, as a friend suggests, perhaps this too is strategy on the part of the masterful marketing maestro. Berate the masses, and dare them to come see a film in defiance of the claim that they won't get it. For all you and I know — and Aamir's track record suggests he knows better than anyone else — it'll work, and Dhobi Ghaat will be an unquestioned success. Maybe just because of those reactionary words.

Yet that isn't the point. As a member of your audience, Mr Khan, that quote just hurts. It is thoughtless, callous, dismissive and most uncalled for. Suggesting that you are smarter than the people who make you a star betrays a hint of smugness that, when heightened, invariably culminates in increasingly sloppy, manipulative cinema. Coming from you, one we have tremendous expectations from, a barb like that stings and disappoints in equal measure.

And a plea for sensitivity from the audience could certainly have used some of its own.

~

Originally published Mumbai Mirror, November 17, 2010

http://rajasen.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/is-aamir-a-star-only-because-we%E2%80%99re-too-dumb/

axeionpinkisluv91

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged

Lol... Yup, I am not looking backwards Tongue
Day has been good so far, heading to work now... Waiting for my train :((

How's ur day going on? Chotu uth Gaya?

so far, so good.... i've got to do my revisions, yet again...

uth gaya hai aur udham bhi macha raha hai...!   LOLLOLLOL   i dropped my daughter to her preschool, but i've got to pick up her early today... aaj jaldi chuti hai....!

i'm going to upload some pics as well...!   Big smile

axeionpinkisluv91

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged
view from my house... Big smile

jungle that's behind our home... LOLLOL   this is part of our home, btw... Big smile  

axeion IF-Sizzlerz
axeion
axeion

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged
Wow...Sanam, Send some snow here Embarrassed Will come back n discuss abt Aamir later. Abhi thoda kaam karna hai Ouch

Nuktaacheenpinkisluv91

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged

Wow...Sanam, Send some snow here Embarrassed Will come back n discuss abt Aamir later. Abhi thoda kaam karna hai Ouch

the weather has improved quite a bit now...!  Big smile   but we still do have snow...

last one... my little princess sledding....!!   Big smile

esseesse IF-Sizzlerz
esseesse
esseesse

Posted: 25 January 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged

thats me clicking the bomb.

Nuktaacheenaxeion

Go to top