Page 1 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 2 Page 6

SuhanaSafar

IF-Rockerz

SuhanaSafar

Posted: 03 January 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged
Welcome friends!  After a very successful first run, the Top Detective contest is finally back!  This contest is inspired from "Clue" books that I used to read years ago.  I have posted a story of a crime below and your goal is to determine who committed it.  All the clues are there, so all you have to do is read carefully and think logically.  There are no tricks.  If something seems too obvious, it's probably because it's meant to be that way.  For example, if I mention someone sneezing, you can deduce that it's the suspect with allergies. 

Hope you enjoy the contest!  Contestants with the correct answers will be recognized as "Top Detectives" and will win a siggy prize.  So what are you waiting for!  The clues are right in front of you.  Get cracking!

Please PM answers to SuhanaSafar with the subject heading "Top Detective".  The last date to submit is January 27th.

INTRODUCTION

CID Officer Daya has arranged a costume party at his home to celebrate New Year's Eve.  In order to help out with the extra work, he has hired a maid named Mrs. Chatterjee, recommended to him by his fellow officer Abhijeet.  Also, five guests are coming in from out of state to attend the party and thus will need accommodations for the night.  Daya has talked to each of them and requested them to stay at his home.  Of all the guests at the party, Daya trusts these six people (five guests and the maid) the least.  Each of them is greedy and would go any length to obtain some extra cash or valuables ' even commit murder.  Here is a short description of these suspicious characters:

Dr. Anand: A snobby woman who lives in Delhi with her husband and two children.  She and her husband are both surgeons, and they take pride in their gigantic mansion and lavish lifestyle.  Her family was too busy to attend the party, but she needed a vacation so she took the time to come.

Miss Bhatia: A college student studying Hindi in Agra.  She gives the impression of being a quiet, thoughtful woman, but the thoughts running through her mind would shock even the boldest of people.  She suffers from terrible allergies from just about everything, and barely a minute goes by when she's not sneezing.

Mrs. Chatterji: A maid who works for Daya's friend and coworker, Abhijeet.  She came to Mumbai from Calcutta two years ago.  Although she's very good with completing the household chores, her intentions are unpredictable.  She's a nosy woman who closely watches everything going on in the house.  Small valuables often go missing, and Abhijeet suspects Mrs. Chatterji, but he's waiting for solid proof before dismissing her from her position.

Professor Jaitley: He used to be a professor at Madras University until his retirement two years ago.  He's a widower who has an awful short term memory and often forgets where he put his glasses and other possessions.  However, one thing he never forgets is where he has hidden the hordes of money that he obtained through corrupt means.

Mr. Khan: A shrewd businessman from Ahmedabad who would anything to outcompete his competitors.   The employees of his company respect and fear him.  He is clearly a formidable man, but if rumors are true, there is someone whom he fears and takes order from: his wife.

Mr. Lakhani: A man from Bhopal, who earns his living by working as a clerk at a bank.  Although his life is ordinary, he has big dreams of becoming a stuntman for films.  To satisfy his daredevil tendencies, he races motorcyles and dresses like a gangster.  Whenever he's not at work, he can be seen wearing a red bandana on his head.

STORY

After the rest of the guests had left the party, Daya, his five guests from out of town and Mrs. Chatterjee were lounging in the drawing room of Daya's mansion, finishing the leftover snacks.  All except Daya were still wearing their costumes from the party, which consisted of different colored masks and matching long capes.  Each person had disguised him or herself so well, that no one could be completely sure who the others were.

At that moment, Daya came up with an idea to make the rest of the evening more entertaining.  "Why don't we play a trivia game?" he suggested to the group.  "I will ask the six of you a series of questions and one who answers the most correctly wins.  Since I'm not sure who any of you are, there's no chance of me being bias towards anyone."

The guest in the white mask sighed exasperatedly.  "I have no desire to use my brain right now.  Can't we just relax for the evening?"

"Are you sure you are not interest?" Daya asked.  "There will be a monetary prize involved."

All of a sudden, everyone became alert and sat up straight in their seats.  When it came to money, they were all ears.

"Oh really?" the guest in the red mask questioned.  "And how much would this prize be?"

"Let's say...a check for 50,000 rupees?"

They all became excited at the thought of using this check for their individual purposes, and the contest began.  The game was a close one, with each of the guests taking the lead at some point.  As it was about to end, the guest in the green mask had almost secured the prize.  However, that guest then began sneezing uncontrollably and was unable to answer the rest of the questions in the allotted time.  Thus, ultimately victory belonged to the guest in the purple mask. 

The guest in green was livid.  "If I had not forgotten to take my allergy medications today, I certainly would have won."

"Don't be such a sore loser," the guest in blue advised, as Daya handed the promised check to the guest in purple. 

"Well, I'm off to bed," the guest in the white mask said, standing from the sofa.  One by one, all the other guests stood up, bid Daya a goodnight, and retired to their rooms.  After turning off the lights, Daya also went to his room and immediately went to sleep. 

The guest in yellow was in a foul mood when entering the room.  Removing the mask, the guest sat down in front of the mirror.  She furiously began brushing her hair.  "I should have won that contest," she said to herself.  "If Daya would have asked any questions about medicine, there would have been no competition.  Why did he ask questions related to everyone else's careers and not mine?"

She suddenly realized that she had forgotten her purse in the living room.  Walking over to the door of her room, she grabbed the doorknob.  Unfortunately, she pulled it with a little too much force, and the entire doorknob ended up in her hand. 

Oh no, she thought to herself.  Now she was locked in the room.  After pondering for a moment, she decided not to wake anyone up right now.  In the morning, she would call Daya and ask him to help her get out of the room.  With this thought, she headed to bed, not to be awoken until the next morning.

Meanwhile, in the darkness of the night, two of the guests left their rooms and met in the hallway.  They briefly revealed their faces to one another before putting their masks back on.

"This look suits you," said the guest in the blue mask.  "It's nice to see you without that ridiculous bandana for a change."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," the guest in the white mask replied.  "So, what's the plan?"

"You stand guard outside the room while I will sneak inside and steal the check.  Then we split it fifty-fifty."

"Sounds good.  Let's go."  The guest in white started heading towards the end of the hallway.

"Wait," the guest in blue advised.  "Come this way.  There is a shortcut to that room."

"How do you know?"

The guest in blue snickered.  "Before this party, I spent two days cleaning this place.  I know it like the back of my hand."  They both proceeded towards the shortcut.

In the meantime, the guest in the purple mask had placed the awarded check in a secure location and was getting ready to get into bed and read a few chapters of the novel sitting at the bedside table.  Abruptly, with a confused expression, the guest began moving throughout the room, searching for something.

"Where are those darn glasses?" the guest wondered aloud.  "I can't understand why I always lose everything."

As the guest in purple searched for the glasses, the guests in blue and white had just arrived in the same hallway.  Just as they were about to reach the room that belonged to the guest in purple, someone else got there first.  Not wanting to be seen sneaking around the hallway, the duo in blue and white hid behind a wall and watched as the guest in red stood in front of the door, and then, quiet as a mouse, snuck inside.

Within minutes, they heard some commotion from behind the door.  Ten seconds later, there was a thud as someone fell to the floor.  Finally, a figured emerged from the room triumphantly with the check for 50,000 rupees in hand.  It was the guest in the red mask.

Who was this guest in the red mask who stole the money?

Edited by SuhanaSafar - 03 January 2011 at 10:22am

The following 31 member(s) liked the above post:

zulaikhaNessCIDblueberries.LINSADJ_Apurvashrutireddygr8nishalpvsk-Preetz-dr.fahmishreelaLavenderCrystalaadri-KhotaSikaShreyasubha.Saadritasunnyp1414Girl-Lawsworthsuhani.cipamisapriya_sparshaAditi_97Rashida15visromAmbrosianycsweetiedebayonastonish_Invincible_Chiinnu-Twinkles-m_kal2011DivAniTanni

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "CID Top Detective Contest!" in CID forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Chiinnu

IF-Sizzlerz

Chiinnu

Posted: 03 January 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged
@suhana thank you so much for your effort. Hope this will be a huge success.

KhotaSikaShreya

Viewbie

KhotaSikaShreya

BollyCurry Script Supervisor

Posted: 03 January 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged
Thanks so much for this. Smile

DivAniTanni

IF-Stunnerz

DivAniTanni

Posted: 03 January 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged
Wow! Lovely. At last it started. That's a great job from you Suhana.....

DJ_Apurva

DJ_Apurva

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 12:41am | IP Logged
Suhana Di. Thnx for it. superb job...

aadri-

Goldie

aadri-

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged
great job.

Aditi_97

IF-Rockerz

Aditi_97