Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

NO ONE KILLED JESSICA - REVIEWS (Page 8)

ibelieveinpink IF-Stunnerz
ibelieveinpink
ibelieveinpink

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged
Sorry to jump in Anku and Mahek, but I think everyone should know about the film and def go see it...so if he's promoting the film....good for him! I think it's a story that needed to be told and there are still a lot of ppl who DON'T know what went on with Jessica and her case....realistic films like this hardly get made and if they ppl rather go see some masala flick than watch this! SO I hope everyone and I mean every single sole goes and sees it....so a lot of publicity is a good thing!

ajooni IF-Rockerz
ajooni
ajooni

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:13am | IP Logged
Daily News & Analysis  http://www.dnaindia.com/

Review: No One Killed Jessica is the film to beat in 2011

DNA / Aniruddha Guha / Wednesday, January 5, 2011 19:13 IST

Film: No One Killed Jessica (A)

Director: Rajkumar Gupta

Cast: Rani Mukherji, Vidya Balan, Myra, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub and others

Rating: ****

What a start to 2011! You couldn't have asked for a film better than No One Killed Jessica (NOKJ) to kick off the year. Director Rajkumar Gupta narrates the true events following the murder of model Jessica Lall at a Delhi nightclub in 1999, and makes it a compelling, dramatic and moving experience.

Fact, truly, is stranger than fiction. The incident has been the topic of much discussion in the past, and another Rajkumar — Santoshi — had touched upon it in his film, Halla Bol. But while Halla Bol only used the case in the backdrop, NOKJ takes a close look at the episode, sticking to actual events as recorded by investigative agencies and the media.

It's not like the film doesn't deviate from reality. Gupta takes some cinematic liberties — in the characterisation of journalist Meera Gaity and the police officer investigating the case, for example — but stays largely true to the incident.

No One Killed Jessica begins with Gaity (Mukherji) introducing viewers to Delhi, or Dilli, where getting into a tussle with someone on the streets could lead to dire consequences because everyone has a 'connection'. The images in the title sequence, leaping at you from newspaper articles, and Amit Trivedi's heavy metal-based background score set up the film's tone perfectly.

A late-night call to Sabrina Lall (Vidya) wakes her up from her reverie — her sister has been shot at a party. Why? Because she refused to serve a drink to a politician's son. Incredulous, Sabrina fights to get her sister's murderer, Manish (Zeeshan), and his accomplices convicted.

But a system susceptible to corruption makes sure they get away — witnesses are bought, policemen bribed, and the investigation trampled upon.

In steps Meera. She had ignored the 'story' of Lall's murder as a journalistic pursuit because it was an "open-and-shut" case, according to her. But Manish's acquittal, almost seven years later, makes her take up the matter.

A sting operation is conducted, which brings new facts to light, and the public is stirred through a campaign initiated by activists ('Middle Finger Protests' among them) and the media.

A nationwide movement leads to the case being reopened, and Manish gets a life sentence.

You know how the story of NOKJ will unfold, yet it keeps you on edge and intrigued, which augurs well for even those who know nothing about the Jessica Lall case.

Gupta's debut film Aamir (a remake of Cavite) gave an indication of the director's potential, and NOKJ cements his credibility.

This time, the script is an original one — even though borrowed from real life — and Gupta has woven enough scenes around the plot that entertain, even as he keeps the focus on the underlying serious theme.

The characters are spunky, the dialogues brutally real — the brazen language isn't a tool to shock, it just reflects real conversations — and the editing (Aarti Bajaj) is slick. Trivedi's music deserves special mention.

The pre-interval portion could have been shorter — the film does take a while to get going — but it sets up a fast-paced, explosive second half. In spite of the grimness of the story, NOKJ reminds you of the one positive outcome of the Jessica Lall case — the public, when united, can make giants fall.

Vidya Balan underplays Sabrina, letting the silence speak instead. Her face remains resilient in her pursuit for justice, even if the body language is timid. In a scene where she lashes out, letting the pent-up emotions find release through anger, Vidya sparkles.

Contrasting her is Meera, performed brilliantly by Mukherji. She has the more appealing role of the two, but a lesser performer may not have made the same impact. As the foul-mouthed, strong-willed journalist, Mukherji gives one of her best performances till date.

Myra, who plays Jessica, is cast well and endears herself enough to make you want, badly, to see her murderer punished. She appears intermittently in flashback sequences, one of which comes at a crucial juncture, giving the story a new dimension.

The rest of the cast is fantastic, too. Right from the police officer who is frustrated by his inability to make a difference (Rajesh Sharma, you saw him as KK in Ishqiya) to the hapless politician who is torn between the love for his son and a moral sense of right, to the murderer himself. These are all very real and true to life; the bad guys aren't really bad, the good guys aren't squeaky clean.

Rajkumar Gupta, take a bow. You have set a high benchmark for filmmakers in 2011. Hopefully, this is only the starting point. We keep our fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, let's relive an incident that stared us in the face but which we chose to ignore for too long. No One Killed Jessica is a fitting reminder of what is wrong with our society, but also of what is right. Don't miss it.

URL of the article: http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_review-no-one-killed-jessica-is-the-film-to-beat-in-2011_1490682-all
Permission to reprint or copy this article or photo must be obtained from www.3dsyndication.com

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

noe23NuktaacheenqwwwxTimaxOzymandiasU-No-Poo.shona.isomersBeyond_the_Veilswan20sheeeMehak_Luvs_Raniwida

clars IF-Rockerz
clars
clars

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged
Oh my god i better prebook the tickets in advance ,Rani's performance has got me all excited Big smile.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sheeeMehak_Luvs_Rani

Mehak_Luvs_Rani IF-Stunnerz
Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sweet coco

Sorry to jump in Anku and Mahek, but I think everyone should know about the film and def go see it...so if he's promoting the film....good for him! I think it's a story that needed to be told and there are still a lot of ppl who DON'T know what went on with Jessica and her case....realistic films like this hardly get made and if they ppl rather go see some masala flick than watch this! SO I hope everyone and I mean every single sole goes and sees it....so a lot of publicity is a good thing!

But he is de-promoting the movie saying that DO NOT watch itConfused
ibelieveinpink IF-Stunnerz
ibelieveinpink
ibelieveinpink

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Originally posted by sweet coco

But he is de-promoting the movie saying that DO NOT watch itConfused
WHAT?!! I think I totally misread the whole article...I thought he was the one who was texting everyone to watch it!! I guess it must be too painful for him and his family!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Salma2 IF-Dazzler
Salma2
Salma2

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged
wow, it will be a brilliant, no doubts. But I want it to be a hit too.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sheee

Mehak_Luvs_Rani IF-Stunnerz
Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged
Review by Dhruvi shah :

===========================

Well, No One Killed Jessica | They all watched
Posted on 05/01/2011 by Alice| Leave a comment

No One Killed Jessica has undoubtedly been an awaited film. The subject is intriguing, the trailer is promising and the song doesn't leave your head!

Release Date: 7th Jan 2011
Director: Raj Kumar Gupta
Cast: Vidya Balan, Rani Mukerji
Producer: Ronnie Screwvala (UTV Motion Pictures)

During the period of 1999 ' 2006, every time one opened the newspapers in India, s/he came across a snippet carrying news of the Jessica Lall murder case. As time passed by, the articles became confusing and the development convoluted. The result was a general drop in interest rate among citizens. In 2006, the verdict was out and the accused Manu Sharma was let free.

The film, No One Killed Jessica attempts to make a cinematic representation of the events surrounding this hi-profile case and trace the journey of these characters. We can now safely say it succeeds.

In the introductory titles, Rani Mukerji's voice-over describes the administrative capital of the country, Delhi and importance and abuse of power in the city. One can't even avail an application to a government office without influence, she states.

As an audience, you witness a model bartender being shot, her sister pursuing the murder case, trials and tribulations that ensue and the final court hearing. And despite knowing what you see to be the truth, you can't do nothing. Raj Kumar Gupta, director, screenplay and dialogue writer establishes this predicament beautifully. Thousands of informed citizens, 300 witnesses, 7 willing to testify and yet, no one could send Manu Sharma to jail.

Vidya Balan delivers a stellar performance as Jessica Lall's sister, Sabrina Lall. You choke when she gasps for the first time on hearing of her sister's injury. While her journey proceeds, your emotions are wrung too. Eventually, you can't help but well up with tears on watching her break down. It has to be one of the finest roles she has essayed.

Taking the performance a notch higher is the interaction between Vidya Balan and Rani Mukerji. Their scene has to be the one with the most impact. At that point in the film, Meera (Rani Mukerji) delivers a necessary paradigm shift. The audience and Sabrina (a central character) is made to realize that the events so far haven't been a personal battle, instead, they have been a fight for justice. Following closely is a flashback scene of Jessica that couldn't have been more aptly timed. Watch out for it.

Rani Mukerji is back with a bang, ladies and gentlemen. She pulls off with gusto an adamant character, a modern day journalist who won't stop for nothing. She is the show stealer adding the required charm and literally lighting up the screen with her acting chops.

As is already made clear in one of the title slides, the content is influenced by several media reports and articles. A special thanks has been delivered to Tehelka who performed the sting on important witnesses. However, of most importance here is the script that brings together all the available facts and fictionalises what is necessary. The presentation is not that of a docu-drama. It is, instead a cinematic episode that unfolds with passion and vigour. You will appreciate the emphatic presentation of a series of events you were merely acquainted with.

http://alicewandering.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/well-no-one-killed-jessica-they-all-watched/

Edited by Mehak_Luvs_Rani - 05 January 2011 at 8:06am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

NuktaacheenajoonixTimaxOzymandias* Unnati *sheee

Agent007 Senior Member
Agent007
Agent007

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged

Faridoon_S

Lots of respect to Vidya Balan...a very very special performance in NOKJ till interval....

No One Killed Jessica expertly balances d facts with d fiction of d Jessica Lal murder case n the end result is a thot provoking thriller...

Its an effortless mix of stark realism wid cerebral entrtainment aided by smart-ass dialoguebaazi.Yes d pace is slow n it cud hav been taut.

While d big ticket directors delve in needless 'Shoshebaazi', Raj Kumar Gupta sticks 2 d context n stays honest 2 it 4 most parts..

Rani's character is loosely based on Barkha Dutt,d Kargil Heroine (Bad timing considering Dutt's plight 2day).But Rani rocks n how!!!

Vidya Balan continues 2 scale heights of excellence in d greats of Indian cinema.She brings many a lump-in-d-throat moments.Outstanding!!!

Amit Trivedi's music n background score is fantastic n a big plus point.Support cast is very good.Camera work is excellent...

No One Killed Jessica is an important film wid d pertinent message on Judicial reforms in India. Do catch it n light a candle 4 gud cinema..

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

NuktaacheenSalma2xTimaxajooniOzymandiassheee.shona.widaMehak_Luvs_Rani

Go to top