Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

NO ONE KILLED JESSICA - REVIEWS (Page 44)

-Mmmmm- IF-Veteran Member
-Mmmmm-
-Mmmmm-

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged
Shobhaa De's Review of NOKJ

Jessica lives…!

It's really a sign of our times that public memory has become so alarmingly short, and reference points virtually non-existent. I watched 'Jessica' on a Saturday night and was happy to observe a nearly packed hall in a popular multiplex. But ….I didn't see too many youngsters. Yes, I guess they have far better things to do on a Saturday night than watch a non-masala film about a cause celebre they know nothing about. The two young girls with me were curious up to a point, but from their frequent questions and occasional BBMs, it was obvious they weren't clued in, nor were they particularly interested. They were there to watch a good film … period. During the interval, I asked them what they thought of the movie and they asked innocently, "But who is Jessica…?" I could forgive them easily for the faux pas when I reminded myself that the Jessica story is over ten years old. These girls were around ten themselves at the time – how would they know …and why should they care? The more important issue is simply this: did the movie work as powerful cinema, devoid of recall or emotional baggage? The answer is a disappointing 'no'. The script is weak and patchy, with the first half crawling along painfully, establishing nothing more than Vidya Balan's morose mood. Vidya , who plays Jessica's sister Sabrina, is projected as a gloomy , angry, bitter woman mourning her sister's callous murder, while moping around a home that is dark and depressing itself, dressed like a dish rag. Paradoxically, the popular perception of the real life Sabrina is that of an attractive, feisty fighter without whose spirited intervention, the Jessica murder would have been like Aarushi's – perfect.No suspects, no motives, no arrests.
The weakest link in the film is the role of Manu Sharma, the convicted murderer of Jessica – had the film maker (Ram Kumar Gupta) spent more time giving the audience a slightly more complete backgrounder to the scoundrel, people may have connected better with the story. Instead, what we get is a Babe Film – one ( Rani), a foul mouthed, promiscuous , self styled bitch who takes pride in spewing cuss words liberally and wears her official 'bitch status' as a badge of honour ( her maid calls her a 'kutti' – and the audience cheers!). The other ( Vidya), a droopy, expressionless , sexless crusader who goes about her commitment glumly and mechanically. There is no passion in her mission, nothing fierce about her desire to vindicate her sister's murder. The others are mere caricatures… almost childishly etched – from President Kalam and Manmohan Singh to Bina Ramani and Sheila Dixit. The only well written roles belong to the actor playing Shyan Munshi, and the investigating cop. To come to the babes – what can they do if the director sees their characters in a particular way . Rani and Vidya are both seasoned professionals and do the best they can with the material. Rani puts in the more flamboyant performance as a Barkha Dutt clone ( poor Prannoy Roy must have squirmed at his own cameo). Rani's 'sheershasan' scene and the one in which she jumps on to the bonnet of her chief editor's car, are terrific moments that lift this rather lack luster film from sinking into a tiresome, preachy, verbose docu- drama ( agonizingly turgid court scenes). Given the powerful subject, a more authoritative director could have made a deeply disturbing film chronicling contemporary history in a more engaging way. I came away savouring the few and far between flashes of a newbie called Myra , who plays Jessica with verve and freshness. Had there been more of Myra in the movie, it might have kept more people in the audience absorbed and awake.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

qwww-iktaara-NuktaacheenperfectlyflawedBeyond_the_Veil

Cutiepie Rani IF-Stunnerz
Cutiepie Rani
Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Originally posted by Cutiepie Rani

mehak did u read my review? :D

Ofcourse my Cutie,it was friggin awesomeBig smile

Thanks. I don't think many people read it. :(
Mehak_Luvs_Rani IF-Stunnerz
Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged
New Year Jinx Smashed By No One Killed Jessica- Planet Bollywood Special Correspondant

For a while now the first Friday of the New Year used to be considered a very inauspicious time for releasing new films.

In fact many prestigious films moved away to the third or fourth week of January for the fear of being rejected by the audience.

However, this year saw the release the Rani-Vidya starrer, 'No One Killed Jessica', and if the super opening weekend (given the limited budget and mounting) of 13.25 crore is anything to go by, the film is already a success and still has enough firepower to achieve more laurels! The icing on the cake is that the film has also done very well in Overseas. :clap: :clap:

Here's hoping that from 2012 we stop hearing about this New Year jinx.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

qwwwNuktaacheensheeewida

Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by trouble_maker

BRILLIANT movie! I'm not at all familiar with the actual Jessica case...but did the case really go all the way up to Presidential levels? Must say, very inspiring!

Just some random comments...where was the slow motion heroic walk? The part where she calls up Additi? Itna to dramatic hona allowed hai now :P Its a movie catering to masses after all.
I was expecting Meera to swear SO much more...going by the promo and some reviews. So yeah that was a surprise to me ... people swear SOO much more than this ... 
Acting was top-notch. Both were brilliant...but being a biased fan I am, I liked Rani's more. Sabrina... at times, couldn't move me as much as she should've I felt. I also really liked the guy who played Vikram...portrayed his character very well, esp in the bits towards the end.
And a highlight of the movie has to be the music. Amit Trivedi ClapYou're renewing my interest in BW music...first Uraan and now this. Even the background music was just superb!! Amazing stuff!

As a Rani fan, I wanted this movie to do well, she needed a hit...but after watching it, must say it deserves every bit of success its getting..and more. Well done NOJK team! Clap

***SPOILER****

According to members,the slo-mo scene is the climax scene when Rani is going away from the graveyard in slow motionApprove I personally found it completely fine LOL!
Cutiepie Rani IF-Stunnerz
Cutiepie Rani
Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged
who's that guy rani makes out with? *drools*

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged
^Karan Mehra :P This one :P

ibelieveinpink IF-Stunnerz
ibelieveinpink
ibelieveinpink

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged
^OMG!! I love that guy...he's so lucky...he gets to be opposite Rani!!! 

BTW: B what pg is your review on?!
turqoisedress IF-Stunnerz
turqoisedress
turqoisedress

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged
For the first time in my life, I think I actually kind of agree with Shobha De. Shocked

*SPOILERS*
@Mehak_Luvs_Rani
But she's a news journalist in Delhi (where as she said in the beginning, power is everything). How can she not even consider the fact that he's a politician's son and thus can escape? I thought it was common sense..

She shows no interest or care in anything to do with the case..tells Aditi off when Aditi says witnesses are turning hostile, turns the TV off when Sabrina's interview is going on, doesn't want to follow the case in any which way until he's aquitted. What really confused me was does she really, truly care or is it finally a good story now?..

How can she show no interest whatsoever and then suddenly jump on her boss's car demanding to let her take up the case? I personally would have prefered a more gradual change..it was too abrupt for me..

Go to top