Ok thought i'd share my review to.
I would give this movie at 3.5/5
Before watching the movie, I was very excited and anxious to know what happened with Jessica Lal, I was 9 years old in 1999 and had never heard of her before. So this movie was definatly a eye opener and freaked me out a little bit as it was based on a true story.
Things I liked:
1) The way they showed the whole scene of what actually happened to Jessica on the night, I thought that scene was very real and well played by the actress who portrayed Jessica, for a moment I paused and felt the fear of being in between so many people yet not having any support and being killed. It was a true a eye opener, and time to think about what she could've done in that case to save her life.
2) I liked some of the details they showed of what her family went through and she was just like any other girl in this world who didnt deserve to die.
3) The fact that two women for the first time lead a story on their own and showed it in a powerful manner.
4) The court scenes felt real, the lawyers and the look of the scene was excellent, the police scenes were really good too.
5) After a long long long time, I have watched a movie, normally I dont waste 3 hours on a movie this is the first I've seen and it had no sex, no item songs, no romance, but it was filled with reality and emotions and a story to be inspired from.
6) I loved the end part where Rani said the power went to who it belonged to and it was the PUBLIC, wish the media, the government and all other powerful people would understand this theory that the public is what makes them and when we go against them, they're
. I liked this dialouge and i hope everyone hearing it understands the meaning of it too as there is too much dictatorship in our politicians these day along with ofcourse corruption.
Things I didnt like:
1) some of the scenes were incomplete, like they jump the story from one scene to another without giving the audience the time to think or react or understand what actually is happening, examples such as the parents in the hospital when the mother died and father collapsed.....sometimes it didnt make sense and sometimes more detail was required.
2) Throughout the 2 hours Rani's character doesnt give a damn about Jessica Lal and/or Sabrina and all of a sudden there is this spirit to show justice to Jessica, I didnt understand how one can jump from one emotion to another in such a short span of time, they should've gradually showed her taking interest in the movie from the begining not all of a sudden, as she had a small screenspace, she jumping all of a sudden felt a bit out of place.
3) Meera's SWEARING!!!!!!!! Seriously was it neccessary to swear in ever sentence??? I mean yes sometimes we swear, we all do, when we are annoyed or joking, but to do it in every sentence you speak is just showing one to have no manner and going to the height of boldness, they shouldnt make this a trend in india and it didnt suit a professional to speak in such a language
If you ever visit the BBC or Channel 4 in UK you will not come across big reporters and journalists swearing like her, its ill mannered, and was it neccessary to smoke? Media portrayal was good and strong in terms of passing the message around and bring the public together to make a difference to the case and bring justice but then again I wasnt impressed with the way Meera came across as so arrogant and ignorant at times.
Having said that however, if we could look at the other side of it, the director and even Rani did say it was a portrayal of all the reporters and media in India are there were several involved so it maybe why she was shown in all shades.
4)The owner of the restuarent kept weeping and crying like a idiot, that was very irratating on a personal level.
5) The politicians wife was funny
she cracked me up so much, every scene she would pop up, in the last scene i thought her husband would hit her but he only shut the door in front of her
6) At times you feel confused of cant hear what the background voice is saying, I guess it was rani's, I could clearly understand the song but didnt understand rani's words, sometimes she mumbled and some of the scenes in the dark also made it annoying for to understand what was going on, but i guess maybe cause i was watching it online.
As you can see my negatives and my positives are equal so I gave it a 3.5 in between. But at the end of all this critising all I have to say to those who havent seen it, ITS WORTH SEEING!! not only to realise what jessica went through that night but also to see sabrina's pain and what powerful people can do to simple citizens, it was not Jessica's fault to be shot like that and her killer to roaming around the city with no guilt or fear. It is also a lesson for us to think about how we could keep ourselves safe when we go to these clubs and bars. You feel and you imagine the emotions and pain one goes through. Rani and Vidya were fantastic!!! As someone said before, glad rani is doing more roles other then Yash Raj ones.
Btw I saw this movie online, didnt go to the cinemas.
Edited by SidRidARSHFan - 09 January 2011 at 12:32pm