Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

NO ONE KILLED JESSICA - REVIEWS (Page 36)

ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 2:04pm | IP Logged
@CZ me definitely want to read ur reviewBig smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Mehak_Luvs_Rani IF-Stunnerz
Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 2:05pm | IP Logged
^I dunno where did she go LOL
U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
so I finally watched it after days of anticipation, excitement and endless waiting. before I start with the review, I have to mention that the jessica lall case had both intrigued and bothered me a lot.  the fact that it took our judicial system 7 years to deliver justice to the right place is a testament to the corruption and power abuse that exists in our country.

film cuts right to the chase after a brief introduction by rani and we're shown the events that occurred that night as reconstructed by the director. manu sharma enters with his two chamche and when is repeatedly denied a drink by jessica lall, shoots her there and then. 

this particular scene has been handled extremely well by gupta and even though you know she's going to be shot, you gasp when the shot is actually fired.

what follows is a prolonged, helpless and fruitless journey to seek justice for jessica by sabrina, her sister, at the end of which she is left with nothing but injustice and years of wasted effort. inspite of the fact that it was widely known that manish sharma had killed jessica, he was still acquitted because power can buy anything and anyone. 

enter meera, a feisty reporter who paid no heed to this particular case because according to her, it was an open and shut case and had no potential. but when manu sharma is let lose, she decides to take it up and make sure that jessica gets justice.

the film is not a downright reconstruction of facts, as stated by a disclaimer right in the beginning. it has been dramatized to an appropriate scale and to reach out to the entertainment loving masses. the rich and elite section of delhi has been spoofed and caricatured many times and this film too, unabashedly and directly makes fun of this uppity, haughty and pretentious section of the society. 

there is also a spoof on the 'bhartiya naari'. manish sharma's mother, who appears on screen only three times, has just one thing to say - 'kuchh bhi karo, mere monu ko kuchh nahi hona chahiye'. it pretty much sums up the role of the 'bhartiya naari' in such situations. you have a power hungry, corrupt politician, his conceited son who abuses his father's power without blinking an eye, and his trophy of a wife who only makes tea for the visitors.

it may sound like a slight exaggeration, but this is pretty much how the larger picture looks like. some people might find this jarring but for me, it was almost as though an unflattering mirror had been transfixed right in front of the 'delhiites' in general to show them what a dysfunctional of a society they live in.

coming to the performances, vidya balan is terrific as the determined, strong willed sister of jessica. she is someone who personifies 'silent strength'. the last scene where she breaks down is simply heart breaking and does make you a bit emotional. 

I had been eagerly waiting for rani's role to come into the limelight and when it did, it was nothing short of an absolute delight. she's definitely the stereotypical strong woman, yes, but rani delivers such an amazing performance that the 'stereotype' bit is put aside for that little while. she, in her own words, wasn't just 'explosive', she was f*cking explosive. 

the girl who played jessica - myra, was a pleasant surprise and played her part quite well. the rest of the cast was brilliant. I loved the performance of the police inspector - he might as well could have been a real one, some of the witnesses like shankar, I can't remember the name of the man who keeps saying 'maa kasam' but his performance, though short, was great. the actor who played manu sharma was terrific. you really feel disgust and hatred towards this chicken of a man.

music and background score by amit trivedi takes the film to an entirely different level. it grows on you real fast and gives goosebumps during some moments.

overall, this film is powerful, moving yet enjoyable. it gives an insight into the raw and nasty face of a city that was, is and will continue to be drowned in power. criminals are politicians and politicians are criminals. murder is just a second away and rape is merely a leisure activity. 'jugaad' is the motto that the city thrives upon, 'money' is the benchmark to judge a person's importance and 'connections' is a pre requisite to be able to live here.

the film has some unnecessary parts that could have been chopped off and the bad acting by some of the witnesses is jarring. the slow 'motion' walk by rani could have been done away with too. apart from these points, there were not too many lose ends, IMO.

3.5/5 (:

Edited by CZ.. - 08 January 2011 at 3:02pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

ladygagasheee.shona.swan20OzymandiasperfectlyflawedTani91Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged
BRILLIANT REVIEW Neetz! Fkingly explosive LOL

But,

the slow 'motion' walk by rani

When was this?Stern Smile

Edited by Mehak_Luvs_Rani - 08 January 2011 at 2:55pm
U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mehak_Luvs_Rani

But,

not like amitabh bacchan LOL she does a slow motion walk in the end, no?

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Mehak_Luvs_Rani
Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by CZ..

Originally posted by Mehak_Luvs_Rani

But,

not like amitabh bacchan LOL she does a slow motion walk in the end, no?

**SPOILER**

Oh the climax you mean?LOL

Goodness,I was like did they cut this scene? LOL

No dude,I thought it added onto the intensity of the whole scene! I really liked the scene especially when Rani looks at Vidya when she says Thank you to her! I LOVEDDD Rani's expressions there.

U-No-Poo

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 3:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ruky786

@CZ me definitely want to read ur reviewBig smile

posted! Big smile
U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged
@mehak - I loved the climax, I really did. and yes, in retrospect, the 'walk' does add to the intensity of the film but it seemed a tad bit 'heroic'. It didn't particularly bother me but I would have been happier had it not been there =)

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Go to top