Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

NO ONE KILLED JESSICA - REVIEWS (Page 32)

zoyah Goldie
zoyah
zoyah

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged
acting was good buttt the storyyy didnt had anything realll it wasnt about jessica case 

-Rinki- IF-Sizzlerz
-Rinki-
-Rinki-

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged
I loved the movie. after AGES, I saw a movie which had everything. The movie has got something in it which makes you glued to your seats LOL I didn't even care to go buy popcorn for myself. ROFL
The movie's really good & it surely is a must watch! Haha, over here where I live, they didn't even censor anything LOL Hahaha.
Wonderful acting by the 2 ladies, I think this would be the best movie Vidya has done so far. The movie is a really good one. The first half was amazing, 2nd half could have been edited at parts but thats alright.
uhh, loved it.

Edited by Pari_Rinki - 07 January 2011 at 4:08pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

clarsIHeartDeepika.sheeeU-No-Poo.shona.isomerseraserMehak_Luvs_Rani

-Mmmmm- IF-Veteran Member
-Mmmmm-
-Mmmmm-

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 5:42pm | IP Logged

Poignant Effort

Minty Tejpal

Posted On Saturday, January 08, 2011 at 02:05:38 AM

No one killed jessica
Director :
Raj Kumar Gupta
Actors : Rani Mukerji, Vidya Balan, Myra, Rajesh Sharma
Run time : 140 mins
Certification : A
Rating : * * *

In a nation witness to senseless violence ever since its very inception, the Jessica Lal case has become a cause clbre. There are many specific reasons for this.

The very public nature of the shocking crime, the lack of any motive, the high society people involved, the naked subversion of justice, the public anger, the detailed sting investigation, the dramatic re-trial, and the eventual sentencing.

Justice was served, and the underdog actually won, making this a heart-rending, triumphant story. Yet the film, No One Killed Jessica Lal, though somber and gritty, doesn't become a triumphant story. Sure, it's a well written, dramatic re-telling, but somewhere it becomes a bit filmy and flamboyant, which is a pity.

Vidya Balan plays Sabrina Lal, while Rani Mukerji plays Meera, a TV journalist with NDTV who covered the Kargil war. Hmm, wonder who that is. The first half, which tracks the story from the killing to the incredible acquittal of Manu Sharma, through the years 1999-2006, is taut and gripping.

Vidya's anger and silence at the incredible injustice, the corruption in the police, the use of brute power to subvert justice, the court sequences, are all well handled by the director. Actually, the two leading ladies have no scenes together, while Vidya follows her lonely path, Rani is playing a super woman reporter scoffing at this silly model killing story.

The ambitious Rani only gets into the act when the killer is acquitted. In the second half, the story gets a bit stretched in the telling, specially the investigative bits, with more needless drama, rather than pure fact. However, unlike the real story, the film doesn't peak dramatically enough, leaving you very sombre, and a bit limp at the end.

At the beginning of NOKJ, a title slate announces that the film is a mix of fact and fiction, which detail ultimately robs the film of some of its integrity. This is not a period film it's a riveting drama that unfolded in full glare of the media and public.

Every little detail, right from the iconic Times of India headline to the dramatic re-trial, is based on real events. Yet the film suggests that NDTV broke the key investigative story, when in fact it was Tehelka that stung the key witnesses, which led to a public uproar.

I know because I was personally involved in the Tehelka sting operation, which was led by veteran journalist Shammy Baweja. In fact I plotted to trap key witness, actor Shayan Munshi, and made the phone call offering him the fake film role.

NOKJ has great music, specially the edgy title track, by the talented Amit Trivedi, is well written and very well cast. Vidya Balan once again excels in a brave role, dressing down and playing a dowdy, ordinary girl caught in extra-ordinary circumstances.

Rani is treated like a hero with a dramatic entry and even her own slow motion sequences. Though sharp, Rani tends to over do her smutty, bitchy Barkha act. New girl Myra, who plays Jessica, is vivacious, while Rajesh Sharma is outstanding as the police Inspector.

Zeeshan Ayub does a good job of playing the venal Manu Sharma, while both actors playing Sabrina's parents are searing in their mute helplessness. Though certainly worth a watch, the emotional pitch of this fiction remains below what really happened, in fact.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged
Saw the movie. Here are my views

- I knew all along what was going to happen but still screenplay was good enough to maintain my attention.

-The only job of Jessica in the movie was giggle and flounce her hair apart from a few random scenes.

-I was confused on where the heart of the movie was- the media struggle? sabrina's struggle? justice for jessica? Everything felt incomplete.

-Why should a bold woman scream and shout always? Is that the way journalists/bold women behave? That stereotyping was weird. Rani was screaming half the movie.

-Vidya talks in the same tone throughout the movie(like those computer generated voices). The only time she is shown screaming is muted with some other BGM. Other than her voice, her acting was fabulous!

-I like the poor actor who plays ram jethmalani. He screamed at many journalists for the trial by media.

-The expose was done by Tehelka. The audio tapes were received by NDTV. They are attributing everything to NDTV and giving credit to tehelka in the end. That was misleading. apart from ndtv a host of other channels deserve credit as well.

- the Background Music was FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The characters(even with their reel names) were very very identifiable! The socialite with the gora husband and daughter..

- They did dramatise a LOT!!Artistic freedom I imagine. I am not sure how well the people involved are going to take this.

-Unless I missed the last few minutes, I think they didnt show the actual final sentencing of Manu sharma. That, if shown, would have been nice.

RIP Jessica

Edited by bandicoot - 07 January 2011 at 8:21pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

ladygagaclarsfriends_rockisomersperfectlyflawedMehak_Luvs_Rani

MissIffiy IF-Rockerz
MissIffiy
MissIffiy

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged
Here is some of them in one place for those like me who hate review threads because you got 
go through so much pages Unhappy

*Just Click to Read More*

bollywoodhungama.com 4/5 In times of yore, a lot of films have been attempted on real-life incidents, but haven't struck a chord so effectively. NO ONE KILLED JESSICA should shatter this jinx. This heroic and daring film truly deserves a prolonged applause. 
Aniruddha Guha dnaindia.com 4/5 Meanwhile, let's relive an incident that stared us in the face but which we chose to ignore for too long. No One Killed Jessica is a fitting reminder of what is wrong with our society, but also of what is right. Don't miss it.
Sukanya Venkatraghavan Filmfare unrated There is courage in Vidya's frumpiness (was so much of it necessary though) and audacity in Rani's understanding of her character. They pull out all stops.
Gaurav malani TOI unrated Rajkumar Gupta shows absolute conviction in bringing to life one of the most significant murder-case convictions in the history of India. No one miss this cinema!
Savera Someshwar rediff.com 3.5/5 It's because this film could have been 'something more.' For example, there are people who will love Rani Mukerji in this film, but both her character and her performance could have been better.
Nikhat Kazmi Times of India 4/5 The film has an impeccable first half and could do with some editing in the second half. But the high drama, the arresting performances and the spunky audio track (Amit Trivedi) make NOKJ a memorable viewing. 
Anupama Chopra NDTV 3/5 This uneasy mix of truth and creative license; subtle notes and heavy-handedness make for an uneven film that in places seems stretched unnecessarily. That said, No One Killed Jessica is several notches ahead of the tripe we've been subjected to in theatres lately.
Minty Tejpal Mumbai Mirror 3/5 Though certainly worth a watch, the emotional pitch of this fiction remains below what really happened, in fact.
Rajeev Masand CNN IBN 2.5/5 No One Killed Jessica isn't a bad film; it's just a disappointing one from a filmmaker who showed such promise with his debut film Aamir. This one falls short.
Sanjukta Sharma Livemint.com unrated No One Killed Jessica is a film of stilted possibilities'it can't define a genre or even pass off as a competent piece of film-making. For a watch, the two ladies holding fort is the only abiding reason.
Gautam Chintamani Buzzintown.com 3/5 It's not simple murder mystery but also offers a fleeting look at how we failed as a civil society in dealing with the guilty who didn't stop from ending someone's life for a drink. 

Edited by MissIffiy - 07 January 2011 at 8:36pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

clarsMehak_Luvs_Rani

isomers IF-Sizzlerz
isomers
isomers

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged
^^ I just watched it and I agree. It was dramatized! But then again, if they had made it into a documentary..it would not have been as successful as it is now.

The movie seemed to jump points of view and it became a bit incoherent. Like one minute, it was about how Sabrina was struggling with the case and the next it was about something else. Whatever point they were trying to make kind of got lost somewhere in the story.

I personally liked the second half better than the first, it was more fast paced in comparison.
The court case was good, that was the best scene in the movie, imo.

I might sound like a downer with this..but I actually disliked the way Meera kept cursing to prove her points. I mean, just because she was supposed to be shown as a strong and bold woman, doesn't mean she has to use foul language to get her way. Like when she was flicking off the guy, I was like what? I didn't even see the need to do that. I felt they were trying to generalize the other strong women with her personality..meh. I know it's a movie..not everything is perfect.

Acting wise, there were times where I felt Vidya was a bit dull but overall..she was amazing. She didn't have many dialogues though :/

It was a good movie, definitely worth a watch. There was not one time where my attention slipped. It's like you know exactly what is going to happen but you want to watch to find out how it is going to happen. I'll give it a 3.5/5!

p.s. I particularly liked one part in the court scene where the lawyer goes "ab toh neeche aao bhai!" to the guy that says he was on the terrace during the shooting.LOL

Edited by -Nitya- - 09 January 2011 at 12:34am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

ladygagaclarsperfectlyflawedfriends_rockpetticoatMehak_Luvs_Rani

-Mala- Goldie
-Mala-
-Mala-

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged
Thanks MissIffy!
clars IF-Rockerz
clars
clars

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged
surprsing the critics are not very generous in their Reviews ,although the audience is giving it a Thumbs up .all those is Mumbai check out the FM channels to hear the audience reactions Clap.most of the poeple have only good things to say about the movie although many feel it should have been edited a bit in the second half .infcat headlines today Said in Bold "Rani Makies a Rocking comeback'Big smile the crtics have given vidya a Thumbs up but the audience liked Rani's role more

Go to top