Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

NO ONE KILLED JESSICA - REVIEWS (Page 28)

Cutiepie Rani IF-Stunnerz
Cutiepie Rani
Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh everything's been so positive about the film so far! so excited!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sheeeMehak_Luvs_Rani

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged
I don't know about other places, but the halls are filling up quite fast here. I'm going tomorrow night but I had to books tickets this morning. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sheeeCutiepie Rani

Cutiepie Rani IF-Stunnerz
Cutiepie Rani
Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by CZ..

I don't know about other places, but the halls are filling up quite fast here. I'm going tomorrow night but I had to books tickets this morning. 

i want a GIGANTIC review from your side! Tongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged

if I had other worries in my life, then I won't watch a movie in the first place LOL I wouldn't go and watch a film if I have a nasty fight with my mom - I'd be too busy crying and wallowing in self pity LOL

LOLLOL   kiddo, mom se nasty fights nahin karte... buri baat hai...!   Tongue

well, there is a major part of the audience who watches movies as a stress buster... like after the exams, to get away from their everday routine, etc.... that's why most comedies do well, not only in India, but also overseas... laughter therapy and all that, you see...!   Wink

ladygaga

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Nuktaacheen

if I had other worries in my life, then I won't watch a movie in the first place LOL I wouldn't go and watch a film if I have a nasty fight with my mom - I'd be too busy crying and wallowing in self pity LOL

LOLLOL   kiddo, mom se nasty fights nahin karte... buri baat hai...!   Tongue

well, there is a major part of the audience who watches movies as a stress buster... like after the exams, to get away from their everday routine, etc.... that's why most comedies do well, not only in India, but also overseas... laughter therapy and all that, you see...!   Wink

I agree with you, but there is class in comedy as well. the recent 'comedy' flicks churned out by bollywood are neither funny nor classy, but people still flock to watch them in theaters. attach the akshay kumar or katrina kaif tag to any X, Y, Z film and the crowds will move towards the theaters like a tsunami wave. 

plus they don't make good comedy films anymore. I miss the era of angoor, satte pe satta, golmaal (old) etc. now they were real comedy films. 

Nuktaacheen

turqoisedress IF-Stunnerz
turqoisedress
turqoisedress

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged

Movie Review: No One Killed Jessica
(Social)
Anupama Chopra, Consulting Editor, Films, NDTV
Friday, January 07, 2011
Share this on Rediff.com  SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend Print A+   A-
Movie Review: No One Killed Jessica
Cast: Rani Mukherjee, Vidya Balan, Myra Karn
Music: Amit Trivedi
Director: Rajkumar Gupta
Producer: Ronnie Screwvala

Pics:Stars at No One Killed Jessica Premiere

No One Killed Jessica is a dramatisation of the Jessica Lall murder in 1999 and the tumultuous events that followed including the botched up court case, the verdict, which allowed prime accused Manu Sharma to walk free and the ensuing public outcry, which eventually forced a retrial and a sentence of life imprisonment.

The Jessica Lall murder was a watershed event and Gupta uses this rich material to create a film that is in places, powerful and moving. But it's also loud, simplistic and somewhat schizophrenic in tone. It's almost as though the director couldn't decide on the right pitch and decided to marry understated realism with bombastic drama.

The first is personified by Vidya Balan, who plays Sabrina, Jessica's beleaguered sister who fights in vain, against the might of Manu Sharma, a powerful politician's son. Unlike her glamorous, party-girl sister, Sabrina is painfully plain and sober. Wearing drab clothes and spectacles, Vidya is a portrait of anguish and strength.

The other stand-out actor is Rajesh Sharma, who plays the cop on Jessica's case. In one brutal scene, he tells Sabrina about the bribe he has taken. When she looks shocked, he simply says: Sab koi khata hai, kaun si duniya mein reheti hain aap?

With a relentlessly moving camera, Gupta ably captures the layers of power and how ruthlessly and swiftly the powerless are silenced. Unfortunately however, he is unable to bring the same nuanced focus to the media, who played a pivotal role in resurrecting the Jessica Lall case.

For me, the fatal, false note in No One Killed Jessica is Meera, the fictionalised tough-talking reporter played by Rani Mukherjee. Meera is a strong, independent woman who, at least in this version, single-handedly prods the establishment into reviewing the case. So she smokes, swears and has sex.

The character is written superficially and Rani's portrayal of her is equally banal. It's all about externals. She argues a lot and proudly labels herself a bitch but her hair stays perfectly in place and in the end, she even gets to do a super-hero-like slow motion walk.

Gupta begins No One Killed Jessica with the disclaimer that it is a hybrid of fact and fiction but in places the fictions rankle.

The film shows that NDTV conducted critical sting operations, including one on an actor who became a hostile witness in court. This was actually done by the newsmagazine Tehelka. This uneasy mix of truth and creative license; subtle notes and heavy-handedness make for an uneven film that in places seems stretched unnecessarily.

That said, No One Killed Jessica is several notches ahead of the tripe we've been subjected to in theatres lately.

I'm going with three stars.

Read more at: http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_Review.aspx?id=585&cp

sheee

turqoisedress IF-Stunnerz
turqoisedress
turqoisedress

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
I'm surprised Anupama Chopra didn't like Rani's performance.

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Cutiepie Rani

i want a GIGANTIC review from your side! Tongue

okie. Big smile 

p.s - how gigantic? LOL

Mehak_Luvs_Rani

Go to top