Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.shona. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
watched it today in the theatre...hopefully will give the review tomorrow..no promisesπŸ˜†
ladygaga thumbnail
Wow this is interesting..  So all those witnesses who lied in the real case are gonna be tried again...

Jessica Lall case: Hostile witnesses to be tried for perjury

NEW DELHI: While the world is busy watching on reel " No one killed Jessica" - the headline immortalized by TOI - there is movement in the case in real life too.

Witnesses, like Bollywood actor Shyan Munshi, who turned hostile during the trial may now be in trouble as the Delhi high court has revived perjury proceedings against them that were till now in cold storage. The development occurred after Delhi Police recently submitted in HC a copy of the Supreme Court verdict convicting prime accused Manu Sharma for murder. Seeking resumption of perjury (lying on oath) case against the witnesses, which include ballistic experts Roop Singh and Prem Sagar, electrician Shiv Shankar Dass amongst others, standing counsel Pawan Sharma informed HC that SC hasn't dropped proceedings against them. Therefore, HC can now begin hearing the case. Following the submission, HC has posted the matter for February 18.

In its 2006 verdict reversing the trial court acquittal, HC had asked the hostile witnesses before it to explain why they shouldn't be charged with perjury. Later, the court put the proceedings - at the preliminary stage of issuance of notice - on hold because SC was seized of the matter. But the judges had made it clear the outcome of Manu's appeal would decide what happens to perjury proceedings against Munshi and others. "If he gets free you go free, if he is convicted you will be in trouble," the bench had quipped.

Senior advocate Aman Lekhi, representing Munshi, said his client never committed any perjury and no case is made out. "The Delhi HC and the Supreme Court relied on Munshi's statements to convict Manu Sharma. The proceedings against Munshi is wholly untenable and completely devoid of any justification. The perjury notice ignores settled principles of law. Certain contradictions in the statements given to police and the court do not make him a hostile witness or a dishonest one. Perjury charges are not made out. It will be challenged," Lekhi countered.

The SC verdict had spawned strong demands for prosecuting those who turned hostile during the trial. From Jessica's sister Sabrina Lall to socialite Bina Ramani to retired Delhi high court judge Justice R S Sodhi, all had pitched for revival of HC proceedings against witnesses like Munshi, the person on whose statement the FIR was registered. He later changed his stand in court and introduced the "two gun theory" that led to Manu's acquittal in the trial court.

"You can't allow anyone to come in, tell lies and walk off smiling from court," was Justice Sodhi's reaction after the SC verdict. Sodhi convicted Manu Sharma in HC and initiated the separate perjury proceedings.

I think that's predictible Gaga...cause it's a perjury it's illegal.....
Lying in a court isn't a light thing...so it's only fair that they'll be tried for that matter - that's really serious and a good way to discourage people from lying...at least they could have shut up instead of having sudden amnesia....!
Edited by lalixlili - 13 years ago
ladygaga thumbnail
^^ Lil have you seen the movie?? I hope you watch it.. i wanna read your review..
Not yet..but as soon as I do - I'll be writing my review online..promise...
I don't have high expectations given a comment on the economist :
"
Jan 14th 2011 5:51 GMT

The aftermath of the murder of Jessica Lal was one of the most significant events in the last decade of India because it presented a true test of India's democracy. However, even for such a nuanced and delicate issue, it is no surprise that India's film industry has managed to provide a very superficial and under-researched version of the events. While the performance of Vidya Balan who plays Sabrina Lal is commendable in drawing the true distrust and disgust with a corrupt system, the film's neglect of the details of the case (there was more to the case than the defence lawyer asking the question "are you sure" to every witness at least a dozen times) as well as a telling of the second trial (what made the second trial different, since media attention was instrumental only in reopening the trial) is unfortunate.

Indian film makers are making a few exceptions in the endless entourage of sing a long love stories, but unless they begin to give credit to the attention span and intelligence of a growing percentage of patrons, they will fail to effectively tackle even the simplest of subjects.

"
ladygaga thumbnail
Originally posted by: lalixlili

Not yet..but as soon as I do - I'll be writing my review online..promise...

I don't have high expectations given a comment on the economist :
"
Jan 14th 2011 5:51 GMT

The aftermath of the murder of Jessica Lal was one of the most significant events in the last decade of India because it presented a true test of India's democracy. However, even for such a nuanced and delicate issue, it is no surprise that India's film industry has managed to provide a very superficial and under-researched version of the events. While the performance of Vidya Balan who plays Sabrina Lal is commendable in drawing the true distrust and disgust with a corrupt system, the film's neglect of the details of the case (there was more to the case than the defence lawyer asking the question "are you sure" to every witness at least a dozen times) as well as a telling of the second trial (what made the second trial different, since media attention was instrumental only in reopening the trial) is unfortunate.

Indian film makers are making a few exceptions in the endless entourage of sing a long love stories, but unless they begin to give credit to the attention span and intelligence of a growing percentage of patrons, they will fail to effectively tackle even the simplest of subjects.

"

I think just about everyone is disastisfied with anything bollywood lol.. well in movie making its upto the director as to how they approach a story.. with a minimal budget of 9 crores.. there was't much that could have been done... and then the sensitivy of the case.. so many people involved with the issue.. if they made it overdramatic.. or tried to make some people the villian then it could have seemed that they were exploiting a situation.. if the director wanted to focus on Sabrina's struggle.. more or some other aspect of the story more.. rather than anything else.. then i think it was his choice.. i personally think its a very well made movie.. far far away from the regular masala bolly movie.. yes it has flaws.. but its still a good tribute jessica acc to me..
melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i freakingly loved the movie! it ws amazing! i m no critic , no intellectual... the movie touched my soul, as an Indian , i had tears wen jessica ws killed watching helpless situation of sabrina n her family. i cried wen the justice ws finally given.. i luvd it.. just awesome...

vidya amazinggg, rani superb!
.shona. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
NOKJ - A very decent movie. The 1st half was ruled by vidya, then the 2nd half was ruled by rani. But it would be really unfair if we give these 2 the title of "show-stealer" only. I felt the power of the movie was the ENTIRE ENSEMBLE CAST! I don't know 97% of them yet i can say that NOKJ had one of the best ensemble cast! Right from the girl who played jessica (myra)...she's not only flippin' GORGEOUS but this chick has got some talent! Then the police who helped sabrina throughout, the lawyers (specially the one fighting for jessica), everybody was terrific! πŸ‘

This is one movie that gives you goosebumps right from the sec the movie begins! AH-mazing introduction. Kudos to rajkumar gupta for depicting the whole jessica story sensibly. I never felt it was OTT, it had the right amount of entertainment & facts. The dialogues, songs, simply fantastic! πŸ‘

Now eeehh-ahhh-ing about my rani...i would have to say the movie did justice to her more than she did justice to the movie. She rocked in all scenes, but her making out with some guy looked a bit forced. I felt even though the role didn't suit rani much, it still helped rani prove her versatility.  So a big thanks to NOKJ from my side for having rani back to rule again! Vidya was natural, i actually liked her a teenie tiny bit more. The scenes that showed the  relationship between sabrina-jessica as sisters had me in tears. The confrontation scene between rani-vidya was FLAWLESS! This is what happens when you have a deadly combo of two of the best actresses in town.πŸ‘

It's not the kind of movie where you say it was ROCKING or AWESOMEE OR BINDASS, it's a movie where you simply call it "A MUST WATCH". Even if you don't  like rani or vidya, do watch this movie. Nobody would know what Jessica's family went through, but the depiction in the movie tears your heart. R.I.P Jessica. <3

3 cheers for Rani, Vidya, & Raj Kumar Gupta.
4.5/5 πŸ‘πŸΌ
Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
My Review:

"Time and time again trailers are released, they create hype, we flock to the theatre on release date, and we come back disappointed. So what was it about NOKJ that was different?

'No One Killed Jessica' is a film packed with powerhouse performances, superb dialogue & characterisation, and to top it all off a thrilling soundtrack & background score.

It's fair to say that the makers have done an astonishing job with the marketing of this film. Ever since the trailer was released back in November, not only did Rani's popularity surge into the stratosphere like a NASA rocket; at the same time it enticed movie-goers with a film to look forward to in the new year. The buzz around the film grew in abundance. Credit must also be given to Amit Trivedi for the musical aspect of this promotion - but more on that later."

Click Here To Read The Full Review at 'Ultimate Bollywood Divas blog'
So how much did the film gross?