Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Would Jesus Wear Jeans to Church? (Page 8)

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged
One of the most controversial verses for me in the bible(which I do not follow as well) is that a woman should cover her head in church. In india, they drag the pallu of the saree/dupatta over their head and europeans used hats.

I dont think covering my head is as important as religious beliefs are.

I remember sitting in a new year eve mass where my dad was frowning at a girl dressed in strapless gown. Not jsut my dad, a whole bunch of people were frowning at her. It has to do more with the way society views what is acceptable wear over what a religion dictates. I dont see anyone making a big deal over appropriate church wear atleast in the Midwest.

Da Vinci code is a work of fiction that is terribly messed up.

Edited by bandicoot - 05 January 2011 at 4:13pm

glace-bleue IF-Stunnerz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged

Edited by blue-ice - 15 February 2011 at 10:30pm
debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged
OK, as a lot of you know, I am an atheist. But I would like to put myself in the position of a theist to understand the situation. What is the point of worshiping a heavenly, spiritual entity and a faith that does not give me the basic freedom to choose my own outfits? Besides, what does an outfit have to do with religion anyways?  How do I become less respectful to the gods?

Another thing I would like to say: People always use the infamous example of how Islam restricts the clothing options of women. Islam never imposed anything upon what women should wear(in fact Islam is the most liberal religion in terms of women equality) ie there's no written edict or anything about the veiling of women etc, at least from the ancient religious texts(from what I know). In fact, the burqa and harem are pre-Islamic Persian/Arabic institutions set up by possible chauvinists(this is my assumption), and as the Islamic realm grew into the political sector, the imams etc started incorporating these principles into the religion in order to consolidate their power over the territory. Even the Prophet's great-granddaughter ridiculed the veil and went out in public without the veil, saying that God has given her a pretty face and she desires to show it to everyone.

OK, I have wandered off the topic at hand, so I'll stop here.LOL

Edited by debayon - 05 January 2011 at 6:12pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

return_to_hadesJess.petticoatAngel-likeDevil

Angel-likeDevil IF-Stunnerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bandicoot

One of the most controversial verses for me in the bible(which I do not follow as well) is that a woman should cover her head in church. In india, they drag the pallu of the saree/dupatta over their head and europeans used hats.

I dont think covering my head is as important as religious beliefs are.

I remember sitting in a new year eve mass where my dad was frowning at a girl dressed in strapless gown. Not jsut my dad, a whole bunch of people were frowning at her. It has to do more with the way society views what is acceptable wear over what a religion dictates. I dont see anyone making a big deal over appropriate church wear atleast in the Midwest.

Da Vinci code is a work of fiction that is terribly messed up.

I totally agree with that..

Coming to the topic, I would not like to call it a "religion" if I don't have a freedom to wear what I want Tongue  ..

How does wearing a bikini or a saree affect the faith, spiritual whatever you have in you're heart? This is all imposed by the society and I am not accountable to anyone but me and my mom/dad. I might be "well- dressed" (traditional wear) during occasions or festivals, sometimes because of my mom, or maybe for a change or if the dress looks pretty.. but that doesn't change anything I believe in.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStardebayon

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged

Where any God is worshipped we should have some respect and dress decently; being scantily dressed is a great distraction to some and also disrespect generally.

Sometimes some places of worship are very demanding and we have a choice either to comply or opt out.

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged
I am not against prayer, I am against the ritualistic prayer ....let our gestures be alive, spontaneous...... otherwise, deep down you know that this is a ritual.... deep down you know that this is just a formality you are performing.... n if that is our feeling inside, what is the point of going into it...the probs I feel in these rituals n these dressing or watever system we follow....we have learnt from others who had learnt them from somebody else... they dont know what they are doing..... they don't know what they are teaching us...we go on repeating thm mechanically, robot like...I am not against rules and ritual bt the rules should arise out of our understanding...I just wanna say let our own awareness decide our life style, lifepattern...... Don't allow anybody else to decide it!Smile

Edited by Believe - 05 January 2011 at 10:34pm
DemonStar IF-Sizzlerz
DemonStar
DemonStar

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:03am | IP Logged
Like mentioned in the previous posts, I think that the issues regarding the dress code in a religious context has more to do with individual social/cultural issues than what the religion itself asks for. It greatly varies with the person you talk to. I see several people coming to our temple in casual clothing and nobody objects; at the same time, I know some people are against any kind of non-traditional attire in any situation. 

IMO the purpose of having a simplistic dress code in places of worship has a kind of psychological element in it - simple living and high thinking is considered to be a valuable aid in advancing spiritual progress and therefore the person could be capable of entering a better state of mind in which this can be achieved. That said, I don't think it is a necessity. I don't think it matters whether I wear jeans or a kurta while praying, as long as I reach the intended goal. As a Hindu, I believe God is everywhere, and in everything. Even in dress, whether it is traditional wear or modern clothing, He's in everything. Then why would praying to Him in a modern outfit be offensive? It has everything to do with our own mental state and nothing with offense to God. Things like this are of a lesser importance compared to what the true purpose of worship is, and the actual faith and conduct of the person and that's what people should be concerned about rather than their dress! 

Regarding that controversy over the fella depicting Lord Krishna in a modern dress, I'd say the people overreacted. And it's sad because an entire religious community gets a bad reputation due to acts like this. While I do think that there's nothing wrong if people stand up for their religion when genuinely needed (otherwise, anyone can do any disrespectful act and get away with it), I don't really think that the priest did anything disrespectful enough to warrant such an uproar. Though I can't see what spiritual symbolism he finds in Shri Krishna holding a cellphone. LOL
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged
I used to see a couple that would bring their dog to the Shiva Temple too, this of course did upset a few devotees.
I am easy about it, so long as the they are under control.
In fact in some places some of the kids running around and making noise are more of a nuisance.
Dress code should be more respectable and not too revealing for both men and women.

Edited by Summer3 - 06 January 2011 at 7:34pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStar

Go to top