Would Jesus Wear Jeans to Church? - Page 5

Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by Summer3

In Philippines they often use the name Jesus for themselves
eg Jesus Rodriguez Jr., or Alfonso Rey Jesus

But this would not be acceptable to the Christians in most places and labelled as blasphamey.

Actually it is a very common Latin name. I'm not sure how Filipinos pronounce it, but the Latin pronunciation is like Hey Zeus. Catholics find the name acceptable, Christians don't. Now if you argue there is no difference, many evangelicals and protestants don't accept Catholicism as proper Christianity.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Actually it is a very common Latin name. I'm not sure how Filipinos pronounce it, but the Latin pronunciation is like Hey Zeus. Catholics find the name acceptable, Christians don't. Now if you argue there is no difference, many evangelicals and protestants don't accept Catholicism as proper Christianity.

Yes that is true.
The Davinchi Code caused huge uproars too as it painted Lord Jesus in bad light. As a novel it was a great book. Morally such stories should not be allowed to circulate.

Yes that is true.
The Davinchi Code caused huge uproars too as it painted Lord Jesus in bad light. As a novel it was a great book. Morally such stories should not be allowed to circulate.

Summer the DaVinci Code is a work of pure fiction. Secondly, the book does not paint Jesus in a bad light at all. It is not even about Jesus. It merely proposes the theory that Jesus might have bore children, which while against biblical canon is in no way wrong or terrible. If you read all the gospels Jesus never vowed or preached celibacy, it is only a canonical assumption that he was celibate. I see no harm in such fiction as it is not intended to insult or harm.

Most importantly, what good is faith that is shaken by the mere figment of another mind's imagination.

In Philippines they often use the name Jesus for themselves
eg Jesus Rodriguez Jr., or Alfonso Rey Jesus

But this would not be acceptable to the Christians in most places and labelled as blasphamey.

Aree bhai...ye India main start kiya dhaaa....You can find names like 'Krishna', 'Ganpati','Shiva' etc etc....and even Muslims using the name 'Mohammed' too😃
"Do not take the Lord's name in vain" is one of the ten commandments. There is also the association of Jesus with the holy Trinity. Thus most Christian denominations thusly are uncomfortable naming their kids Jesus, and frown upon it. Latin Catholicism however views the usage of Jesus as a name differently.

Hinduism has no such prohibition thats why we see not just people named after Gods but people saying "Hey Ram!" etc which would fall under taking the Lord's name in vain. Mohammad is a prophet and not God, nor is he part of any Trinity like divine vs human debate. Hence, Muslims have no problems naming their children after the prophet.

However, due to the subcontinental influence you will see even people of Abrahamic faith break commandment by saying things like "ya Allah" "Oh Jesus!" etc. I'm not sure how Muslims view the commandments though.
Muslims always say Inshallah or Marsallah which is accepted.
But Muslims never name their children Allah , as far as I know.
Yes in Hinduism it is freely applied as the want the children to have divine qualities.
Some Christians here in East Asia frown upon those using  the expression "Oh God" or "My God"
I guess they are not so particular in western countries.

Summer the DaVinci Code is a work of pure fiction. Secondly, the book does not paint Jesus in a bad light at all. It is not even about Jesus. It merely proposes the theory that Jesus might have bore children, which while against biblical canon is in no way wrong or terrible. If you read all the gospels Jesus never vowed or preached celibacy, it is only a canonical assumption that he was celibate. I see no harm in such fiction as it is not intended to insult or harm.

Most importantly, what good is faith that is shaken by the mere figment of another mind's imagination.
Personally I enjoyed both the book and the movie.
I thought the book implies that Jesus was having an affair with Mary Magdelene, all along he has been depicted as being single. It even says the pic of the Last Supper has a her face on it.
Certain churches here banned their members from reading the book or even watching the movie.
But then the churches even discourage the watcing of Harry Potter movies, which I think is ridiculous.
Edited by Summer3 - 13 years ago

Muslims always say Inshallah or Marsallah which is accepted.
But Muslims never name their children Allah , as far as I know.

That is because Allah is God. Moses, Mohammad and other prophets are not equated to God so the commandment dilemma does not occur. God/Jesus/Holy Ghost on the other hand is the subject of many schisms over perceptions of the Trinity. Hence some people find Jesus acceptable as a name and others find it shocking.

Some Christians here in East Asia frown upon those using  the expression "Oh God" or "My God"
I guess they are not so particular in western countries.

It completely depends on denomination. Baptists and Evangelicals will take serious offense to it. I know people who feel it wrong to even say 'darn'.
Originally posted by Believe

Aree bhai...ye India main start kiya dhaaa....You can find names like 'Krishna', 'Ganpati','Shiva' etc etc....and even Muslims using the name 'Mohammed' too😃
Maharaj ji, in India sab naam chalega.😆

That is because Allah is God. Moses, Mohammad and other prophets are not equated to God so the commandment dilemma does not occur. God/Jesus/Holy Ghost on the other hand is the subject of many schisms over perceptions of the Trinity. Hence some people find Jesus acceptable as a name and others find it shocking.

It completely depends on denomination. Baptists and Evangelicals will take serious offense to it. I know people who feel it wrong to even say 'darn'.
Yep some are so strict and normally I avoid them.
They make a mountain out of a mole hill but then who wants to argue with an old grandmother.