Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

What was so special about Sridevi's appeal? (Page 2)

ShadowKisses IF-Dazzler
ShadowKisses
ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged
Oh, No You Didn't!

That has to be the first time I've come across someone who doesn't like Lamhe because of it's "tackiness" or because of Sridevi. How she pulled off a double role of characters who are the inverse of each other was amazing especially since one character did not creep into the other one, for me at least. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I adore Madhuri like no one's business but I still think she's a weaker actress than Sridevi or Juhi. Don't get me wrong, she's got amazing screen presence but her acting talent has always been overshadowed by her dancing. Her song-and-dance routines aside, the only film I can think of that Madhuri was outstanding in was Lajja or Mrityudand - and I doubt most remember watching this. Sridevi rocked in roles Madhuri wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. Take for instance the year HAHK released. The year Madhuri's candyfloss role (which was in no small part a rehash of Sri's Chandni except Chandni was better by a large mile) was the rage, Sridevi featured in a diametrically opposite role as the wicked anti-heroine in Laadla which was eagerly lapped up. I think that is a testament to the fact that Sridevi was held to a much more diverse standard than other actors.

The best thing about Sridevi for me has always been that even when the movies were awful (e.g. Chaalbaaz for one), she managed to be good. She also played larger-than-life figures for a greater part of her career but the irony is that she is most remembered as Chandni (at least in Hindi cinema) - a simplistic figure - and she pulled it off with such grace and elan that the relatively normal figure became someone more surreal. She was much more versatile - playing a plethora of roles like the insane wife or the vivacious girl in Khudha Gawah (where I thought she overpowerd Amitabh) and acting well. IMO, Sridevi's appeal was a mixture of her acting talent, her looks, her versatility, her dancing and her screen presence. Annd, who can forget her inadvertently funny "dance" videos with Jeetendra (biggest non-dancer EVER!)? They have me in tears of laughter everytime someone decides to pop the DVD in.

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

amy7chatpati900Rekha_jiangelshypria4everMKrayZeeladygagapooja_lBeyond_the_VeilWhipCreamPantieAntlersLifeOLiciouspetticoatMallika-E-Bhais

mz.jess IF-Sizzlerz
mz.jess
mz.jess

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kyaktsar

It's strange how I like neither of them when I was growing up..I was a big fan of Juhi Chawla and continued to remain so...

But I watched Madhuri in Devdas and Mrityudand and she blew me away...She was absolute poetry in Devdas. She played Chandramukhi to the perfection and can feel the pain she was going through. Mitryudand is another powerful movie of hers where the dance queen steps back and her acting was on display..This is clearly the reason why I love Prakash jha's storytelling...

SAME here! I didn't dislike them but I wasn't a huge fan or anything! I adored Juhi Chawla though! She's awesome!

However, I think Sridevi has this sorta spunk & elegance at the same time, it's hard to find with actresses
ibelieveinpink IF-Stunnerz
ibelieveinpink
ibelieveinpink

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged
Easy...she had the girl next door appeal, but she was still sensual! her expressions were brilliant! And at her time, she was one of the only leading actresses to be so versatile...she did comedy, romance, drama, and such a beautiful dancer!! I loved her comedy in the movie roop ki rani and her chinese avatar!!!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

eraser

LifeOLicious IF-Sizzlerz
LifeOLicious
LifeOLicious

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kyaktsar

It's strange how I like neither of them when I was growing up..I was a big fan of Juhi Chawla and continued to remain so...

Me too! LOL  Juhi was fabulousss....and so pretty and so cute. You wanted to hug her even in her most atrocious roles! LOL

I like Madhuri later in her career....Pukar, Mrityudand, Devdas....I am not a fan of her performances in her early career (barring Prahaar & Parinda)....just loved her songs and dances.

I liked Sridevi always....not a fan but liked her....she had a lot of spunk I agree....I think that is what was so much fun about watching her. She was also very versatile....she played it all....eye-candy roles, comedy, drama, romance, negative....and she did them all very well. Her voice was ya not that great but it never bothered me.

Edited by LifeOLicious - 02 January 2011 at 2:48pm
ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
She was a brilliant actress and her dancing was brilliant. I am not a massive fan though

eraser

MissIffiy IF-Rockerz
MissIffiy
MissIffiy

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged
I have not seen many of her films I saw the film with salman & the film where srk dies & the film with Rishi thats about it she has that screen presence & charm 
WhipCreamPantie IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

-Mmmmm-

Rekha_ji IF-Dazzler
Rekha_ji
Rekha_ji

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged
Sridevi's appeal is undeniable.
But she was hit or miss throughout her career.
I'd compare her to the present with Aishwarya Rai.
An undoubtedly applauded star - but also a quite patchy film career.

Sridevi's voice and mannersisms are what make her "special".
Lamhe is one of her best roles.

When it comes to the inevitable Madhuri comparison - I'd pick Mads for sure.

Meredith

Go to top