Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 7:30am | IP Logged
What a interesting topic . More interesting is that we can find out about each other's culture and bust some myths .

T.V is a fair reflection of Indian culture with melodrama added to the whole thing . We ,Indians i suppose respect parents as much as in other Asians cultures and certainly 100% more than the Western culture . Also we do have exceptions every where . We have people who turn out lousy kids or lousy human beings . I have a Aunt who's like that . This woman is highly disrespectfull of her mom . And lo behold .....her 13 year old daughter has turned out just like her and has no respect for her mother and her grandmother and Aunts . What i am trying to say .....There are often bad apples . And thats what sometimes serials portray !!!

About Pre marital sex , its happening all the time ....BUT its pretty taboo . I have never heard a girl ever openly admit to such a thing .baby before marriage ....well it might be happening and is hush hush ....Indians don't  ever ever walk around with out marriage with pregnant bellies . They'd be shunned by the society !!
About clothes they wear in TV shows , thats often worn by film actresses or models or when people hang out . I am a very modern person who wears tank tops , shorts...........but i would never ever have the guts to walk around the streets of India , even New Delhi in such clothes . People are modern in big cities .....but not so modern that they won't ogle at you and pass comments !!

Although i feel our culture are similar , differing due to religous outlook but I'd sure like to know about your culture in details !! Smile

Edited by indygirl - 22 December 2005 at 7:33am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "real culture or fake? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 12:16pm | IP Logged
Fake huni, a lot of it is fake LOL .

Indian culture is very hard to describe, its so different part to part. Clothes, food and such.Festivals and celebrations are very busy and there are many people like they show. The atmosphere is festive and colorful.

Somethings that I see that are different are-

Marraige is very a very important institution in India among all communities. To get a divorce in India is still difficult, not as easy as in the US (I saw a sign the other day Divorce for 50USD) and definitely not as easy as Ekta Kapoor shows its to be. Divorce is a big deal in India as it should be.

Now about younger lot, well different strokes for different folks. But girls arent allowed to stay later at night than boys is what I've typically noticed. For good reason I must say, if you've ever been to Delhi, its quite easy to get kidnapped or assaulted. The capital city of India is quite unsafe for young (and older too) women these days Confused .

In urban India to have a boyfriend/girlfriend might be getting more and more common but not in rural India. Also, people choosing their own partner for marraige rather than their parents is also more an urban thing. Rural india still believes families make a better choice.

And well getting pregnant before marraige the less I say the better. It's not cool to get pregnant or fool around before marraige in a lot of the families in India.

Some states in India are more progressive than others. Progressive meaning educating women, allowing them to work and such (not wearing short skirts and drinking).

OF course everyone knows India is not that wealthy. There are more lower income families than higher so children often dont get to make a fashion statement on an everyday basis. They are not dressed to kill everyday, some special days maybe birthdays or weddings.

And last of all, most kids have to do as parents say especially about things like school, having a boyfriend or not, meeting friends, what is appropriate to dress in and such. Rules are sometimes broken but parents still call the shots for the most part.

MonicA#1Actress

Goldie

MonicA#1Actress

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 4:37pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Dashing Boy

it's 100% fake!!!!!!!! none of the two medias reflecting our culture, they r just blindly trying to copy west.

LOL maybe that is true, but I know some well-to-do places in India and Pakistan have situations like that, but it definately not reflective of our culture.

BTW I have a question for you, your avatarl what movie or what is it LOLzz! 

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 5:19pm | IP Logged
Rindam beautifully described . Great job !! Clap

anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 23 December 2005 at 10:52am | IP Logged
i agree with vishesh to some extend but the culture in buniyaad and humlog is also limited to only few. india is diverse and most of the things shown on these tv shows depict our culture to an extend.

people are basically same but the mentality change according to culture and class. take for instance hema malini. she is not dharmendra's legal wife but she is still referred to as his wife because she is part of page 3 culture. if this was a situation in middle class household then a woman would think twice before taking such a step. now coming to villages there are cases where a woman is forced to marry two men for obvious reasons.

there were gay bars in bangalore in late 80s. i have seen women in really short skirts and tank tops in bandra (mumbai). if you are in pali hill or malabar hill no one would raise eyebrows. but if you wear the same on an ordinary street be ready for despicable glances. so as i said before people are the same but their outlook changes with culture change and class.

Edited by bluepink - 23 December 2005 at 11:11am

ashley1

ashley1

Posted: 23 December 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged
Its not real or fake. If you wanna see the real culture of someone, you need to go live within them & not agree to what the media says. And don't even care about the Indian dramas, they are just ONE PERSON's THOUGHT PROCESS...the script writer. Angry I hate 80% of these dramas, & still watch them, because English programmes are usually too dirty to watch with the parents in the living room.   

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 23 December 2005 at 11:28pm | IP Logged
I too agree with Vishes . Although serials mentioned - Humlog , Buniyaad reflect only a certain section and that too 20 years ago !!

dare_dis_devil

Groupbie

dare_dis_devil

Posted: 24 December 2005 at 1:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dashing Boy

it's 100% fake!!!!!!!! none of the two medias reflecting our culture, they r just blindly trying to copy west.

xaktly...agree wid dis totally!!!

n not only in terms of modernity, but seriously evn d kinda rituals n ceremonies they show on teevee is like.....outrageous n totally bizzare....

Post Reply New Post

Go to top