Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

How do you handle it?

tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged
Okay, since this is the Debate Mansion, I thought I should pose this questions here! Smile

So okay, I just had a very irritating debate with a family friend of ours, and it ended with me just getting upset. Ermm Basically, I didn't want to argue with this person because I know he doesn't have any point and doesn't really know what he's talking about. He just entered the a conversation I was having with my dad. 

Anyways, the purpose of my topic is: How do you debate with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about? 

i always get so frustrated with many uncles in my family because they just talk nonsense in their debates with each other and everyone else. How do you all handle such people? (These are my elders too, so I have to be respectful even though most of the time they're not. Ermm)

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

rekhab25xobilemr.assAngel-likeDevil-Aaliyah-

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tulipbaby53

Okay, since this is the Debate Mansion, I thought I should pose this questions here! Smile

So okay, I just had a very irritating debate with a family friend of ours, and it ended with me just getting upset. Ermm Basically, I didn't want to argue with this person because I know he doesn't have any point and doesn't really know what he's talking about. He just entered the a conversation I was having with my dad. 

Anyways, the purpose of my topic is: How do you debate with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about? 

i always get so frustrated with many uncles in my family because they just talk nonsense in their debates with each other and everyone else. How do you all handle such people? (These are my elders too, so I have to be respectful even though most of the time they're not. Ermm)

Man! I love the new debates that people bring up these days! Big smile Nothing to do with crap like religion or sex, etc.

When you debate with someone who doesn't know jack shit about anything pertaining to the discussion (or even a person with half baked knowledge on the concept), you might be  too involved in discussing so you might lose your temper. A person who realises this, however, will be calm and normally ignore the person, or tell them bluntly they don't have much info on the subject.

Sometimes I lose my temper with them, but that has started ocurring very rarely as of late.

The other day my friend spoke with me over the phone and he told me that charting in the stock market  wasn't going to be of much use unless you know what happened in the market on that day. He told me whats the use of the breakout if you don't know whether the promoters are doing this, the customers are buying that etc. I asked him if he read any books on charting or tested them out, and he said "no". I told him to go read it first.

So yeah, I just tell people to look up their facts without making a scene.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

tulipbaby53

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged

Feel free and Express your view/opinion and Dont Debate with them....Big smile 

Generaly others opinions are meaningful only because you don't know anything...don't pay attention to what others say. this is a disease....they will drive you crazy ...the others..... Who are these others and why are you so much interested in them?... they drive you crazy and you drive them crazy becos you are the other to them..... Why pay so much importance to others opinions?.... Pay attention to ur own experiences and remain true to ur own experiences...we are not confident, so we must gather others opinions...but If we dont know someting ask/reffer doubt with others...nothing wrong in it..Smile

tulipbaby53

tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

Man! I love the new debates that people bring up these days! Big smile Nothing to do with crap like religion or sex, etc.

When you debate with someone who doesn't know jack shit about anything pertaining to the discussion (or even a person with half baked knowledge on the concept), you might be  too involved in discussing so you might lose your temper. A person who realises this, however, will be calm and normally ignore the person, or tell them bluntly they don't have much info on the subject.

Sometimes I lose my temper with them, but that has started ocurring very rarely as of late.

The other day my friend spoke with me over the phone and he told me that charting in the stock market  wasn't going to be of much use unless you know what happened in the market on that day. He told me whats the use of the breakout if you don't know whether the promoters are doing this, the customers are buying that etc. I asked him if he read any books on charting or tested them out, and he said "no". I told him to go read it first.

So yeah, I just tell people to look up their facts without making a scene.

I'm glad you liked the topic! Big smile Thank you so much for taking the time and replying, OBJ! 

I many times do get angry or upset by what they say, but I think some people enjoy making up facts to irritate others. i notice many of my relatives do this, and they throughly enjoy the reactions they get out of people. I usually will avoid debates with them.

Sometimes though, I don't even want to start a debate, but somehow they trap me in one! I don't even realize I'm in it, and the thing with them, if I walk away telling them they don't know what they're talking about or to look up their facts, they will tell everyone else they know how I don't know my facts, and how they proved me wrong. Ermm Then what to do? LOL
tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Feel free and Express your view/opinion and Dont Debate with them....Big smile 

Generaly others opinions are meaningful only because you don't know anything...don't pay attention to what others say. this is a disease....they will drive you crazy ...the others..... Who are these others and why are you so much interested in them?... they drive you crazy and you drive them crazy becos you are the other to them..... Why pay so much importance to others opinions?.... Pay attention to ur own experiences and remain true to ur own experiences...we are not confident, so we must gather others opinions...but If we dont know someting ask/reffer doubt with others...nothing wrong in it..Smile

Yes, that is true. I should act with more maturity Smile
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged

I'm glad you liked the topic! Big smile Thank you so much for taking the time and replying, OBJ! 

I many times do get angry or upset by what they say, but I think some people enjoy making up facts to irritate others. i notice many of my relatives do this, and they throughly enjoy the reactions they get out of people. I usually will avoid debates with them.

Sometimes though, I don't even want to start a debate, but somehow they trap me in one! I don't even realize I'm in it, and the thing with them, if I walk away telling them they don't know what they're talking about or to look up their facts, they will tell everyone else they know how I don't know my facts, and how they proved me wrong. Ermm Then what to do? LOL

I avoid discussions with people in the first paragraph! LOL 

Come to think of it, I avoid those in the second paragraph too. Or you COULD make a scene calling them inferiority complexed idiots who don't have the balls  to admit they're wrong. But then its your family so you might not wanna do it LOL

tulipbaby53

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 3:08am | IP Logged
Very good topic Tulip!

I think the key cause of tension in such cases is not a lack of knowledge but a large ego. Most people are not experts on most things, but discussions are only enjoyable when more people join in. Problems arise when someone with an incomplete understanding of the subject is too arrogant to accept that he might be wrong. When you start prioritising your ego over the truth in this way, you have taken the debate too personally. Debating requires a certain degree of aloofness so as not to see a counterargument as a personal jab or a putdown.

When I fall into a discussion with someone who is not willing to have a reasoned debate, it is very frustrating because it seems like a waste of time and energy. The best solution is to be dishonest and agree with him or to try and change the topic.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RainbowWarriortulipbaby53

-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged
Basically everyone already said about what I was gonna say!
Good luck with that Varsha! LOL

tulipbaby53

Go to top