Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Old songs or New songs, what do u think?

Ranbir.Fan Senior Member
Ranbir.Fan
Ranbir.Fan

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 1:37am | IP Logged
Many a times u must have come across this debate. My uncle always says that the old songs i.e songs of rafi, kishore, lata, etc used to be much better than the todays songs, earlier the singers were more talented & blah blah, & not only him but I have heard this from many other people. I have tried hard but I dont know why I dont approve of it at all. I feel that things become better with generation after generation.  The only thing is that earlier things were different, the lyrics used to be more meaningful, there were fewer no. of songs, there were hardly tv's & media stuff for creating hype. Today the only thing is that unlike old song these new songs become popular for time being are easily forgettable after a while.  No offense but I feel singers today have a better voice quality than the earlier generation singers, this is what I feel. And I remember even Shekhar said the same thing once on the show. 
Whats your opinion on this, do share your honest views over thisSmile

Fan_Number1 Groupbie
Fan_Number1
Fan_Number1

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ranbir.Fan

Many a times u must have come across this debate. My uncle always says that the old songs i.e songs of rafi, kishore, lata, etc used to be much better than the todays songs, earlier the singers were more talented & blah blah, & not only him but I have heard this from many other people. I have tried hard but I dont know why I dont approve of it at all. I feel that things become better with generation after generation.  The only thing is that earlier things were different, the lyrics used to be more meaningful, there were fewer no. of songs, there were hardly tv's & media stuff for creating hype. Today the only thing is that unlike old song these new songs become popular for time being are easily forgettable after a while.  No offense but I feel singers today have a better voice quality than the earlier generation singers, this is what I feel. And I remember even Shekhar said the same thing once on the show. 
Whats your opinion on this, do share your honest views over thisSmile

If you are aware of Raag, Taal or basics of music and singing then u can understand how great were the Rafi, Kishoreda, Lataji, Ashaji, Mukesh etc...all of them having capabilities of voice range and do lot of riaaz for tuning and polishing their voice quality. todays' singer are good but lyrics and music is different. todays music is based on synthesizer compared to separate music instruments in earlier days. todays' music is less dependent on Indian Classical base.
Just listen all type of songs sung by any of legendary singers of earlier days. you feel the difference.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged
Well Garuda Bhai is right. The standards demanded in olden days was very high.
But I guess certain new songs are pretty goodgoto. These days certain arrangements and better equipment has added some value.
Music industry is changing and not all new songs may stand the test of time. But I guess taste too varies over time.
Certain old songs never get old N are still my favorite.
I do like some new songs too as human beings get bored easily.
Some say old is gold but I think a balance is needed.

Most old songs are not easy to sing. These days old songs are being remixed and rearranged too.
Anyway to each his own as my favorites cover both.

Edited by Summer3 - 31 December 2010 at 4:03pm
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged
I like melodious, acoustic, vocal music so I listen to old or traditional albums. Some films songs these days are also quite melodious, but it's more difficult to notice or find them because TV and radio channels mostly promote dance/item songs.

Edited by xobile - 01 January 2011 at 8:07am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Fan_Number1diamond444

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top