Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Mar 18, 2011

WEB EXCLUSIVE

'We're not running away': Fukushima worker

By Hannah Koh

Workers wearing protective clothing and respirators head towards the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

ONE lone voice has emerged from the group of heroic workers at Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco), which runs the quake-stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, where workers are scrambling to cool the nuclear plant and avoid a meltdown.

Michiko Otsuki - a female worker at Tepco - has written on her blog, speaking up for her 'silent' colleagues who remained behind at the plant.

She had been quoted a little in some overseas English reports but The Straits Times Online tracked and translated her blog to find out her full story when she first posted on popular Japanese social networking site Mixi.

By Thursday however, her post had been taken down, but the entry had already been reproduced by several online blogs and in Japanese language forums.

Ms Otsuki is one of the 800 employees evacuated from the plant on Monday, leaving 50 workers behind to battle the nuclear crisis.

On Tuesday, she addressed the growing criticisms levelled at Tepco.

'People have been flaming Tepco,' she said. 'But the staff of Tepco have refused to flee, and continue to work even at the peril of their own lives. Please stop attacking us.'

Tepco, which powers Japan's capital and largest city Tokyo, is one of the main players in the world of Japanese nuclear power, with a history of safety violations.

Even Prime Minister Naoto Kan, frustrated that an explosion featured in the news had not been reported to the Prime Minister's office, is reported to have burst into an executive meeting at the company and demanded what was going on.

However, Ms Otsuki's blog post gives the world a glimpse of the tireless, faceless crew - now dubbed the Fukushima 50 - who are working on the frontline to stop the nuclear crisis from escalating, risking the effects of radiation. In the most severe cases, radiation can lead to higher chances of developing cancer, or even death.

'As a worker at Tepco and a member of the Fukushima No. 2 reactor team, I was dealing with the crisis at the scene until yesterday (Monday).'

'In the midst of the tsunami alarm (last Friday), at 3am in the night when we couldn't even see where we going, we carried on working to restore the reactors from where we were, right by the sea, with the realisation that this could be certain death,' she said.

'The machine that cools the reactor is just by the ocean, and it was wrecked by the tsunami. Everyone worked desperately to try and restore it. Fighting fatigue and empty stomachs, we dragged ourselves back to work.

'There are many who haven't gotten in touch with their family members, but are facing the present situation and working hard.'

Battling On

'Please remember that. I want this message to reach even just one more person. Everyone at the power plant is battling on, without running away.

'To all the residents (around the plant) who have been alarmed and worried, I am truly, deeply sorry.

'I am writing my name down, knowing I will be abused and hurt because of this. There are people working to protect all of you, even in exchange for their own lives.

'Watching my co-workers putting their lives on the line without a second thought in this situation, I'm proud to be a member of Tepco, and a member of the team behind Fukushima No. 2 reactor.

'I hope to return to the plant and work on the restoration of the reactor.'

But her pleas seem to have gone unheard. The original post has now been taken down and she has instead posted an apology: 'I am very sorry, but I have locked the post as it was being used in a way I had not intended it to be.

'Having seen what's happening on the ground, my message to all of you remains the same. But others have changed the contents of the post and used it for the wrong reasons, like fanning fear amongst others, and I have therefore decided to lock my post.

'I am praying from the bottom of my heart for the safety of your loved ones. I am sorry it (the blog post) has turned out this way

Summer3 thumbnail
Is it so sad.
But I admire their spirit, that is what counts in life.
Edited by Summer3 - 13 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
When the pain and sorrow is so intense some become suicidal and a few block out everything mentally and move on, and even help the rest.
Hi
HOpe everything's just fine for everyone. A bit cranky these days and a bit indifferent to things.
I'll start to read in few days from now on. Issues to solve. I feel disconnected to the world.
Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: lalixlily

Hi
HOpe everything's just fine for everyone. A bit cranky these days and a bit indifferent to things.
I'll start to read in few days from now on. Issues to solve. I feel disconnected to the world.

Take a break take sometime off and do some soul searching.
You are torn between two different worlds and worries.
Say a little prayer and all will go well.
Be positive again, darkest hour is before dawn.

Summer3 thumbnail
Love has a way of creeping into our lives and upsetting our plans. Yet we crave for more and ignore the bitter rind and thorns that protect it.
the results will be given 6 days from now, I do feel anxious. I  want success. It is important for me. As for love I don't bother. It comes when it's the right time. I hope I make it for the oral exam. I have problems w/my dad. Paris is my main focus. I need mind support, my friends are great. I miss my green eyed boy. But we need some distance btwn us, he needs time I need him. Don't want to put pressure. I feel I need a man I can rely on.........Other than my father.
Summer3 thumbnail
Be nice to your dad as I guess he too misses your mum.
Do not worry you will do well. Most important to keep your spirit up. All will be well. God Bless.
I feel better, thanksEdited by lalixlily - 13 years ago
Edited..... Edited by lalixlily - 13 years ago